Menu

High School Science that is not math intensive

My daughter is starting biology for 9th grade. She loves science and is an excellent reader. But, she is not good in Math. Is there Biology, Chemistry and Anatomy and Physiology that is not math heavy, and also includes the lab experiments on a CD-Rom?(Similar to BJU but not BJU if that makes sense). I don't think we are going to include Physics. I don't think she can handle that course even later on in high school.

Biology doesn't have to be math heavy, but math helps a great deal with the chemistry which in turn helps with the bio-chem that is such a big part of it all.

I am not sure I woud write off Physics. 4 years is a long time in the life of a learner. What they can do entering it is far different from what they become able to do with more time and information. If you search threads you will see a great deal about Conceptual Physics, Conceptual Chemistry, Conceptual Physical Science. These all feature math lite presentations.

If you really think she will struggle, maybe try the Conceptual Physical Science which may give a very general introduction to the Chemistry and Physics. Hewitt has a Conceptual Physical Science.

I noticed your Dd is a figure skater. Dd dances and she really made connections with the sciences (physics for movement, chemistry for energy exchanges...) because of dance.

Well, we did Apologia Physical science this year for 8th. It was quite easy for the parent and child to use without DVD help. But besides BJU, Abeka are there any upper level sciences that come with DVD lectures?(not online classes). Or, is Apologia easy enough for a parent to help the child alone? Biology and Anatomy and Phys. would not be a problem for me. But Chemistry I would need help with(I am not good in math). I looked at Science Shepherd for Biology and like that. But I am planning ahead for 4 years of high school, and am really stuck on Chemistry and Physics. I need a DVD teacher for those.

Conceptual Physics is definitely light on math. I'm using it this year for my 14yo who struggled with algebra and with another 14yo who is taking algebra I concurrently. It hasn't required anything beyond what is typically taught in prealgebra so far. A little bit of equation manipulation and some unit conversions, but nothing beyond that.

For next year, I'll be using conceptual chemistry and it is also very light in math.

I would recommend Conceptual Physics and then Conceptual Chemistry because I think the physics course is actually easier than the chemistry course. Conceptual chemistry has a lot of biochem in it and so it's a perfect lead-in to biology.

Friendly Chemistry is a good option if you need very non-mathy chemistry. It's very gentle, and includes some visuals like games. It covers most of the typical chemistry bases but nothing to give you a headache. When I used it years ago, it was really designed for a co-op, but I think they've adapted it more for the individual family these days.

Spectrum Chemistry is quite mathy but the author has a little math course for prep (Bridge Math), and the author and his staff quickly answer questions when you are stuck, so that's a great advantage. It's also concise, which is good for kids who zone out in long texts, but could be too short for a few kids.

Another good help if you like Apologia is Virtual Homeschool Group, which has a live Biology course, and I believe their Chem and Physics are both prerecorded. http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/

Tammie provides this amazingly free resource, and she even has office hours for kids (and parents) to ask her questions. I feel her lessons are solid (whether prerecorded or live). Live is really nice when it comes to reviews, because they are more like games; however, sometimes with live you get the goofy kids typing in whatever comes to their minds. The grading is nice for parents but a bit easier for kids since everything has to be multiple choice. I personally would do labs separately, because she counts them as "extra credit" so they skew the grade, IMHO (I don't think they need to be graded, necessarily, as they aren't at our local ps, but I don't think they should give extra points, but that's just me obviously). She has some good lab ideas, too, if you want to go outside the ones in the textbook. Another benefit of VHG is getting kids used to Moodle, which is the kind of thing most colleges use these days.

Julie