Menu

Statistics was one class that we outsourced. My daughter took AP Statistics as a senior through PA Homeschoolers. She learned a great deal, scored a five on the AP exam, and has used the information she learned in some of her college classes. I recommend the class.

Regards,

Kareni

Statistics was one class that we outsourced. My daughter took AP Statistics as a senior through PA Homeschoolers. She learned a great deal, scored a five on the AP exam, and has used the information she learned in some of her college classes. I recommend the class.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

Do you recall the general time commitment for this course? Thanks!

Regards,

Kareni

I agree with Kareni. My ds is in the PA Homeschoolers class right now and really enjoys it.

He says he spends a little more time on it than the AP Calc and Chem classes--about 13-15 hrs/wk as a guess.

My daughter is also taking AP Stats at PA Homeschoolers this year (as well as AP Calculus BC, APUSH and Eng. Lit). She is spending far less time than others have suggested--5 to 7 hours a week at most, and that includes fully participating in earning bonus points. AP Calc on the other hand is 12+ hours per week.

The thing with Stats is that to do well you need a combination of strong math and verbal/writing skills. Strong math alone will only get you part of the way there because the AP stat's free response questions require verbal context, not just math solutions (similar to AP Economics). I think if both skill sets are in place, the 5-7 hour range per week is on target, while the course may require 12+ hours otherwise.

I'd also highly recommend the course. The teacher is excellent!

Nancy

If you want to teach statistics at home, do you have any recommendations? What text does PA Homeschoolers use?

This is the text they will be using next year:

The Practice of Statistics, Daren S. Starnes; Dan Yates; David S. Moore (2010) Fourth Edition. New York: W.H. Freeman and Co. ISBN-10: 1-4292-4559-X or ISBN-13: 978-1-4292-4559-3

Here is the page with the pertinent information.

When my daughter took the class four years ago, she used an earlier edition of the same book.

Regards,

Kareni

If you want to teach statistics at home, do you have any recommendations?

This is what my guy used to get a 5 on the AP test. He did not take an AP course, but did take the test and his college gave him credits for it.

The Practice of Statistics (Third Edition) by Daniel Yates, David Moore, & Daren Starnes.

Since my guy was self-studying, I bought him the Teacher's Edition (used). I needed him to have the answers to the problems. The ISBN to find it is:

978-0-7167-7703-8

I also bought the companion CD software which he used some. Here's the ISBN for that:

0-7167-7712-6

The REA Guide (4th Edition) is:

978-0-7386-0790-0

All of the recommendations were from here and I fully appreciate them! They worked for my guy.

ChallDust has a statistics course. It is the only CD class we did not use, but everything else CD was excellent. I am kind of sad that we never got to it.

Terri

Thanks for mentioning this! Does anyone else know about this course with Chalkdust, in particular whether it would prepare for the AP Statistics Exam?

You could try asking CD, but they may not know. I had the same question about their Calc program and the AP Calc AB exam. We took the TOC to the AP Calc teacher at a local high school, and it took her about 30 seconds to say we would need to study one topic in the text that was not covered in the chapters CD covered. I don't know if that will be any help, but it was a lot easier than my trying to match the AP syllabus to the TOC, considering that I had zero idea what those words meant.

Terri

Found these resources on a high school AP Stats webpage for The Practice of Statistics (3rd Edition) by Yates, Moore, & Starnes and thought someone might find it useful

Chapter Summaries

Practice tests with answers

The book's website also have three additional chapters under student resources on analysis of variance, multiple linear regression and logistic regression.

Udacity has a free statistics course:

https://www.udacity.com/course/st101

We haven't done this one, but we have been working through the udacity Python course, which has been GREAT. It's a different person doing the stat one, but it's very likely worth looking at.

I'm guessing it has a much better chance of being good than the coursera ones. I've now tried a number of coursera courses (many in the math end of things). They ranged from incomprehensible to inane -- with nothing good in between. So if someone finds that coursera stat course good, be sure to report back.

ETA:

I hate enabling anyone going to coursera after my experiences there, but there are 2 stats courses that are either in session or already finished. The materials are still available (?), so you wouldn't have to wait a month to get started. You just can't get a certificate of completion now that these courses are over, but I really doubt those are worth anything except to stroke one's ego.

https://www.coursera.org/course/dataanalysis

https://www.coursera.org/course/stats1

One of these days (when my daughter wants to take a break from calc) I'll probably be looking into all these courses, so I might have some more thoughts on them then.

Found these resources on a high school AP Stats webpage for The Practice of Statistics (3rd Edition) by Yates, Moore, & Starnes and thought someone might find it useful

Chapter Summaries

Practice tests with answers

The book's websitealso have three additional chapters under student resources on analysis of variance, multiple linear regression and logistic regression.

Thanks for the links. They look useful.

Thanks to everyone for the resource lists/links!

Also, I found Stats DVDs with Dana Mosley lectures by Cengage (5th edition). I got them used for under $10, including shipping. I ordered the book that goes with these lectures for about $6, also including shipping--Understanding Basic Statistics by Brase, 5th edition. I don't know if this course is aligned to the AP Stats exam, so I will have to do some researching to figure that out. What I bought appears to be identical to what CD is selling for close to $400--but you don't get whatever extra CD offers (phone help, replacement DVDs?). CD sells a stats course with 7 DVDs and the set I bought has 4. I compared them, and they appear to be the same. The Cengage set puts more lectures on each DVD. The set I got, the first DVD seems to work fine on our DVD player so far, haven't tried to view them on a computer. Here's the ISBN for the DVDs: 978-0547188423