JEWISH STUDIES:

Chumash

siddur

Rashi commentary

Lashon Hatorah (grammar)

Chayeinu

Yahadus

The Midrash Says

I'm still not sure would anybody like to help me come up with some ideas? He's an average reader, a horrible speller and he very decent at math. I really have no budget, but I have stuff from his older siblings.

Your post caught my eye, because this sounds like my 5th grade son. "Average reader, horrible speller." I am giving "Writing Road To Reading" a try this year for my 5th and 3rd grader. It's an inexpensive program & is really supposed to help with spelling. I have heard its difficult to start & confusing. But I just finished reading the book (borrowed from my library) & really don't understand why people think its so confusing. There is also a book to go along with it, called "Starting A Spelling Notebook" which gives day by day lesson plans, plus how to start this program with an older student.. I found WRTR & Starting Spelling Notebook here, both for $15.

This may take a little more effort than a workbook style spelling program, but my sons lack of spelling is really starting to slow him down in writing, which in turn slows him down in almost all subjects. So, I'm committed to focus on WRTR this year and make it work.

Your post caught my eye, because this sounds like my 5th grade son. "Average reader, horrible speller." I am giving "Writing Road To Reading" a try this year for my 5th and 3rd grader. It's an inexpensive program & is really supposed to help with spelling. I have heard its difficult to start & confusing. But I just finished reading the book (borrowed from my library) & really don't understand why people think its so confusing. There is also a book to go along with it, called "Starting A Spelling Notebook" which gives day by day lesson plans, plus how to start this program with an older student.. I found WRTR & Starting Spelling Notebook here, both for $15.

This may take a little more effort than a workbook style spelling program, but my sons lack of spelling is really starting to slow him down in writing, which in turn slows him down in almost all subjects. So, I'm committed to focus on WRTR this year and make it work.

Thank you, i'd been thinking of giving WRTR a try, I already own the 5th edition so, I would just need to make/get some phonogram cards. I was also thinking of using Spelling Power, since I was gifted a copy of the book.

Math: MM/LOF/CWP

Finish off Dancing Bears C if he doesn't finish this summer.

Spelling: Using the Wise Guide, but totally tweaking it. I also have a horrible speller. He was a very late reader, and is a *very* reluctant writer beyond copywork...so we are taking what I've learned from O-G, Spalding (and her spin-offs), Apples & Pears, Charlotte Mason, SWB, and using the Wise Guise as a base for spelling/dictation lessons. (Praying this works! We have evidently tried everything else. :confused1: )

Writing: Copywork, Spencerian Penmanship (His desire - go for it, ds!), Dictation will be covered in Spelling lessons, Narrations will still be mostly oral but I will require several short written narrations per week, and we'll try some assignments from Writing Adventures. I will require that he use the journals in our Science in a Nutshell kits to their fullest. He will be making a timeline/BOC. And, he has a nature journal that is completely his perogative.

Typing: ??? He is slow to get the hang of typing. (lil'sister took off with Read, Write, Type...but that is too babyish for ds10 now)

Grammar: FLL - finishing level 3, and on to level 4. I combine this with his 8yo sister.

Latin: Lively Latin (also combining)

History: SOTW 3, living books

Science: VosKamp's Geography I, Earth Science Nutshell kits, living books, nature study

Literature: Still compiling a list of books. Some he'll read during quiet time. Some I'll read aloud. We will simply narrate these.

Math: MM/LOF/CWP

Finish off Dancing Bears C if he doesn't finish this summer.

Spelling: Using the Wise Guide, but totally tweaking it. I also have a horrible speller. He was a very late reader, and is a *very* reluctant writer beyond copywork...so we are taking what I've learned from O-G, Spalding (and her spin-offs), Apples & Pears, Charlotte Mason, SWB, and using the Wise Guise as a base for spelling/dictation lessons. (Praying this works! We have evidently tried everything else. :confused1: )

Writing: Copywork, Spencerian Penmanship (His desire - go for it, ds!), Dictation will be covered in Spelling lessons, Narrations will still be mostly oral but I will require several short written narrations per week, and we'll try some assignments from Writing Adventures. I will require that he use the journals in our Science in a Nutshell kits to their fullest. He will be making a timeline/BOC. And, he has a nature journal that is completely his perogative.

Typing: ??? He is slow to get the hang of typing. (lil'sister took off with Read, Write, Type...but that is too babyish for ds10 now)

Grammar: FLL - finishing level 3, and on to level 4. I combine this with his 8yo sister.

Latin: Lively Latin (also combining)

History: SOTW 3, living books

Science: VosKamp's Geography I, Earth Science Nutshell kits, living books, nature study

Literature: Still compiling a list of books. Some he'll read during quiet time. Some I'll read aloud. We will simply narrate these.

You're not going to believe this, but a few years ago I was gifted a copy of the WISE guide, which I still have by the way. Now, you've got me thinking of what I can use with my Ds and not spend a whole lot.

MATH

Saxon 6/5

LANGUAGE SKILLS

Writing - Home2Teach, online

Literature - I teach a co-op literature class to 5-7 graders

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Grammar - Growing with Grammar

Vocabulary - Wordly Wise

SCIENCE

Co-op, Geology and Weather

Home, Apologia Anatomy

HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY

American History study using Story of US, DVDs, and other resources I'll add

Not sure what Geography program I'll use at this time

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

Spanish (continue with Rosetta Stone)

ART

Co-op Class

MUSIC

Weekly Piano lessons (once a week + a recital and a solo/ensemble)

BF Composers Study

Vocal Music Class (once a week + concerts)

PHYSICAL & FUN

Swimming

Weblo 2 Cub Scout

EXTRA

Computer Science - co-op

Keyboarding

You're not going to believe this, but a few years ago I was gifted a copy of the WISE guide, which I still have by the way. Now, you've got me thinking of what I can use with my Ds and not spend a whole lot.

Good for you! I started this ds out with SWR at 5yo...5 years later we are coming back, but with a momma who has done some serious study on reading/spelling and dyslexia. (I deserve a Master's Degree...or something...just look at the list of curricula I've mastered....it's not curric hopping. It's teacher training. :lol: )

I am still somewhat undecided for my 8yo soon to be 5th grader.

She did all abeka k-3

4th grade was BJU 5 for most subjects except science and ss which we used ACE.

This year it will be one of two things:

Math: ACE UPDATED 6th grade paces or TT pre algebra(havent decided)

English: ACE 6th or BJU 6

SS/Science: ACE 5th/6th(we really liked the paces for SS and Science last year)

Word building: ACE mid 6th/7th grade paces

Music: Violin and Piano.

Foreign Language: Hebrew

Typing: typing instructor for kids

I know alot of people dont like ACE paces but dd loves them. Plus they have updated their math and science/ss and it is actually pretty good. I have found she does better with mastery. She hates doing review as she learns really quickly. Doing abeka math became torture. lol. ACE wordbuilding was great for her spelling!

LA: narration/dictation across the curriculum

Bravewriter Partnership Writing monthly projects

and MCT - Complete Town Level

Literature: I made a list of 1 book with a guide per month. I plan on using the literature guides very lightly, mainly using some of them for just good discussion topics.

July - Magician’s Nephew - Roar Guide

August - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Roar Guide

September - The Horse and His Boy - Roar Guide

October - Prince Caspian - Roar Guide

November - Adventures of Tom Sawyer Veritas Press Guide

December - Hobbit - Veritas Press Guide

January - The Twenty-One Balloons - Veritas Press Guide

February - Alice in Wonderland - MCT Guide

March - Peter Pan - MCT Guide

April - Wind in the Willows - MCT Guide

May - use as a catch up month

Also if we finish any books in less than a month we might choose a book and lesson from the Ready Readers pdf that I purchased last year.

Once a week or maybe even once every other week use Figuratively Speaking

Our LA looks like a lot but it doesn’t really end up being too much. Ds completed the first 1/2 of Killgallon Story Grammar last year. He’ll finish this unless we need to cut something.

Latin: Lively Latin BB1 - for 4th grade he took the year to complete the first 1/2 so he will finish last 1/2 for 5th

Math: MM5

Science: Finish BFSU book 2, we are currently doing Tops science electricity over the summer and it’s been great, so we’ll add a couple more for the school year

Typing/Computer tech: Typing Instructor for kids, Scratch, Lego Mindstorms

History/Geography: SOTW 3 with maps/coloring pages/go along books from activity guide. Our library has the Drama of American History books. There are about 9 books that he’ll read that correspond with the time frame of SOTW 3. Other supplemental reading from different lists; Sonlight, Veritas Press, Truthquest, etc. We live in Texas and Texas history is towards the end of SOTW 3, so we will do a Texas study next summer.

Trail Guide to US geography

Logic: Logic Liftoff and Orbiting with Logic

Bible: Telling God’s Story

So far we have planned:

Rod & Staff for English, spelling, math, and reading.

I *think* Rod & Staff for science too. Or maybe Abeka.

Not sure about history/geography.... yeah, I'm pretty lost there.

I Can Do All Things for art (he is seriously lacking in this area, lol)

Outside music program for homeschoolers.

Lots of good literature for free reading and read-alouds.

• 3 weeks later...

LA: MCT, Reading Detective, Spelling Workout, Building Thinking Skills.

Math: TT, regular math journaling

Science: Mr Q. Life Science and some kits like blood typing.

History: SOTW CHOLL style

Latin: Lively Latin

We do some extracurricular classes in the community but she hasn't picked which ones yet. Probably lego robotics like last year and an art class. She also wants to learn coding, so I need to look at something for that. Am I missing anything? Does it look alright?

I'll try to remember everything.

Life of Fred and Khan Academy math

Imitations in Writing

Ambleside Online reading list

SOTW

FLL 4

Violin for Dummies and Alfred's Kids' Drum Course

Probably Homeschool Roller Skating for the fall

Netflix unit on Astronomy

Nature classes at the Arboretum

http://donnayoung.or...aw1-younger.htm

Jataka Tales-religion

English from the Roots Up

My rising 5th grader is my youngest! It may look as if he is advanced because he is doing things with his older sibs. However, there are some speical needs among them, as well as ELL learners, so it is probably far lower level than most high schoolers on the Boards would usually be, at least in terms of language level. However, he also is my anomaly in that he has tested gifted as well, so we sort of split the difference and are teaching more towards upper middle school. Here is what he is doing this year:

Current Events - Connect the Thoughts (Current Wars, Third World Countries), and sharing of news stories every morning

History - High School Globe Fearon American History (this is an ELL lower language, high school content text book), to late 1800's

Science - Globe Fearon Life Science (Middle School), Quality Science Labs kit for Life Science

Math - Teaching Textbooks 7 & being Teaching textbooks 8 (we school year round, he is about 40 lessons in)

Language Arts - Mosdos Press 6th grade, Probably 3-4 Progeny Press Novel Guides, Write Shop, Growing with Grammar 7, Soaring with Spelling 7

Typing

4H Curriculum for learning computer components and taking apart a computer to repair

TaeKwonDo - Working on black belt test

Shooting Club - Beginning

Team Volleyball - First Year

• 1 month later...

Would love some feedback for dd 10.  She is coming from public school, has excellent reading skills, math has suffered the last two years.  She has not had formal science instruction in two years. 

Language Arts:  ACSI Spelling, Wordly Wise, Hake's Grammar

Math:  Mammoth Math, Xtra Math

Writing:  Brave Writer Arrow, HWOT 5

History:  Switched on Schoolhouse, assorted biographies/literature, current events

Science:  Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

Bible:  Kay Arthur's Discover 4 Yourself Bible Study

Art:      Looking for suggestions

Extra Curricular: piano lessons, drama, swimming, Girl Scouts

I don't have a formal reading program but was planning on using the book suggestions from WTM. 

My 5th grader will be doing the following this upcoming year. :)

Math - Math Mammoth 5
Science - Elemental Science Chemistry
History - Finish SOTW 2 with AG and begin SOTW 3 with AG
Literature - The Black Lagoon Adventure Series
Spelling - Rod and Staff Spelling 5
Writing - WWE4
Grammar - Rod and Staff English 5 & Easy Grammar 5 (if needed)
Art - Home Art Studio
Foreign Language- Spanish (I'm putting together a program from hodge podge items I currently own) 

Geography - Geography workbook      

Penmanship - Handwriting without Tears Cursive Success  

I plan on doing school 4 days a week like we did this year. Allowing Friday's to be days for appointments, field trips, sick days, or makeup days. Friday's will be the day we set our day for Art and I will also have the kids doing xtramath.org.

DD will be doing 5th grade work, and insists on being called 5th grade. 

Math: CLE 500

English: Further Up and Further In (lit study), Apples & Pears C, Wordsmith Apprentice, Daily Grams 5

History: SOTW 2 with AG and extra literature

Science: finish WP Equine Science. Either GP Junior Science 3 or Easy Peasy Physics & Chem 2 if we finish early

Other: Classical Conversations (at home), Girl Scouts, tumbling, horseback riding, summer swim team

Up in the air, because I'm not sure how much, if any, time we'll have for them:

Art: Meet the Masters

Foreign Language: GSWL/Minimus (finish), La Clase Divertida 2

Music: Piano Adventures

Math--Horizons 5, CWP 4

Grammar--R&S English 5

Spelling--Spelling Power, R&S Spelling 5

Composition--IEW SICC-B (1/2), and WWS (1/2)

Reading--Books from VP catalog and Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence

LIterature discussion/Monthly Book Club--Teaching the Classics

Reading Comp/Test Practice--Daily Reading Comprehension (E-M), IEW Fix-It

Vocabulary--Vocabulary Workshop

Logic--Mind Benders

Memory Work--CC plus other history, civics, science, geography, Awana

Oral Language/Public Speaking--IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, Oral reports at CC

World History--First four books of "The Story of the World Series" (Synge)

American History--Makers of the Americas (Lansing and Chase), plus 20th Century unit

Science--BFSU, Zula Patrol on PBS (don't laugh--I think my kids learn more from this show than from almost anything else)

Music--Faber Piano, Classics for Kids NPR radio shows, CC

Art--Meet the Masters; 20 Art lessons: For Grades 4,5,& 6; Mark Kistler online drawing lessons

Geography--Mapping the World with Art, Discovering the World of Geography book 1 workbook

State history, civics, economics, government--Studies Weekly

Foreign Language--German (Library DVD's, lessons with grandparent who is a native speaker)

I also do lapbooks in history (3), science (2), state history (1), civics (1)

I edited my previous post. Above is my revised 5th grade plan.

I like to see what everyone else is using.

This is what my rising fifth grader will be using:

Bible - More in-depth discussions on Living Books Curriculum 1st Grade Bible (with dd6)

Spanish- Rosetta Stone and So You Really Want To Learn Spanish

Math- MM 4B and 5A

Poetry- Poetry for Young People Series: Carl Sandburg and Maya Angelou

Natural Science- BFSU2, Behold and See 5 (correlating chapters), Rivers and Oceans study, and Nature Study, field guides

English- Grammar-Land, ILL, Wordsmith Apprentice, Noah Webster's Reading Handbook (for review of Phonics and Spelling) and Natural Speller, Vocabulary Cartoons

History- SOTW 4 with AG, Usborne Encyclopedia, Children's Encyclopedia of American History, supplemental readings from Complete Book of US History, Our Island Story, lots of biographies, other nonfiction and historical fiction, a few Graphic History Library for fun, America: The Story of US DVD

Penmanship- GDI Book D, Character Italic Beginning Cursive

Literature- Read-Alouds- 7 good books (plus 2 nonfiction read-alouds), Shakespeare's Greatest Hits (audio) by Bruce Coville

Geography- Evan-Moor 7 Continents: Asia, Usborne Peoples of the World, Kingfisher Children's Atlas, 100 Best Children's Stories from China

Music- The Story of the Orchestra, Piano

Art- Whatever dh cooks up, but the artists are Monet, Van Gogh, and Picasso and art appreciation through living books

Critical Thinking- Critical Thinking Press Social Studies

Lots of living books for reading practice and enjoyment - he's a very good reader.

I also posted in a similar thread on Logic but we are doing

LA - R&S spelling 6, hake grammar 6 over the next 2 years, WWE, then WWS second semester. Several VP lit guides and Caesars English

Science BJU science5 without DVDs

Math mammoth 5 and hopefully well into 6 plus LOF Fridays

Moh2 with HITW passport to Middle Ages, and some TWTM history writing. Several lit suggestions from TWTM

Lively Latin BB1

Mind benders and logic liftoff

Home art studio and harmony art hopefully

Weekly PE

My 5th grader will be on the young side, but is advanced in some areas, so we're mixing up levels a bit.

Math: McDougal Littell Middle School Course 1

Language Arts: MCT Town Level minus literature + Essentials in Writing Level 5 (if Paragraph Town proves to be a little much for him--or me!)

History: Sonlight Core 7 with older sister - either the whole thing to finish up world history for now, or the first 18 weeks + first five Hakim History of US book (with the second half of both next year)

Literature: We will choose some Sonlight books to evaluate Teaching the Classics style.

Science: Elemental Science Physics for the Grammar Stage (big sister will be using Hewitt's Conceptual Physics)

Art: We have Meet the Masters, a subscription to Mark Kistler, and Atelier so.... something. :-P(ETA: I just remembered he is taking art from an art teacher through our co-op. So, I guess he really WILL do art this year! lol!)

PE: Tang So Do

ETA: He also does a little light (very light) weight training with big brother. :-)

Foreign Language: He is really doing well with DuoLingo, so we'll be sticking with that for now

Latin: Lively Latin Big Book 1 (and 2 if we get time) OR Getting Started with Latin.

We also have Mind Benders and the Logic Liftoff series, and he loves those. I don't think of them as part of our school day though (because I don't have to make him do it :-/ ).

I should be about finished with our planning since we are starting on the 5th of August!  We will start extras (PE, Music, Art, Computer, etc. in September) and ease our way through the beginning of the school year. My goal with dd is to build independence, following through, & helping her become more confident in reading/writing!  Here it goes!

Math:    TT 6, Daily Math Facts Drill w/Saxon or XtraMath, M-Th.   Life of Fred & Math Mammoth 4&5 & Right Start Math Games on Fridays.

LA:  Jr. Analytical Grammar & Mechanics, IEW B, Logic of English Advanced Spelling List,  Figuratively Speaking (for literary terms) to use with her literature list(CHOLL & Classics),  WW5

History:  SOTW 1 Ancients with Human Odyssey Vol.1 (outside reading & outlining), mapwork, timeline, activities (SOTW AG), documentaries.   History Pockets 4-6 Ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece.   Jim Hodges Audio books (Ancients)….Literature with CHOLL guides(some) with Ancients.

Science:  Physical/Chemistry/Nature Study…..Real Science 4 Kids (middle school texts) Physics & Chemistry….Ellen McHenry Chemistry-Elements. Lots of books & Experiments....lots of science videos on the whim...

Memory Work……Living Memory

Art:  Lessons with Dad & Artists Study/Picture Study

Typing/Computer:  Critical Thinking Computer lessons….Typing Instructor

Spanish:  Rosetta Stone or Visual Link Spanish online

Music:  Learn Violin, Beethoven Who? Music Study…..Orchestra Book & Instruments.

Life Skills with Dad

PE:  Homeschool PE at the YMCA

Health:  Human Body Dectectives(listen in with big sis)…..Studies Weekly Health…..Healthy Cooking 1x Week.

Logic:  Logic Liftoff & Orbiting with Logic workbooks.

Whew!  Seems like a lot.....hoping to not have to drop most of it like last year!  We plan 2 fieldtrips a month throughout the school year with our homeschool group that helps break things up a bit.  We plan to school from August to the end of June....take July off....start back the following August.  We basically do 6-9 weeks on, 1 to 2 weeks off, and 1/2 days here & there!