Menu

How Things Work 1 - Coursera Course

Plum

It may just replace my Great Courses addiction since Coursera and EdX are free.

I am having trouble with the format: I am forced to take the course on schedule, it is gone when it is no longer offered, and I have to take it on the computer instead of being able to listen to CDs in the car. Won't replace my TC addiction.

But the Bloomberg course is probably a good one; I have his book.

From what I've read, (this course will be our first) the lectures are released on a certain day each week and you have a week to view them. I think it depends on the instructor how they want to release it. It does go away after the course is over, but some give you a certificate if you complete it.

I am having trouble with the format: I am forced to take the course on schedule, it is gone when it is no longer offered, and I have to take it on the computer instead of being able to listen to CDs in the car. Won't replace my TC addiction.

Well, hopefully curb. I went broke this past Christmas feeding my TC addiction. :001_rolleyes:

I hope this one is available later. I have physics with Life of Fred planned for next year, and this would fit well with it for DD and I to do together-but right now, I can't imagine adding one thing without short-circuiting (if it weren't for World Education Games practice, Athena's Academy, and Brain Pop, DD wouldn't be getting any school done at all right now. Fortunately, she's more motivated than I am so far, even if it is mostly for online stuff).

The list includes some very enticing stuff. I am just exploring it. I recognize that these have set numbers of weeks and assignments...but do they require meeting/logging in at a particular day/time during each week?

You can audit any Coursera course. So you can skip the assignments and screenside chats if you happen to be too busy when the course comes up and just read the notes and watch the videos at your own time.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to attempt to make this course a "family" activity on Sunday afternoons. Wish me luck!! DDs absolutely hate anything math or science so hoping this might actually be fun. They will watch Mythbuster for hours with their dad on Sunday afternoons so maybe we'll have some luck with this on Coursera. (I really have to sneak in the science with these two)

Regarding the age requirement for Coursera - I also read it as being "with parental consent" for the under 18 crowd. Both my 14 yo DDs have their own account. We are finishing up a Logic/Argument course this week.

Reading the forums and saw he responded to a thread asking if there will be more. This was his reply:

Yes, I'm planning on a Part 2, Part 3... whatever takes. I expect to keep going with How Things Work until I've assembled my entire UVa course as videos. It's a huge task, however, so it'll take a while.

Sweet! :hurray:

I have various lectures loaded on my iPad from iTunesU and I stream them in my car. Absolute heaven!

I agree on coursera. I am racing to finish a math class before it ends and it doesn't look like I will make it.

Also, Duke is offering a writing course.

We watched the first class week (and even took the quiz) today and love it. The professor is fun and the class is full of good information, well taught. This is one of the few classes I have bought the book for and I am glad I did. The book is well written and just as interesting as the professor. I have taken, and finished several Coursera courses and so far this is one of my favorites (if anyone was on the fence about signing up).

Some classes there is a penalty if you don't finish quizzes or assignments by the deadline, others give you the whole "semester" to get through the work. Most of them have left the class up for auditing for a month or so after it closes and then it goes away. And we take the lectures with us on the iPad or on my phone. Works fine. Love Coursera. Fortunately it is free because, like the Teaching Company, it is kinda taking over my life. Way too many interesting classes and I have no idea when they will be offered again so we just take 'em all.

Designed for non-science students. I'm thinking of signing GB up. It sounds like fun. The dates are March 4th - April 8th.

https://www.coursera.../howthingswork1

BTW I just saw the news that they added 29 more schools! It may just replace my Great Courses addiction since Coursera and EdX are free. :w00t:

Signed up. I've been tempted by this course before.

My son and I did the Computer Science 101. This could become addictive!

Anyone signed up for the Aboriginal Worldviews and Education course? The discussion forums aren't inspiring me much...

My oldest is. I'll ask him later what he thinks. Both of my older 2 like Coursera, edX and Canvas, but there have been a few duds, lol.

Georgia

We watched the first class week (and even took the quiz) today and love it. The professor is fun and the class is full of good information, well taught. This is one of the few classes I have bought the book for and I am glad I did. The book is well written and just as interesting as the professor. I have taken, and finished several Coursera courses and so far this is one of my favorites (if anyone was on the fence about signing up).

Some classes there is a penalty if you don't finish quizzes or assignments by the deadline, others give you the whole "semester" to get through the work. Most of them have left the class up for auditing for a month or so after it closes and then it goes away. And we take the lectures with us on the iPad or on my phone. Works fine. Love Coursera. Fortunately it is free because, like the Teaching Company, it is kinda taking over my life. Way too many interesting classes and I have no idea when they will be offered again so we just take 'em all.

Thanks for the review. We'll have to start watching today. If it's not excellent, we'll have to pass. We have too many Great Courses that we're watching as well!