Menu

Crumbs, I thought OM bio was going to be the answer but now...

I hear that most of the labs assigned are just paper labs. My kid won't like that he's not into crafty stuff much. He wants fun labs like ones that use real science supplies, not arts and crafts.

Now what do I use? I don't want something over the top religious that I have to tweak until it's unrecognizable because of that.

They do have hands on labs, if I recall correctly (of course I could be wrong) some of the labs are modeling, but I wouldn't consider that arts & crafts. You could still use OM, but not use their labs, and supplement with a different lab book. We're using it next year (again), but are taking a lab class at our local homeschool bookstore.

Luna,

Could you expound on that. I've heard from a few sources that they don't even use any of the microscope labs. Those are the types of things my kid would want to do.

I guess I'm being picky here. I don't want to have to use a little of this and a little of that. Especially with how much this stuff costs. I want something laid out for me that has a schedule, labs that aren't mostly arts and crafts and that is secular.

Sorry... I was trying to type a response, but school got in the way.

I was going to say that I think most of the labs are from the book, but that if you look at the lab kit available from OM it has plastic tubing, and flasks and things like that, so it can't be too bad. Do you have a microscope? We had one and we just ordered the Apologia lab kit and kind of supplemented with that.

I'd get the syllabus first and check it out before dismissing it.

Was your intent to stay with OM? For Biology, I was planning on using Science Shepherd. I don't think it's religious. They have a lab component. And just to offer a suggestion, even though it's a bit religious, DIVE cd's offer a syllabus for that book. So the text is not religious, but combined with the DIVE, it adds a little religion to it. But I'm probably going to use it so that my ds can get someone to explain it and the cd's offer solutions to all questions and labs.

Oak Meadow Biology uses the Holt Biology High School text. I bought the OM lab book and was extremely disappointed in it. Most of the labs are paper labs. OM also sells a kit (which I bought) with things used to make models of DNA (think stuff like straws). So, what we ended up doing is just the labs that are listed in the Holt Biology text. The labs are quite good and have made a very nice introduction to Biology.