Menu

SOTW Question

Absolutely. My 5 year old has been coloring SOTW pages and participating in activity projects since he was 4. Often times my older ds isn't interested in a coloring page, but they keep my two little ones occupied so we can read the text and talk about the questions and narrations. My kinder doesn't really listen to the text too much, but he has been interested in some of the other recommended books.

I would give your little one something to do while you read. The coloring pages are great for that. I imagine just sitting and listening only could make a 5 year old get a bit restless. Also I wouldn't expect him to stay and listen while you read to your older dd. If my little ones drift away to play, that's fine. They know that they need to not be disruptive until my ds is done listening/reading.

Thank you so much for the answers. I kinda dropped the question and had to run. I would absolutely give her something to do while we listen.

That makes choosing for next year simpler and more complicated at the same time. ;)

ETA:Typos.

My youngest ds turned 6 a couple of months ago and has been participating in SOTW 1 since July. I do scan through and ask him the easier discussion questions, but other than that he participates fully in map work, coloring sheets, and oral narrations. As a matter of fact, he is faster than his brother at oral narrations (Brother is a perfectionist and tries to include as many details as possible. He gets really caught up in remembering everything).

My DD4 listens to SOTW1 when I read it to DD6. We also play the CDs in the car. My kids love them and ask for them every time I turn on the car. We have other Jim Weiss CDs in there, but they always ask for history. DD4 can usually answer all of the questions from the AG. She remembers and talks about chapters from a few months ago. The narrative is fun and exciting enough to hold her attention and stick with her.