Menu

Fort Morgan AL peeps and vacationers

Scarlett

We are thinking about taking the boys there this summer/fall (I prefer going in September but it will depend on if we can get dss11 out of school for a week)....what are your favorite, most trustworthy rental sites and/or actual rentals? We would love a small beach side house but are not opposed to a condo if it is on the beach. And if it was cheap enough/clean enough I would even go for walking across the road. I really love being right on the beach though.

Getting excited about a real vacation ! Whoo Hoo!

Honestly, I wouldn't go to Ft. Morgan. I don't find the beach there nearly as pretty as nearby Orange Beach. If you're looking for isolation though, it definitely has that going for it.

Interesting....It has been a few years since I was there but I much preferred Ft Morgan over Orange Beach. I thought Orange Beach was crowded and over developed.

Destin is awesome but also crowded and more expensive I think than Ft Morgan.

Have you looked at Dauphin Island? It is on the other side of Mobile Bay from Ft. Morgan and has a fort of its own. There are lots of rental houses and the atmosphere is more small town. There is a bird sanctuary and a marine education/museum facility.

Oooooh thank you for reminding me of that area! I had forgot about it. You can see it from the tip of Ft Morgan right?

Oooooh thank you for reminding me of that area! I had forgot about it. You can see it from the tip of Ft Morgan right?

Yes, I think so and there is also a ferry between the two areas. The ferry might be closed during the off season.

Edited to correct spelling and to add: I have never compared vacation rental prices but I am pretty sure that real estate is generally less pricey on Dauphin Island.

We stayed in the rental linked below for a week, and it was absolutely beautiful! It is directly on the ocean, and the pool was only one or two houses down. We went right in the middle of summer, and it was very quiet, peaceful and serene. It's about a 15 minute drive into Gulf Shores for shopping and dining, but I really wanted the quiet and knew Gulf Shores/Orange Beach would be packed with the college crowd. The ferry to Dauphin Island is only about a one to two-minute drive from the community, and I would definitely recommend visiting the estuarium at the sea lab there.

http://www.homeaway....-rental/p313479

We stayed in the rental linked below for a week, and it was absolutely beautiful! It is directly on the ocean, and the pool was only one or two houses down. We went right in the middle of summer, and it was very quiet, peaceful and serene. It's about a 15 minute drive into Gulf Shores for shopping and dining, but I really wanted the quiet and knew Gulf Shores/Orange Beach would be packed with the college crowd. The ferry to Dauphin Island is only about a one to two-minute drive from the community, and I would definitely recommend visiting the estuarium at the sea lab there.

http://www.homeaway....-rental/p313479

Oh my word, that is gorgeous! Dh and I are just taking our kids....so this house is too big and expensive for our budget...but wow, it is gorgeous.

My mom always uses FRBO.

You could always stay on Ft Morgan and ferry over to Dauphin Island and visit the Estuarium. Also both islands have historical Forts to tour.

We will definitely be making a trip to Dauphin Island whether we stay there or not.

Thanks for the link...and a boardie gave me the link to her own unit that they rent out. This is just the kind of stuff I love you guys all for.

It's definitely the spot if you want quiet. We stayed in a beach house there for a week. We just found it very isolated, and didn't think the beach was as pretty. I'll agree with you on OB being crowded (there are certainly times when it isn't), but it's just usually prettier, water clearer, etc. The farther from the bays, the prettier the water usually is (so says my husband, the diver). We usually go to Destin, although hubby will pick Navarre every now and then (gorgeous, and fairly low crowd).

At any rate, I'm sure you'll have a nice, relaxing vacation. When we went they had the areas roped off for hatching baby sea turtles - very cool!