Menu

11th grade planning

This is our third go round with 11th grade, and I am seeing a repeat of the previous years. My student is working solo except for the subjects I want to teach, meeting deadlines, etc. Also, since we have curriculum that works for us, I don't need to do a lot of curriculum research. We're set for almost every subject, and we have so much on the shelves that I won't need buy a lot.

What say the Hive? Is anyone making major changes for 11th grade or is it pretty much status quo?

Well, I'll try to get our thoughts/possibilities so far on paper. This is very much in the early planning stages. I would LOVE for ds to do AP Latin. My kids have all studied Latin formally through Florida Virtual School, but they have yet to offer AP Latin, despite years of suggesting/asking/begging. So, two hurdles here: the largest will be to make the task of AP Latin sweet enough sweet enough to ds and the second is to find an online provider that will take ds from where he is (Latin III) and prepare him well for the AP exam.

I'm also still researching AP English Lang & Comp options. Two of my dc took it through FLVS and did well on the exam. All my dc have had an IRL lit class all through high school that really lights a fire for them. And they've done R & S through book 9/10 so it's not that they need grammar. I'm looking at the AP Eng. Lang & Comp test to check a box after oldest had a really bad experience in freshman comp at the university. Not just bad, unbelievably sub-standard.

Bible & scripture memory: Preferably a Precepts study; scripture completely undecided; this is not for credit though I need to allow time in the schedule

Math: College Algebra (dual enrollment summer) and Trigonometry (dual enrollment fall)

Latin: AP Latin (this will involve a serious incentive!)

Lit: British Lit

Writing: AP English Lang & Comp (either through FLVS or on our own with a tutor to test prep)

History: American History through 1860 (dual enrollment spring)

Elective: Traditional Logic I & II

Elective: Shakespeare study and play in the spring

What say the Hive? Is anyone making major changes for 11th grade or is it pretty much status quo?

Next year is pretty much status quo, although for me it's the first time through 11th grade. I'm still wondering how we went from kindergarten to 11th grade so quickly. :confused1:

This is our first time in 11th grade, so there is no status quo here. We are going a little different. Instead of Physics, he wanted to do Forensics and save Physics for senior year. He is very interested in writing and will do another creative writing class. He did OYAN last year and unless I come up with a better idea he'll do Other Worlds next year. Here's the current plan:

Math: MUS Pre-Calculus

Science: Forensic Science (Saferstein)

History: American History Part 2: NROC w/ A Narrative History of the US1850-Present; CLEP

LA: EIL American Lit, WW 12

Creative Writing: OYAN Other Worlds

Japanese 1 & 2: Local State U

One other elective, I don't know if it will be logic or another Programming class.