Menu

Big Picture of Beast Academy Publishing Schedule?

mom2bee

I'm just curious, what is the publishing plan for Beast Academy?

I know that they published 3rd grade first, but their website says the program is grade 2-5, so I take it there are no plans to publish a first grade curriculum, right? Will they do 4th grade next or 2nd grade?

You can always use a lower level for an older non mathy kid. That is what we are doing and boy these girls are suddenly becoming more mathy since.

We are using Level 3 for 5th graders. They learned a lot and really made them persevere on problems--what they want for Common Core by the way...

• Like 1

We are using Level 3 for 5th graders. They learned a lot and really made them persevere on problems--what they want for Common Core by the way...

That is good to know. I was thinking of using as good review for next year with my 5th Grader, since it's supposed to be so indepth. Maybe I can get it in for the last month of 4th grade this year for BA 3C.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old, but as I eye my 1yo, I wonder if he'll take to mathematics the way I hope and I am kind of curious about BA...

Using the 5 mo/book schedule ... 4A should be out in July 2013; 4B in Dec. 2013; 4D in May 2014; and 4D in Oct 2014.

So, 4D is out Nov 2014--not too bad.

Assuming that they are doing Grade 5 next, then Grade 2, the approximate release months for the rest of the series should be...
5A -- Apr. 2015
5B -- Sept. 2015
5C -- Feb. 2016

5D -- July 2016

2A -- Dec 2017

2B -- May 2017

2C -- Oct. 2017

2D -- Mar 2018

My son will be 4 and half when its all published. :D. If he's so inclined, we can use the whole elementary program.

• Like 1

I know this is old, but as I eye my 1yo, I wonder if he'll take to mathematics the way I hope and I am kind of curious about BA...

Assuming that they are doing Grade 5 next, then Grade 2, the approximate release months for the rest of the series should be...

5A -- Apr. 2015

5B -- Sept. 2015

5C -- Feb. 2016

5D -- July 2016

2A -- Dec 2017

2B -- May 2017

2C -- Oct. 2017

2D -- Mar 2018

My son will be 4 and half when its all published. :D. If he's so inclined, we can use the whole elementary program.

This thread is old. I believe 3D slowed them down a bit, the printer had a hangup with 4A, and then the logic section in 4B proved extra difficult as well. From 4B to 4C took just under 7 months, but they have actually hired the staff they've been banking on all this time, and they truly expect the next few installments to come more quickly. I think one of the authors has a toddler daughter and hopes that level 2 will be ready when she is. ;)

If you're really interested, you can keep up to date by following https://www.facebook.com/beastacademymath.

4C is out in Nov. 2014. 4D won't be out for another six months.

Their latest information says that they are expecting early spring for 4D as they say they've added more people to their staff and production should be increasing. Level 5 is tenatively supposed to be finished by summer 2016.

5A -- Apr. 2015

5B -- Sept. 2015

5C -- Feb. 2016

5D -- July 2016

2A -- Dec 2017

2B -- May 2017

2C -- Oct. 2017

2D -- Mar 2018

I'm thinking my dd2 will be using BA, she will be right at the 2nd grade level whenever they start releasing that level. I think we'll be doing living math until then. I think it will suite her, judging by her personality so far, we'll see. I'll already have the upper levels as I'm using it for ds, might as well by the younger ones as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking my dd2 will be using BA, she will be right at the 2nd grade level whenever they start releasing that level. I think we'll be doing living math until then. I think it will suite her, judging by her personality so far, we'll see. I'll already have the upper levels as I'm using it for ds, might as well by the younger ones as well.

Their Facebook page says "4D will likely be available early next spring.  (spring 2015)  Books have been released on roughly a six-months-per-level schedule, but we are cautiously optimistic that we will be able to speed production of the books for grade 5 to around 4 months per level (in which case, grade 5 will be completed in the summer of 2016)." and "Late 2016 is the optimistic projection for the first 2nd grade book... predictions that far out are very tough to make."  

Yes, I seen that and since dd2 has a late bday she won't even start 2nd until summer/fall2017 so it is looking rather optimistic that she will be able to use BA as her primary elementary math curriculum. considering the depth of BA it wouldn't bother me if she had to start it later, as it seems so far that it will suite he well.

• 3 months later...

Okay, just thinking out loud here--are the books lasting about 2-3 months each for you as you use them? Do you go at a fairly even pace, or do some units take much longer than others?

We do math around 48 weeks a year.

I plan to start 3A in Jan. 2016. So I might expect to need

3B in April 2016,

3C in July,

3D in October,

4A in January 2017,

4B in April,

4C in July,

4D in October,

5A in January 2018,

5B in April,

5C in July,

5D in October.

If they publish 4D in April 2015, at 6 months each, they'll have 5A in October 2015, 5B in April 2016, 5C in October 2016, 5D in April 2017, meaning I can buy the whole 4th- and 5th-grade packages before I need them.

Does that sound right to you?

I wouldn't even try to put a time frame on it, it seems to really vary by the book and even the chapter and if your child is on the lower or higher end of the books. We've had days were we finished 1 page and others we did 8 pages. There are about 100 pages per practice guide, so about 400 per year. I generally schedule BA by time, we get done whatever we get done. 

• Like 1

Some do take longer than others. Some are longer than others, it seems to me.

And FWIW, I know PLENTY of homeschoolers here in town who are using BA as a supplement with their middle school aged kids. Yes, they are going quickly, but it is filling holes and sparking interest.

eta: as someone who used quite a lot of MEP before BA, I see a lot of similarities in the approach. If you are running out of BA, you might want to take a look at MEP. It is NOT identical. And it looks like school math...no beasts or even colour on the pages. But I found MEP to be just as rigorous and challenging in its own way.  I think there is a lot to like with MEP. You might have to smack it around a little bit b/c it is made for a group setting, but the math is solid. Oh, and MEP is teacher intensive. I only have 2 kids and the time to work with them one on one, so MEP wasn't a problem. But BA does require a lot less of me.

• Like 2

The books and lessons do vary a lot in length, but that looks about right to me, whitehawk. My son and I do math four days a week at a leisurely pace, with lots of time for thinking and pondering the math. Since September, he's completed 3B and most of 3C, so about three months per book sounds right.

• Like 1