Menu

What age was your daughter when staying home alone at night?

sheryl

I would think it would be embarrassing to still need a babysitter at age 13. :leaving:

But, my sisters and I were given responsibility and left home alone at very young ages.

We have just started leaving our kids for an hour or so at a time during the day every once

in a while. We've also left my son alone in the evening for several hours by himself (he's 10).

It makes me a little nervous, but I think it's good for them. ;)

I would think it would be embarrassing to still need a babysitter at age 13. :leaving:

Yeah, I can't imagine. I would have been mortified at 13 if my parents had hired a babysitter. My oldest is only 7, but I am looking forward to 5 years from now when we can go out without having to pay a babysitter.

Well at the very least I know we have differing opinions! Rest assured when the time is right we will let our dd stay home in the evening for a short period of time - yes, date night for dh and me! But, that will not be for some time. In terms of her spending the night by herself - well beyond that! :ohmy:

I was embarrassed on behalf of a 13-year-old I used to babysit when I was 16. But she definitely needed one and was not embarrassed herself! Her siblings were 11 and 6 and she was especially rotten to the 6-year-old boy, picking at him and provoking him all the time. There was NO WAY she could be left with him, though the sweet, responsible 11-year-old was sometimes allowed to watch him! The first time I babysat the mom told me which neighbor had a spare house key in case we got locked out. I thought this was a good preventative measure--then she clarified. The 13-year-old had locked her siblings and previous babysitter out of the house for 30 minutes! The mom seemed to think this was pretty amusing, so you can guess why the 13-year-old was so obnoxious. She tried to go back into the house by herself to "use the restroom" while we were playing outside, but I made sure I followed her in just in case.

Here it is another day. I do appreciate your responses (even though some were bordering on - well, I'll let that one slide) and am re-evaluating all of this. I plan to talk with dh to find out his opinion - again. Also, I don't know if we'll change our minds, but I want to keep it open to consider, It may be we'll stay as is for a while longer until she matures a bit more in all areas or we may plan a date night during an "early" evening for a short time and close in location.