Menu

What are your preschool goals? For a 4 year old...

KIN

My ds will start in 1 year. We will be doing preschool this year. I'm trying to set out some goals for the year, but I thought it would be good to hear yours as well! Here are mine:

Count to 100

Write numbers to 30

Write alphabet

Know single letter phonogram sounds

Memorize nursery rhymes

Memorize address, phone number

Memorize Bible verses

Do preschool books - matching, pre-reading stuff, cutting, pasting, crafts

I do a little math with my 4yo because she begs to do work like big sister. Other than this, I plan to read her as many stories as she wants to hear.

I have a 4 yo for this year - he's doing:

reason for handwriting K book

math u see primer (I'm not sure he will finish this until he starts K, depends on how he does with it, the first half is really easy)

explode the code online (he's working in book 1 I think which is all short vowels)

for literature I'm reading him:

FIAR selection books (but we aren't "doing" FIAR, I just like their choices)

various Caldecott books

various fairy tales, nursery rhymes

aesops fables

Child's garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevensen

the science books from Sonlight PreK4/5

This sounds like a lot written out - even to me - but honestly it doesn't feel like much. When my older kids do seatwork he gets out his math and does it, when he feels like it, he does the handwriting book and colors the picture in it. He does explode the code online when I'm working with my 2nd son - he thinks it's fun and it occupies him well. The literature is not on any schedule but he loves to read to and it isn't really so much a school thing as just something we've always done.

ETA: my 4yo is the little one in my avatar with me, just thought I'd share! :)

There are so many more hands on things that a 4yo boy would enjoy then learning to write numbers and letters. At least writing with my boys is a struggle ;)

-match # to # or # to numeral- if you write down a 7 can he count out seven beans to put with it? If you put down 11 beans can he make a pile the same size?

-similar to the above but more or less- If you write down a 15 can he make a pile of beans bigger then that? How about smaller?

-estimating-Does that tree have 10's, 100's, or 1000's of leaves? How about that bush? How about that flower?

-playing rhyming games

-playing word association games (we use to have this bedtime game where I would say "You are my boy" and he would say "You are my mom", then we would go from there "You are my pillow", "You are my head", ect.)

-play the game where you start a story and he says the next part

-household and personal tasks- folding towels, putting up silverware, zipping coats

-reading lots of books!

I really think a 4yo is helped understand math much better by counting out objects then writing numerals, and will do much better reading by playing oral language games and listening to books then by writing letters.

And one big thing to memorize is parents whole names.

There are so many more hands on things that a 4yo boy would enjoy then learning to write numbers and letters. At least writing with my boys is a struggle ;)

-match # to # or # to numeral- if you write down a 7 can he count out seven beans to put with it? If you put down 11 beans can he make a pile the same size?

-similar to the above but more or less- If you write down a 15 can he make a pile of beans bigger then that? How about smaller?

-estimating-Does that tree have 10's, 100's, or 1000's of leaves? How about that bush? How about that flower?

-playing rhyming games

-playing word association games (we use to have this bedtime game where I would say "You are my boy" and he would say "You are my mom", then we would go from there "You are my pillow", "You are my head", ect.)

-play the game where you start a story and he says the next part

-household and personal tasks- folding towels, putting up silverware, zipping coats

-reading lots of books!

I really think a 4yo is helped understand math much better by counting out objects then writing numerals, and will do much better reading by playing oral language games and listening to books then by writing letters.

And one big thing to memorize is parents whole names.

:iagree:

Don't forget: playing in the mud a lot! (remember Paula's post on the old board? I have a copy if I'm allowed to post it :))

For a 4 year old, I have units on:

Unit 1: color words, sorting, matching, odd one out and go together activities

Unit 2: long/short, tall/short, heavy/light (balance scale), full/empty and opposite words

Unit 3: the Alphabet as a whole, more/less, equal/unequal sets

Unit 4: Letter of the week, number values 1-10

Unit 5: Letter of the week continued, writing 1-10, 0, even/odd, ordinal numbers

Unit 6: Letter of the week continued, shapes, patterns

Unit 7: Letter of the week continued, tally/graphing

Within these units we are also reading a varity of good children's books with selections taken from FIAR and BFIAR and the level 1 & 2 Lapbooks on HomeschoolShare.

In the past, I have just worked through the Singapore Math Earlybird math books and work on phonograms.

Other important things for them to learn:

Address

Phone Number

Full Name

Safety--fire, stranger, 911, etc.

Animal sounds

Counting

Story order

Senses

Weather

Calendar skills--day, month, year, etc.

matching

sequencing

body parts

We also do activities like:

Watercolor--single colors, mixing colors and just painting

Playdough

Water play

Sand play

Filling/dumping

Children's songs

Magnets--letters & numbers, dolls, etc.

Puppets

Blocks

Legos

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Yes, I didn't include the "fun" preschool stuff we do. :) Book reading, crafts, lots of playing, chores with me and some on his own, and on and on.

My older boys both learned to write their numbers and letters at 4 years with no problems. So, I'm planning to have my current 4yo learn as well. I've found it just makes our K year a little easier. If my current 4 year old has problems with writing I will hold off. :)

Yes, I didn't include the "fun" preschool stuff we do. :) Book reading, crafts, lots of playing, chores with me and some on his own, and on and on.
I try to keep it all fun. My oldest wanted more academic stuff at that age, so we did it -- but that was her choice, and she was the driver. I do about 10 minutes of math with my now 4yo, and nothing else formally. I think most preschool objectives can be met organically simply through everyday interaction.

Yes, I agree - most perschool objectives can be met through everyday interaction. I have a harder time doing that then it would seem, maybe it's the 4 kids? My boys have all really enjoyed our preschool workbooks - cutting, pasting, drawing numbers, coloring.

They have each asked (well, not my oldest) to do "school" b/c we're doing it with the older one/ones. We do a lot of just fun interacting, for sure. In my homeschool, I also see the benefit to some sit down time with mom and do a preschool page or two. That is the great part of homeschooling - we can each do what we see as the best option for our family.

My ds turns 4 this week! It is amazing how much he already knows just through play and reading. I don't have too many goals for this year. For me, its one more free year until I really think about planning. lol

My plan it to work on recognizing numbers 1-10 and counting out objects of at least 10.

Learn the alphabet SWR style! By that I mean learning all the sounds of the alphabet a-A-ah etc, and learning to write letters in sand or even pudding.:001_smile: Taking this real slow so no sweat if it takes us more than this year to get through. I think I'll do 1 letter a week or something like that.

We'll also be doing SL core B. Not sure what it's called now but we have gone through A two times now so time to move on. :D

Sandy

My goals are almost identical to yours, Kathy! She will also participate in a multi-age science-oriented co-op, and she will be invited to join her brother in as many other learning activities in which she is interested and has the energy to attend, i.e. Latin and Greek, and all the RA's.

I just bought her a few R&S preschool workbooks so she has some special things for herself, and I will spend 30 min with her each school day to work on her RRR skills. I'm not sure how she will progress with hw; she is not able to trace arcs and lines very well yet.

Something we are looking forward to is 3:00 tea time during which we will do some RA and practice our memory verses/poems. Each child will help me prepare something in the kitchen once a week prior to tea time, i.e. cookies, tea sandwiches, etc.

I went to a big hs conference this wekend, and I am so jazzed to start school!

Our preschool goals for this year:

Math: Count to 100 by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s; Identify shapes

Writing: Write numbers 1-10 and full name

Phonics: No set goal; however far he can comfortably get in PP

We'll also continue to work on cutting, tracing/mazes, coloring, crafts, and lots of outside play and exercise. Lots of reading: history with sisters, stories from around the world with Mom

My pre schooler who will be four in Aug.

1. Science-play in the mud, bugs etc.
  2. Read Alouds-Journey of Imagination from WP
  3. Color a letter page a week from Itchy's Alphabet (his older brother is using this)
  4. lots of Dr. Suess
  5. Pre Math-it
  6. learn his colors & basic shapes
  7. play with cars, legos, action figures etc.

I'm thinking when he is 4.5 I'll add in pre ETC, Singapore Early Bird & maybe start The Reading Lesson.

Goals for my 4 year old:

- To obey the first time

- To be kind and polite

- To learn how to deal with his emotions

- To find that happy medium between compliancy and his desired dictatorship, lol.

Educationally:

- ABCs: Sight recognition, sound recognition possibly to know the difference between vowels and consonants if we get that far.

- Verbal skills: To be able to formulate what he wants to say easily, right now there's a lot of sputtering before he gets out what he wants to say.

- Fine motor skills: To be able trace comfortably, and build neatness with this throughout the year. To be able to cut on a line, curved line, etc. I would personally love it if he could write all his upper or lower case letters by the end of the year.

I'm going to go at his pace, the behavior stuff is much more crucial to me than the academics this year. Way more. If I cannot get his behavior under control we may be end up trying to figure out if he is just strong (and I mean STRONG) willed and stubborn or if there is something (the unspeakable) behind his behavior that needs to be addressed. I am not opposed to him going somewhere else for preschool but for now I'm keeping him home.

My preschool goals are for them to pretend to be princes or princesses in far away lands on exciting adventures, to walk ouside and go exploring to find the cricket making the sound, to realize that if they put water in a measuring cup after oil, that the oil will float on top, or whatever new discovery or adventure they dream up.

We do zero academics. Life is spent exploring and imagining and simply having unscheduled days of fun.

Kathy I am with you on this. I see much benefit in starting them at 4 (I have heard all of the arguments for the other side, to each his own). My dd has known her letter name and sounds since she was two. She is now 3, and I am forcing myself and her to wait till she is 4, but I don't think 5 will be necessary. Here are my goals for that year:

LLATL Blue- very gentle phonics with lots of fun games and picture books.

R&S 1st math- this looks like the math I see in other K programs, fun and simple

R&S K wkbks

FIAR- fun reading that connects with other subjects in a gentle way. With Bible suppliment

I have hear others like yourself that have older children and the younger wants to do what they are doing. In my case my lo is our only lo and she needs some stimulation. We do all the fun things mentioned in this thread and more, but it is not enough. My older kids had each other so they always had a play mate. My youngest has no one 'cept us adults. Expanding her mind in fun ways seems good to me till she is older and we start with the local hs support group. :001_smile: If at any point I see that she is becoming overwhelmed then I will back off. I don't plan on making her hate schooling as I am sure you don't do with your boys. When I get out books to look over I have to explaine to Hannah that they are for when she is older. She wants to do them NOW. I know her little mind is not ready for some of it though. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Forgot to say that right now we are doing About Three series, Bible stories, and lots of picture books, but I don't really consider that schooling.

At 4 yo, I like to teach them to read that year.

I also start suzuki violin at age 3. So, when they are 4 we do violin daily and reading (100 EZL and ETC) several times a week. My dc have been reading pretty well by the time they turn 5, which is nice.

If the child really wants to "do school", I add in Singapore Early Bird workbooks.

My dc learn to count and basic addition/subtraction/shapes/etc by osmosis, so I don't feel "math" is necessary.

With my Miss 4:

To learn to obey willingly

To clean up after herself

To occupy herself

To play in the sandbox and look at insects and sing songs, and act crazy, paint and be a cutie pie.

Educationally:

I have MUS Primer for if she asks for Maths, which is only occasionally, we are on to place value.

I have GDI book A and B for if she asks how to write something, which is maybe once a week.

I have SWR and Finger Phonics to learn her letters and sounds, which she does every few days.

I am planning to buy various maths manipulatives for her to play with and have a living math shelf set up in the new house.

My goals for DD5 at 4yo were similar to the originator of this thread, but we had started The Reading Lesson at 3.5 so... reading well was a reasonable goal which she accomplished. It would have been nice to have had the time to do more on handwriting, but with mama in grad school and a newborn at home it wasn't practical nor was it necessary. We should get through Handwriting w/o Tears for kindergarten in 18 weeks as I see it.

Don't shoot me, but here are my goals ;)

1. To learn how to play with educational toys while a lesson is going on

2. To sit quietly while we listen to books

3. To practice answering people when they talk to her

4. To play nicely and respond appropriately to older siblings when they plan an activity for her

Now, to be fair, I have a whole STOCK of things for her Preschool Year: alphabet books, activities in a bag, cooking snacks, etc. We'll be spending special Mommy time every day. But if I don't do those things, and DO the things I listed - it will be a good year.

I have learned the hard way that the most essential thing is to make sure they use their hands skillfully. Coloring neatly, cutting tight lines, kneading dough, hammering a nail, and stuff like that. I like to make my four-year-olds work hard, doing chores with me for a good portion of the day, and not skipping the boring or hard ones. Oh, and tons of reading, so that they get really used to books with big words and complicated sentence structure. Other than that, I'd rather leave them alone to play. It's so essential that kids construct their elaborate fantasies. It's the basis of being able to do schoolwork, so much more so than knowing one's ABCs.

Oh, and singing! Getting into a rhythm and singing along with someone, or a CD, is so helpful with math and handwriting and just brain efficiency in general later!

My son is now doing Kindergarten, but last year, my goals were for him to go as far as he could go comfortably. We played, sang, learned letters and numbers in a fun way, and I wasn't terribly concerned where he ended up when we were finished.

To my suprise and delight, he ended up reading CVC and CVCC words, obviously knowing the alphabet and sounds, lowercase and upper, writing really well with a neat penmanship, recognizing numbers to 100, counting to 100 with and without a number chart type thing in front of him. I was proud!

Have a fun preschool year!

Thanks to those of you who have listed your character training goals first - that's encouraging for me to keep those in focus. I have a 3.5yo ds who wants to "do school" like his sis, but other than Kumon books when he demands something to do at the table, I'd rather he just do Legos and play with his trains and splash in the sink.

I DO want him to learn to obey "right away, all the way, and with a happy heart" (from a great book by Ginger Plowman), to occupy himself happily, to clean up after himself, and to contribute to family chores. Good reminder to make that my focus this year. He's picking up the rest on his own just by living in this home.

**I havent read any other responses so forgive me if these are repeats

The majors for me are:

1) cut with scissors

2) recognize letters and hopefully some sounds (letter factory)

3) can hold a pencil/crayon correctly

4) dot to dots/ mazes for hand coordination (priming for writing)

5) can use computer mouse

6) can count and recognize numbers 1-10/ shapes

7) knows patterns/ rhymes/opposites

8) Can sit nicley through family read aloud

**BIGGIE: Enjoys learning with family!!!!***

My preschool goals are for them to pretend to be princes or princesses in far away lands on exciting adventures, to walk ouside and go exploring to find the cricket making the sound, to realize that if they put water in a measuring cup after oil, that the oil will float on top, or whatever new discovery or adventure they dream up.

We do zero academics. Life is spent exploring and imagining and simply having unscheduled days of fun.

My last couple of guys have enjoyed "doing school" at times alongside their big brothers, so I always have some workbooks ~ R&S, Kumon ~ on hand for those purposes. But when friends ask me what pre-school looked/looks like in our home, I encourage them not to formalize it, not to worry about academic goals for such little people.