Menu

Is it me, or do all 12 yr. old boys....

Never voluntarily bath(with soap and shampoo) or change their clothe with out threat.

Ugh. My son has not actually washed his hair in a week. Blech!:ack2:

So under threat that "mommy will come help you" I have sent him do do his job.:gnorsi:

Never voluntarily bath(with soap and shampoo) or change their clothe with out threat.

So under threat that "mommy will come help you" I have sent him do do his job.:gnorsi:

LOL!

I have 13yo twin boys (identical), and they are pretty good at keeping clean now.

But a couple of years ago, they were like Felix and Oscar. One of them would have worn the same clothes all week long without showering, and the other was pretty clean most of the time.

He really will outgrow it. ;)

Oh, just you wait, Tracy. This stage won't last. Soon he'll be primping like a girl...

My daughter and I always laugh when I say my boys are "like girls"--What I mean is, the stereotypical girl who takes an hour to do her hair--and we laugh because dd can be in and out of the shower, cleaned and beautified, in about 5 minutes. The boys? I have to take my shower before them, or there's little hope for hot water!:lol::lol:

It won't be long, truly. Until then, keep on 'em.

I remember my friend Beth, commenting on her 8 year old boy--sighing, "Soon he'll be all stinky and hairy..." :lol:

The stinky doesn't last once puberty hits full blast. The hairy? That's a different story!

and not one of them has showered voluntarily, hmphhh! And they're so stinky at this age, too, lol! What is so painful about taking a shower?:glare:

Somewhere after reminding them a kbillion times, they start taking care of their own hygiene...well, at least my 18yo does;)

No, it's not just you :001_smile:

My 12yo will voluntarily shower, but must be reminded to use soap and shampoo. He will put on clean clothes, if he has them, but needs to be reminded to bring his dirty ones to the laundry. And if the only clean clothes he has are a pair of camo pants and a navy blue and red striped polo shirt that's what he will wear, and will put up a fuss when asked to change.:tongue_smilie:

He refuses to wear deodorant.

My almost 15yo is just starting to grow out of this, but not quickly enough, as football season starts in a few weeks, lol.

Maybe it's the fact that they live on a farm, but my guys are conscientious about their personal grooming, especially my oldest. I've always heard about that stage when one has to practically force the boy to bathe, but so far it's not been my experience.

In our house, it seems that this subject is closely related to personality type--the Type A first-born is the one who doesn't need reminding about personal hygiene, while the 2nd born would not shower in a month of Sundays without my needling.

Strange creatures, these teens and 'tweens! There's never a dull moment, but in a good way usually!

Chelle

It's not just 12yo boys. It's 7yo boys, 8yo boys, 10yo boys, etc. None of my boys (except the 5yo) bathe voluntarily. I'm lucky if I can get them to bathe once a week (Saturday so they'll be clean for Sunday church). Occasionally my 10yo will ask to take a shower (well, duh...please, by all means, take a shower!). The others...forget it. It's a boy thing.

Maybe it's the fact that they live on a farm, but my guys are conscientious about their personal grooming, especially my oldest. I've always heard about that stage when one has to practically force the boy to bathe, but so far it's not been my experience.

Same here! But we don't live on a farm. :tongue_smilie: My 12 yo always asks to take a shower every night, even if we say he doesn't have to on occasion. Last night, we got home very late from a friend's house, and he hadn't been outside or gotten dirty all day, so we said he could skip it and just go to bed. He said he really wanted to take one anyway! Apparently he's in the minority, but I'm so glad! :)

Erica

Same here! But we don't live on a farm. :tongue_smilie: My 12 yo always asks to take a shower every night, even if we say he doesn't have to on occasion. Last night, we got home very late from a friend's house, and he hadn't been outside or gotten dirty all day, so we said he could skip it and just go to bed. He said he really wanted to take one anyway! Apparently he's in the minority, but I'm so glad!

Yep.:)

My 13 year old takes a shower every morning. I still have to ask him if he remembered to brush his teeth, though. Now, my 9 year old has been known to go in the bathroom and come back out a minute later dry. When I ask him if he is done with his bath, the response is either" I forgot to take a bath" or Is that why I was in there? I was trying to remember why I went in.":lol:

Elmeryl(with J13, C9, R7, L7)

No, it's not just you :001_smile:

My 12yo will voluntarily shower, but must be reminded to use soap and shampoo. He will put on clean clothes, if he has them, but needs to be reminded to bring his dirty ones to the laundry. And if the only clean clothes he has are a pair of camo pants and a navy blue and red striped polo shirt that's what he will wear, and will put up a fuss when asked to change.:tongue_smilie:

He refuses to wear deodorant.

My almost 15yo is just starting to grow out of this, but not quickly enough, as football season starts in a few weeks, lol.

my son, 15 in september, has followed this exact same pattern. in the past month i have finally gotten him to use body washes like Old Spice, Mennen, and even Axe. i emphasize how 'manly' these brands are. last night he actually asked where his deodorant was. he's had that in his stash since he was 11!

August 11 he starts public high school. it's finally occurring to him that maybe he shouldn't stink!

U'mmm, 16-yr-old boys do not seem overly fond of soap either. :glare: Stinkers!

It's amazing that Soap & Water Aversion Syndrome (SWAS) seems to kick in at the same time their hormones do -- i.e., when they need it the most!

Mine is pretty particular when we're going somewhere, but if we're just hanging around the house for a few days, he gets pretty stinky.

We aren't on a farm, but my oldest has yet to go through the force to bathe stage. He just turned 13. My kids are outside, riding their bikes, playing soccer, and running around all the time, so they are pretty stinky at the end of the day. Maybe that has something to do with it. They just cannot stand to be with themselves at the end of the day.:lol:

Shoot, we live on a ranch and when mine were that age they were dirty little twerps. Only the oldest has outgrown it, the twin/triplet boys are still bums.

Do you know how many of us have pounded on locked bathrooms doors and shouted "Are you using water.....and SOAP???"

I can't speak for a 12 year old boy...but my 9 year old, about a year ago took a shower and just out of the blue I said, "did you wash with soap?" He looked at me like I was crazy. "I don't need to use soap mom!" "Ummmmm yes you do, son. You have to wash your hair, armpits, and butt at least!" Then he gets this sulky look and says, "I dont' have to wash my butt." OMG OMG OMG! "Son...tell me you are joking. You do wash your bottom, right?" "Umm...I need to go take another shower."

Come to find out, not only was he not washing his bottom, he was not necessarily wiping when he went #2 either. I was SHOCKED. Things I thought you really didn't have to tell a 9 year old boy! We had a nice health lesson, and I PRAY he is now washing all parts as required. He refuses to let me anywhere near the bathroom when he showers. He likes his privacy and I respect that...as long as he WASHES his body!

Introduce your 12 year old to GIRLS. That tends to clean 'em up really quickly. :)

OMGoodness! I just had an all out battle about this last night with my 12yr old.

Me- "Dude, seriously, you reek."

Son- "Wha? I showered like Thursday."

Me- "Hello. It's Sunday. It's 100 degrees outside. You are sweaty and stinky. Go shower."

Son- "Fine. Geesh."

5 minutes after shower.

Me- "Did you use soap and shampoo?"

Son- "Uh yeah. I think. Probably."

Me- "Probably NOT. Go try again. You are still gagging me."

Son- "Fine but don't complain to me when you run out of shampoo."

What? LOL :glare:

This morning he commented that his hair felt different and was laying down better. HELLOOOOOO! It's actually clean.

:willy_nilly:

It seems like most kids go through this phase. Both of my boys did for a year or so. I was surprised, however, that my daughter went through it too around age 10-11. She was a little younger. My boys did this around age 12.

I can't believe my boys are 14 and I still have to tell them to take showers, and wash their bodies with soap and their hair with shampoo, and to brush their teeth.

I want to figure out a way to have a recorded voice say this every time they switch on their bathroom light. I am getting tired of repeating the litany.

DD, OTOH, will take 2 showers a day if I let her.

OMGoodness! I just had an all out battle about this last night with my 12yr old.

Me- "Dude, seriously, you reek."

Son- "Wha? I showered like Thursday."

Me- "Hello. It's Sunday. It's 100 degrees outside. You are sweaty and stinky. Go shower."

Son- "Fine. Geesh."

5 minutes after shower.

Me- "Did you use soap and shampoo?"

Son- "Uh yeah. I think. Probably."

Me- "Probably NOT. Go try again. You are still gagging me."

Son- "Fine but don't complain to me when you run out of shampoo."

What? LOL :glare:

This morning he commented that his hair felt different and was laying down better. HELLOOOOOO! It's actually clean.

:willy_nilly:

LOL, this is my experience exactly with ds13. I even starting buying that combination body wash/shampoo so he doesn't have to think too much and still I have to do a sniff test. :tongue_smilie:

I want to figure out a way to have a recorded voice say this every time they switch on their bathroom light.

LOL! I've thought for years that we could market a product that would repeat all of the "advice" that we (well, some of us, because I'm SURE there are those here who have NEVER had to say anything to their darlings!) need to give:

"Please sit down."

"Please chew with your mouth closed."

"Please don't do that with your fork."

"Pick up your clothes."

"Pick up all your clothes."

"Put your clothes in the hamper."

"Your clothes are clean. Please put them away."

"'Away' does not mean on the floor."

"Please take a shower."

"Please use soap."

"Please tell me that fascinating story AFTER you've swallowed."

"Please use shampoo."

"Yes, you need to wash everything."

"Yes, even there."

"No, you can't wear your sweaty baseball clothes to bed." (and why on earth would you want to???)

If I had a tape, I'd probably sound SO much more polite! :)

I am sitting here in tears because I am laughing so hard. My ds 10 is exactly like this!!!! I love the conversations we have with our children.

We have to remind ds to take a bath and brush his teeth. Usual response, "Aw, c'mon. Do I really have to right now?!" Playing with his light saber with the boy down the street is really so much more important.

And yes, I always tell him, "Scrub, with soap please, behind your ears, scrub your neck, between your toes and your cute little behind, crack included. Oh yeah, and brush your teeth." I usually get eye rolls for this. :tongue_smilie:

I have also bought him the "manly" body wash so he won't have to smell fruitly like his sister, whom usually takes a shower every day. I am glad to know that I"m not the only one whose child goes through this.

LOL! I've thought for years that we could market a product that would repeat all of the "advice" that we (well, some of us, because I'm SURE there are those here who have NEVER had to say anything to their darlings!) need to give:

"Please sit down."

"Please don't do that with your fork."

"Pick up your clothes."

"Pick up all your clothes."

"Put your clothes in the hamper."

"Your clothes are clean. Please put them away."

"'Away' does not mean on the floor."

"Please take a shower."

"Please use soap."

"Please tell me that fascinating story AFTER you've swallowed."

"Please use shampoo."

"Yes, you need to wash everything."

"Yes, even there."

"No, you can't wear your sweaty baseball clothes to bed." (and why on earth would you want to???)

If I had a tape, I'd probably sound SO much more polite! :)

LOL - isn't this the truth! There are so many things, too, that I never thought I would be saying to another human. I don't even notice anymore...my friends point it out when I am on the phone. The other day I told my youngest ds,

"No, do not stick your finger in the dog's bottom and sniff it." "Yes, it smells bad - just like yours. No, you can't stick your finger in your bottom either." "BECAUSE I SAID SO!" My best friend was dying laughing on the other end. :001_huh:

I had to laugh at not having your son smell fruitly like his sister. At first, I read it to say "fruity" and we don't want that either. lol Kids are SO funny!

The long list of things we say to our children reminds me of the "Mom Song" by the lady stand up comedian. Have you all seen it already? It was going around on the internet a while back and is on Youtube. She says she thought of everything she says to her children in a 24 hour period and condensed it down to 2 minutes. It is really funny. We don't do text messaging and definitely not at the dinner table, but the rest is hilarious. ;)

Eva