Menu

Choosing a homeschool philosophy

I've been devouring homeschool literature for a good five years now, so I've read plenty about all the major homeschool philosophies. Dh and I tend to lean classical (WTM specifically), but I'm telling you, every time I read about a different method I get confused. Something about Charlotte Mason is very magnetic for me. Unit studies seem like an awesome way to learn because everything is connected. Unschooling just seems so natural. Classical is good for us because we value fundamental knowledge and skills. I guess I see the merit in all of them and I can envision my family doing any one of them at any time. Am I the only one with an ongoing educational identity crisis? How do I choose curriculum???

(I know most homeschoolers are technically eclectic, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, I can see the value of language arts done the WTM way, the Charlotte Mason way, AND the unschooling way.)

Not at all. Well Trained Mind (Trivium Classical Education) can be as a spine for a more CM and/or unit study approach with living books, (I've done it that way for years) or it can be done in a more traditional school with grade levels, textbooks and workbooks approach. You can do it in a more Principle Approach (there's website now) classical education way, or if you really love the freedom and inspiration of unschooling, try it in A Thomas Jefferson Education (see their book,companion book and website) Statesman/Mentor Model approach to classical education.

But what I mean is, if I go read something Charlotte Mason-y on just the right day, I walk away thinking, "Gosh, that really speaks to me. I love CM. Maybe I want to do it her way." And then a few weeks later, I might read something unschooly and think, "You know, I can see how this could make for an incredible education. Should I do it like that?" Obviously those two approaches are wildly different, so it seems to be that my educational philosophy changes with the weather or something.

It didn't used to be this way. When I first started researching homeschool and the various approaches, it was very clear to me which way I leaned. But the more I read, the more I think about it, the more I'm exposed to different homeschoolers and their ideas, the MORE confused I get.

I think a lot of us have this "problem", but I only think it is a problem if you frame it as such. I sometimes describe us as Neo-Classical Charlotte Mason Unschooly Homeschoolers. By appropriating these labels this way I am sure I am making many hard-liners cringe, but oh well, it works for me, and by this I mean that I respect the ideals of the trivium and have many of the goals of classical education, but I use many methods more typical of CM to try to meet my children's needs and individuality as espoused by John Holt. Confusing at first maybe, but I find that when I can define what it is I like about each of the different philosophies, it becomes easier for me to pick curriculums that more closely match what we need.

Reading about homeschooling philosophies can be confusing. I've found the best thing is to also work on educationg yourself. Find the highschool level of what you're dreaming of, pick some material and start reading and working. It will save you time when your kids are in the thick of schooling, and you don't have as much time.

I was originally drawn to classical education, and it will always be my first love. It is the way I was educated and has served me well in life. My youngest is currently enjoying a season of Waldorf because it is what is right for her. My oldest graduated long ago with an eclectic mix of CM and classical although his love of languages made his education very different. My middle is currently a poster-child for a neo-classical education, but she is also currently at a classical school instead of at home.

While you're looking at philosophies - don't miss LCC (Latin Centered). It is a different view of classical education.

Reading about homeschooling philosophies can be confusing. I've found the best thing is to also work on educationg yourself. Find the highschool level of what you're dreaming of, pick some material and start reading and working. It will save you time when your kids are in the thick of schooling, and you don't have as much time.

I was originally drawn to classical education, and it will always be my first love. It is the way I was educated and has served me well in life. My youngest is currently enjoying a season of Waldorf because it is what is right for her. My oldest graduated long ago with an eclectic mix of CM and classical although his love of languages made his education very different. My middle is currently a poster-child for a neo-classical education, but she is also currently at a classical school instead of at home.

While you're looking at philosophies - don't miss LCC (Latin Centered). It is a different view of classical education.

Agree with the bolded. LCC was the first philosophy that resonated with me. It made our 5th and 6th grade years flow very well.

As ds has gotten older, it's created a new philosophy - more child-centered in a way, but that just sounds like I'm creating a brat. I call it adapted classical because I'm trying to embrace the LCC approach of multum non multa and integrating subjects to create a cohesive plan. It looks good on paper, mostly. Ds has a lot of say in what subjects we do, I get the say on how we approach them. I wouldn't choose an approach not fitting for ds, so is looks child-centered.

We are doing different subjects than I had originally planned because he's bent a certain direction. The whole is reflection of him. If you read the planning threads on the high school board, you'll see the diversity of subjects being studied. I know some of these women used one approach in elementary and middle school, but now the student is directing the subjects taken.

I wish I had found the LCC philosophy earlier, I would have stuck with that in elementary.

I've read different philosophies, but I knew some wouldn't work because of my son's individual needs. I do see a few ladies on here teaching their children the way *I* would have loved to learn, but I'm not the student.

I do think it's important to educate/re-educated yourself with or ahead of your children. I am seeing the dividends from starting self-education a few years ago. I've been out of school a long time, I needed the refresher and it makes it easier to teach, even if you consider yourself only a facilitator of a subject.

Reading The Knowledge Deficit helped me most in deciding educational philosophy and in how to choose curricula. The reason this helped me more than any other resource was because I agree with Hirsch's goals and because of the data and research HIrsch includes. I am a person who analyzes almost everything according to data and research rather than feelings. I trust studies more than I trust my feelings.

Hirsch's primary goal is to help students become well educated. My primary goal in homeschooling is also to help my children become well educated. I attempt to do the things that Hirsch writes about in his book so that I can hopefully achieve my desired goals. Classical methods seem to be most consistent with Hirsch's core knowledge ideas, particularly concerning memory work and exposure to excellent literature. I also employ some traditional methods (mainly regarding writing).

Other people may have different goals. If a person's primary goal is to make school fun and stress-free, unschooling may be the best fit. I don't agree with that goal, and I also don't agree with unschooling.

So a lot of it depends on your primary goals for homeschooling. Decide on your goals, and then the philosophy, method, and curriculum choices will become clearer.

You see merit in all philosophies because there is merit in all philosophies. Furthermore, it is entirely possible to be attracted to a philosophy that will never actually work for you. In my opinion, it will serve you best to consider what you are like now, what feels natural to you, and areas in which you already excel. It is less useful to dream about that which looks good on paper but is not a match for your personality and capability. Pro/con lists are helpful. For every philosophy, you can make a sort of yes/no list to purposefully pick and choose components which will make up your personal teaching style and homeschool philosophy.

I became truly happy as a homeschooler only when I rejected the need to pick a philosophy. I simply teach in a way that resonates with me and works for my kids. Yes, I use a little of this and a little of that, but I wouldn't call it eclectic so much as thoughtfully interwoven. ;) The beauty of this is that if I need to shift, to adjust a little, I no longer have a full-on crisis of confidence. :tongue_smilie: Now, the opposite is true; I can be unshaken and confident in adjusting because my homeschool philosophy is based on meeting my own family's needs, which will naturally grow and change.

Maybe this isn't popular, but I think that any of these different methods can succeed or fail, and a lot of that depends on the individual children being taught (or untaught...) , and the strengths and needs of the students should help to determine which philosophy to use.

It helps to know why YOU are choosing to homeschool your kids. It doesn't matter so much how other people think you should do it, but why you think you should do it.

For example, I am not interested in unit studies because it is content based (or what I have seen of it is). I am less worried about content than I am about a method of learning. If I personally get too focused on content I know that I will become obsessed that I will miss something. I could never, ever do lapbooks because I find them fussy and crafty. Those things are not my strengths, and I think you should play to your strengths. We aren't unschoolers around here. My kids are friends with many unschoolers (some radical) and they find the whole thing incompatible with their temperament.

So, determine your personal reasons for homeschooling, come up with your own philosophy or mission statement or business plan or whatever you want to call it. Then look at what your strengths are as well as that of your kids (that will change over time) and pick something that matches up with what you like.

You don't mold yourself or your kids to the philosophy. That is banging a square peg in a round hole. So, yes, you might find a book that seems intriguing or interesting. It has value. BUT you look at yourself and how and why you have embarked on this grand experiment, and decide if it helps you meet your goals. If you don't have some vision, something you are moving towards, you and your poor kids will be forever lurching from one new method or guru or curriculum to the next for no good reason.

Do you sometimes recalibrate? Change goals? Change your mind? Yes, of course you do. But do so deliberately and for a reason. Do it because you have change a goal or something else is now important, or you can see that a particular method isn't working with your kid. Don't do it because you are bored, or because you are convinced that this is the new right way that will fix all difficulties. And if you have confidence in what you are doing, then your head won't be turned so easily. You can also find a lot of value in what others are doing even though it might not work for your and your family. I find those who are the most negative about other methods are often quite insecure in themselves. You can also take little bits of other methods and incorporate them in just the right space in your life without feeling like you have to abandon ship.

The one thing that has helped me the most in choosing philosophies or curricula is understanding the difference between skills and content. Education is basically made up of these two things. Skills are usually boiled down to the 3R's, but could also include memory work, speaking, foreign language, creating artwork, playing an instrument, or performing science labs. Content is basically information; science, history, Bible, art or music appreciation would fit in this category.

Certain approaches work particularly well with skills, and others with content. Skills are the grunt work of education. There is no other way to learn them except through practice. Classical, traditional, and Charlotte Mason styles lend themselves well to these subjects. Unschooling may not work as well for skills, unless your student is unusually motivated. Unit studies do not shine as well here either.

With content subjects you have more approaches that work well. If you want to try unschooling or something more laid back, these subjects are a great place to do that.

Also different philosophies will work better with certain ages. Waldorf and Montessori for instance work well with young students. I used CM for several years, but found as we got to the middle grades that it wasn't as good a fit. Many hs'ers move to Classical or traditional methods in high school.

And this is why so many of us go by the term "eclectic." :)

It's okay to try different things, especially while your students are young. Sometimes you just don't know what will work for you until you give it a go. Ideally, both Mom and student should thrive with your approach. If it can't be both, then it needs to be Mom. :)

I've struggled with this whole issue too, and at times I've felt like I was going crazy trying to sort it all out. I experimented with the various philosophies over the years, and with a lot of trial and error I found a way to combine some of the various philosophies in a way that works for us. Generally I've stuck to a classical model based on the "developmental ages" of my children and used that as my overarching framework. Just understanding the grammar, logic and rhetoric stages has been incredibly helpful for me. Not only does it help me understand my children, but it also helps me choose age appropriate curriculum. It also helped me understand what was really important for my children to focus on and where to put our time. Knowing this has helped me naturally develop the following pattern. I teach the fundamental skill subjects in a classical way (math, grammar, spelling, etc.) I teach the content subjects in a Charlotte Mason-ish way (history, literature, science, Bible) In other areas I take an unschooling approach and provided my children with tools to investigate and learn on their own, in their own way, on their own time (arts & crafts, computer skills, special projects or interest driven studies). I've found that using this combination works really well for us.

I also found that it's important for me not to "marry" one philosophy, and try to do everything exactly the way the philiosphy dictates. I found that this just isn't realistic for us. Some subjects just naturally lend themselves better to a classical style, or Charlotte Mason style, or to an unschooling style. I also find that it is important to stay somewhat flexible. Each of my children have different learning styles, and over the years they have had various weaknesses that needed special attention. So, each year when I plan my curriculum, I look at where my child is at developmentally, where their strengths and weaknesses are, and what style of curriculum would suit their needs at that time. The age of your children is something to consider as well. When my children were really little I tried unit studies, and what was nice about that was that we could all work together, but now that my kids are older they need to work individually, so unit studies aren't our best option anymore. I'm also finding that as they are getting older their preferences are changing. While my son used to like studying science in a Charlotte Mason way, he now thrives on textbooks and online classes. Applying a homeschool philosphy has turned out to be an organic process for me.

So, although it can lead to confusion, having knowledge of all these philosophies really is a great thing! What helped me was that I treated this knowledge as a tool to make me a better teacher and to help me run my homeschool according to my children's needs. At times it was tough not to let a certain philosophy "run" my homeschool, (especially if I re-read a particular book), but if I took a deep breath, stepped away from it for awhile, and looked at what my children (and I) really needed, I was able to take control and not get overwhelmed. I hope this helps :)

But what I mean is, if I go read something Charlotte Mason-y on just the right day, I walk away thinking, "Gosh, that really speaks to me. I love CM. Maybe I want to do it her way." And then a few weeks later, I might read something unschooly and think, "You know, I can see how this could make for an incredible education. Should I do it like that?" Obviously those two approaches are wildly different, so it seems to be that my educational philosophy changes with the weather or something.

It didn't used to be this way. When I first started researching homeschool and the various approaches, it was very clear to me which way I leaned. But the more I read, the more I think about it, the more I'm exposed to different homeschoolers and their ideas, the MORE confused I get.

Not every minute of your day has to be done the same way. You can make time in your studies for unschooling and you can make some of it a unit study with Living Books like CM recommended. You can do some in the field nature studies in a strictly CM way, or you can do them in a more unschooly way. Classical education is a broad spectrum of approaches with some similarities and some differences. Very few homeschoolers I've met in my 13 years of homeschooling in one of the largest homeschooling communities in the US are rigidly one thing. Most are hybrids between 1-3 different approaches. It's not all or nothing.

When mine (17,15 and 7) were very young we were more unschooly and CM. As they got older we were much more TWTM and CM in unit study form.

If you're talking about interest driven unschooling as opposed to parent directed, no textbook or artificial learning unschooling, you can follow your child's interests by allowing them to read living books on the subject of their choice. You could build a unit study with living books on whatever interests them.

You could move chronologically through history the way most trivium classical education model recommend, but you could allow the child to choose things that interest him/her related to each era and region of history while reading aloud a great book from the Western Canon that is in some way connected to their studies. People mix and match all the time.

If you really like interest driven studies and the great classics or living books I highly recommend at least reading A Thomas Jefferson Education and the companion book. It's where classical education and unschooling meet.

Thanks, ladies. Your insight is, as always, very helpful.

When I think about my own personality, I have to admit that I'm a very structured person. The classical model appeals to me for all the obvious reasons. I wonder if some of the more unschooly things are appealing because there is that small part of me that craves the easy going kind of life. But ultimately, I know I would be a neurotic mess if that were my primary approach (dh would flip, too, so that matters quite a bit).

I think one way for me to resolve my inner philosophy conflict is to do the skills stuff in a classical way (that honestly has never been a question because strong basic skills are extremely important to us), content subjects in a classical/CM kind of way, and perhaps incorporate some project-based learning. I've been reading Project-Based Homeschooling, by Lori Pickert. I think that's the current book that's throwing me off. But like she says, it can be incorporated into any style of schooling. I like that it encourages self-directed learning, individual responsibility for learning, and freedom to study whatever a child is interested in--all the same things that appeal to me about unschooling--but I can still make sure we're hitting everything I think is important in skills and content.

Not every minute of your day has to be done the same way. You can make time in your studies for unschooling and you can make some of it a unit study with Living Books like CM recommended. You can do some in the field nature studies in a strictly CM way, or you can do them in a more unschooly way. Classical education is a broad spectrum of approaches with some similarities and some differences. Very few homeschoolers I've met in my 13 years of homeschooling in one of the largest homeschooling communities in the US are rigidly one thing. Most are hybrids between 1-3 different approaches. It's not all or nothing.

When mine (17,15 and 7) were very young we were more unschooly and CM. As they got older we were much more TWTM and CM in unit study form.

If you're talking about interest driven unschooling as opposed to parent directed, no textbook or artificial learning unschooling, you can follow your child's interests by allowing them to read living books on the subject of their choice. You could build a unit study with living books on whatever interests them.

You could move chronologically through history the way most trivium classical education model recommend, but you could allow the child to choose things that interest him/her related to each era and region of history while reading aloud a great book from the Western Canon that is in some way connected to their studies. People mix and match all the time.

If you really like interest driven studies and the great classics or living books I highly recommend at least reading A Thomas Jefferson Education and the companion book. It's where classical education and unschooling meet.

I actually have read A Thomas Jefferson Education, and I don't think it's for me. :(

I actually have read A Thomas Jefferson Education, and I don't think it's for me. :(

OK. Some people trying to merge the two find it helpful but as you know, it's not for everyone. The companion book is the nuts and bolts guide about letting kids study things of their own interest for quite a while and then inspiring them to learn from the greats, then finding internships in things they're passionate about.

I'm sure you'll find your groove once you're in full swing and you get to know your children as students (I see they're still very young.) Since you have so much background knowledge, you'll have a good idea of what to try next or how to teak things a bit to make them work better for you and your kids. It's like you have a big bag of tricks in your head ready to pull them out as needed.

A lot of homeschoolers don't do their homework for various reasons and when they hit a wall they don't have much in the way of ideas for trying something else and they're more stressed out scrambling to find out what their options are. You're very well prepared.

Someone around here coined the term "Tidal Schooling." They hit the bookwork hard at certain times of year and unschool during others, or something along those lines. You'll probably find yourself falling into or being drawn to some kind of pattern too. Our year falls along a seasonal pattern. Naturally we do more work when it is not to hot to work :p

No, I definitely have this problem. I started out doing TWTM with only a few tweaks, then I dropped spelling, dropped narration, dropped coloring pages, dropped math for a month and about to drop it entirely, dropping grammar. Basically all I'm keeping is copywork and phonics and game-based math. I'm also now questioning if interest-led content wouldn't be better. I guess it just depends on where you want to end up (NOT where you think you should end up). We don't have a curriculum, really. We can't afford one. So I have some spines, a phonics book, writing paper, and a library card. It's just, how much to demand, on whose terms, and in what order that I'm having trouble with! I'm in the middle of a few days where I'm trying to toss out every idea I think I'm supposed to follow and envision what our days would look like if there were no worries, no preconceptions, no ideologies. I haven't gotten very far, except that when my kids willingly help with chores and clear their places without being asked, yet whine over school, there's something wrong. I'm not sure what that is yet, though.

Thanks, ladies. Your insight is, as always, very helpful.

When I think about my own personality, I have to admit that I'm a very structured person. The classical model appeals to me for all the obvious reasons. I wonder if some of the more unschooly things are appealing because there is that small part of me that craves the easy going kind of life. But ultimately, I know I would be a neurotic mess if that were my primary approach (dh would flip, too, so that matters quite a bit).

I think one way for me to resolve my inner philosophy conflict is to do the skills stuff in a classical way (that honestly has never been a question because strong basic skills are extremely important to us), content subjects in a classical/CM kind of way, and perhaps incorporate some project-based learning. I've been reading Project-Based Homeschooling, by Lori Pickert. I think that's the current book that's throwing me off. But like she says, it can be incorporated into any style of schooling. I like that it encourages self-directed learning, individual responsibility for learning, and freedom to study whatever a child is interested in--all the same things that appeal to me about unschooling--but I can still make sure we're hitting everything I think is important in skills and content.

You sound just like me a few years ago. I will tell you my Big Epiphany. If you crave structure, go with it. Do not resist it. It is the structure that provides the scaffolding for easy-going days, for forays into topics of special interest. Also, you can have a structured school day (which does not have to equal regimented or inflexible) and a project-based life. It can be hard to imagine this when your kids are very young and you find yourself the leader of all learning by default. But as they get older, they get more independent. Before you know it, they have projects of their own. You just need to keep them in supplies and stand back! You know what project-based learning used to be called in the olden days? Hobbies! :D

I agree with the pp that your daily stucture (or rhythm) is everything! My kids need the structure, I've found. Otherwise it's chaos and fighting, etc. But, with a daily routine, the house stays relatively tidy, lessons and projects get done, my need for downtime is observed, and things run smoothly, whether we are using a Waldorf program, CM, or project-based (we've done all three).

Maybe this isn't popular, but I think that any of these different methods can succeed or fail, and a lot of that depends on the individual children being taught (or untaught...) , and the strengths and needs of the students should help to determine which philosophy to use.

It's a popular opinion with me - because I've lived it, lol. I was drawn to classical because *I* would have loved it as a child. It was an epic fail for my dyslexic, math and science gal.

I find different philosophies appeal to me for different stages of a child's education. Right now, in PreK, we're doing a mainly Montessori model, with a Waldorf-y/CM Nature Study spin. We also read a lot of books and classic children's literature, which I guess would be CM/WTM.

CM appeals greatly to me for the elementary/grammar stage years, and a more classical/WTM approach appeals for middle and high school.

One mother I met at a homeschool event took what I thought was a pretty interesting approach. She schooled year round, and since most curricula go 32-36 weeks, she would schedule two-week blocks of unit studies twice each year to fill four of the weeks she didn't have a curriculum for. That way, her kids could choose a topic - any topic - that appealed to them and twice a year go as in depth as they wanted. When I spoke with her, they were studying the Himalayas. Very cool :)

I find different philosophies appeal to me for different stages of a child's education. Right now, in PreK, we're doing a mainly Montessori model, with a Waldorf-y/CM Nature Study spin. We also read a lot of books and classic children's literature, which I guess would be CM/WTM.

CM appeals greatly to me for the elementary/grammar stage years, and a more classical/WTM approach appeals for middle and high school.

One mother I met at a homeschool event took what I thought was a pretty interesting approach. She schooled year round, and since most curricula go 32-36 weeks, she would schedule two-week blocks of unit studies twice each year to fill four of the weeks she didn't have a curriculum for. That way, her kids could choose a topic - any topic - that appealed to them and twice a year go as in depth as they wanted. When I spoke with her, they were studying the Himalayas. Very cool :)

I've allowed my kids to choose a topic between Thanksgiving and Christmas a couple of times when we were schooling year round. Some kids can't handle that little structure. Others do just fine.

I found my kids did best when I followed their lead. One child enjoys structure, productive units, and peers, so she's in the local charter school. Two children enjoy learning organically, bouncing off knowledge from anyone and everyone they can. They're unschooled. It's fascinating for me to see how my kids responded to the various things I'd tried (literature based, Sonlight, classical, CM, unit studies). They found the things that gave them the most access to learning, problem solving, and creativity. I would watch your kids carefully and see what works best for them, then offer it to the best of your ability.

My professional training and experience is as a psychotherapist, so the idea of being eclectic in practice is one which is very familiar to me. I employ the same philosophy with homeschooling, and so far, so good. I enjoy picking and choosing the best of the philosophies (for my kids/family) and implementing them, ever changing as they grow and change.

I have the kijipt family philosophy. Where it aligns with one or more specific schools of thought changes depending on the needs of my son at the time. I don't apply a philosophy as an external set of rules. I just glean wisdom where ever and whenever I can, fitting each bit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I reckon most people do about the same for themselves. I think there is a time and a place for a little or a lot of many philosophies in the average homeschooling family.

I used to have this problem. When we first started homeschooling, I was initially attracted to classical but I kept reading about other philosophies and I had burning desire to try them all. So I did. We tried CM, Waldorf, Montessori, unschooling, unit studies and TJE. By the time my oldest by the time my oldest was 9, we had tried all of these philosophies but I noticed that in between them all, we always returned to classical. It seemed that my heart was still with classical so we went back to that for good. It was as if I had to get it all out of my system. Once I grew up, I knew what we were meant to do and we have stuck with it ever since.

I considered us "eclectic" for years. I was able to pick and choose from several different philosophies as I saw fit. Over the years, I've tweaked what works for us. We are pretty much CM at the moment...it seems to be a good fit. After beginning to read Charlotte Mason's books (not interpretations of them), I'm discovering how close the two are! I think many people water her methods down so much that it is far from how she would have taught.

We used unit studies for years, and I have no regrets over it...I think it's a great way to teach young children. After my 4th was born, I was way too overwhelmed to keep teaching with unit studies, so I had to find another method. As far as unschooling, I'm sure my DC would watch TV or be on the computer 24/7. I can see it working in other houses but definitely not mine! I do give them a few options each year...especially with handicrafts or art mediums to study. I also let them pick their science program (we use Apologia, but they pick the actual book). For read alouds, I like to give them a few choices. I try to include them in the planning, but I also want to make sure they are being challenged.

You can change and switch as you go. I was relaxed in K-2nd with a mostly Charlotte Mason approach, used mostly Christian Light for several years for one kid, and now am eclectic classical for my teens. I also found out that I am not a planner, so unit studies and programs like TOG are out.

Find what works for you!

I've gone with 'eclectic' for a number of reasons. I think all homeschooling methods have merit in one way or another if done well, and I've found different ages and different subjects can all call for a different method at times.

Don't feel you have to commit to one and never change. What works for you in K-3rd may stop working in 4th, or may never work for your youngest, etc.

You seem unsettled by the pendulum swing -- this way, that way. I would encourage you to not allow the apparent "swing" to unsettle you, but to create in you a wideness of thought and spirit.

Personally, I have come to appreciate the expanding views afforded by reading from various approaches. CM is attractive, unschooling has appeal, classical draws you in. What this means, I think, is that you are excited about learning and teaching! :) As you read and consider what each path is, you will find your own way, your own convictions, and you will understand how these fit in with your particular situation, your resources, and your specific children.

We are on a learning journey:

• We can hike in the mountains, enjoying the rigor of the climb and the reward of the fresh alpine air (classical).
  • We can meander along the beach and pick up shells, seaweed, driftwood, and surfers (unschooling).
  • We can walk in the shaded forest, wade in the brook, turn over the moss, sketch a frog, pick wildflowers, count acorns in French, and read Shakespeare under the oak tree (CM).
  • We can investigate the desert, enjoying the stark beauty hidden in the vast expanses (boxed/workbook/textbook/encyclopedia).
  • We can stroll around our neighborhood, visiting the library, the bookstore, museums and parks (literature approach)
  • We can visit the grasslands, learning about the interconnectedness of life in this habitat (unit studies).
  • We can explore the rainforest, amazed at the impact on our senses (field trips, internships, travel).

Why limit yourselves to one way, to one narrow approach to a lifelong journey? Why teach yourself and your children only one way of approaching how we learn? Let your reading help you add to your Teaching Toolbox. HTH.

You sound just like me a few years ago. I will tell you my Big Epiphany. If you crave structure, go with it. Do not resist it. It is the structure that provides the scaffolding for easy-going days, for forays into topics of special interest. Also, you can have a structured school day (which does not have to equal regimented or inflexible) and a project-based life. It can be hard to imagine this when your kids are very young and you find yourself the leader of all learning by default. But as they get older, they get more independent. Before you know it, they have projects of their own. You just need to keep them in supplies and stand back! You know what project-based learning used to be called in the olden days? Hobbies! :D

I wholeheartedly agree with this, and am watching it play out with my (slightly older) children. We do have significant structure to our academics, not in terms of our schedule but in terms of how I organize the materials. We also have a project-based life, as AVA has so nicely put it. ;)

With my girls -- now 6, 6, and 8 -- they take the skills they gain during "school time" and incorporate them into their play-based projects. For example, this morning, they were writing in their journals. Now, this is totally off-grid for me, LOL. I have nothing to do with it, besides providing pens and paper. I sip my coffee and spell "museum" or "squirrel." They write and write and write. It's their own thing, not at all tied to school work, but blooming forth from it.

Another example: They will take a storyline from our read alouds and act it out in their play time. A few months ago, it was everything Narnia. "Oh, Aslan, will we evah come back to Narnia?" In a breathless, faux-British accent, no less. The latest and greatest is Misty of Chincoteague, complete with galloping and neighing all through the house. :toetap05: They are the ponies.

Many of my daughters' "projects" involve imaginary play, rainbow-fairy-princess costumes, crafting, paper, glue, glitter, TAPE, and millions of snips of paper on my freshly vacuumed carpet. But they will act out Greek myths this way. Atalanta in a pink leopard tutu really is so adorable. The tape that went into making the golden apples... oy.

My mother taught my 8 year old to crochet. I have no aptitude for this. My 8 year old taught one of her 6 year old sisters to crochet. They are now excited about yarn.

AVA is right, the "projects" used to be called hobbies, LOL. At our house, they are still called hobbies. I have felt a shift lately, especially with the 8 year old -- she is just full to bursting. It's time for hobbies. They are increasingly self-directed. I am the supplier of supplies. :)

My advice? Don't choose a philosophy. Just don't. Choose instead what works for you and your children. Pick and choose from various philosophies. Don't limit yourself to one particular approach, but instead allow for flexibility. Bring in elements of each approach that appeal to you and will work for your family.

In our homeschool, which I guess is technically "eclectic", we mix and match. The basics (reading, writing, math) are a mixture of living books and more standard schooly fare. For history, we're doing a longer version of the WTM cycle. Science is more along the lines of unit studies, or child-led. I bring in Waldorf style main lesson books, good literature, etc. And the kids each choose a project every month or two to work on, a la Project Based learning.

I found early on that I cannot keep us to any one particular philosophy of learning, because my kids learn different topics in different ways. While there is much I admire about each approach, I also have some issues with each one, so instead I pick out what works for us, and then I go from there.

You seem unsettled by the pendulum swing -- this way, that way. I would encourage you to not allow the apparent "swing" to unsettle you, but to create in you a wideness of thought and spirit.

Personally, I have come to appreciate the expanding views afforded by reading from various approaches. CM is attractive, unschooling has appeal, classical draws you in. What this means, I think, is that you are excited about learning and teaching! :) As you read and consider what each path is, you will find your own way, your own convictions, and you will understand how these fit in with your particular situation, your resources, and your specific children.

We are on a learning journey:

• We can hike in the mountains, enjoying the rigor of the climb and the reward of the fresh alpine air (classical).

• We can meander along the beach and pick up shells, seaweed, driftwood, and surfers (unschooling).

• We can walk in the shaded forest, wade in the brook, turn over the moss, sketch a frog, pick wildflowers, count acorns in French, and read Shakespeare under the oak tree (CM).

• We can investigate the desert, enjoying the stark beauty hidden in the vast expanses (boxed/workbook/textbook/encyclopedia).

• We can stroll around our neighborhood, visiting the library, the bookstore, museums and parks (literature approach)

• We can visit the grasslands, learning about the interconnectedness of life in this habitat (unit studies).

• We can explore the rainforest, amazed at the impact on our senses (field trips, internships, travel).

Why limit yourselves to one way, to one narrow approach to a lifelong journey? Why teach yourself and your children only one way of approaching how we learn? Let your reading help you add to your Teaching Toolbox. HTH.

Oh my gosh, this is like homeschooling poetry. :D

I get what you all are saying about picking and choosing from the various philosophies, and I definitely never intended to marry myself to any one thing to the exclusion of the others. I guess my conflict comes when I am tempted by CM's approach to language arts at the same time that I'm tempted by a more classical approach. So it's not like picking one approach for one subject and another approach for another approach. I'm actually conflicted about the SAME subject a lot of the time.

Ultimately, I think I (and dh) do lean classical for skills subjects. My conflicts are probably more about content subjects. Unschooling sounds great, CM sounds great, PBL sounds great, every now and then dh panics me into the WTM way (which I don't exactly prefer, especially for science)...but I can't do ALL of them, at least not at the same time. I do like the idea of just trying them all at different times and seeing which one is the best fit. Hmmmm...

I get what you all are saying about picking and choosing from the various philosophies, and I definitely never intended to marry myself to any one thing to the exclusion of the others. I guess my conflict comes when I am tempted by CM's approach to language arts at the same time that I'm tempted by a more classical approach. So it's not like picking one approach for one subject and another approach for another approach. I'm actually conflicted about the SAME subject a lot of the time.

Ultimately, I think I (and dh) do lean classical for skills subjects. My conflicts are probably more about content subjects. Unschooling sounds great, CM sounds great, PBL sounds great, every now and then dh panics me into the WTM way (which I don't exactly prefer, especially for science)...but I can't do ALL of them, at least not at the same time. I do like the idea of just trying them all at different times and seeing which one is the best fit. Hmmmm...

I do WTM, CM, and unschooling in LA. I even do some typical PS stuff. I do almost everything imaginable for math. :lol: I do CM and project-based science and history. Oh, wait, and some Waldorfy looking notebooks for science, history, and nature study. And then workbooks for some things. (Shhh! Don't tell!) We memorize poetry ala classical, but not lists. You could probably go through what we do here every day and tease out a dozen different philosophies. :D When I say it is OK to mix it up, I am saying it is OK to mix it all up. :tongue_smilie:

I think it is much easier to see how this works when you gain more day-to-day experiences in the trenches. It is harder to imagine mixing philosophies before you feel skilled in any one philosophy because it is all foreign. Experience makes all the difference. At a certain point, this feels natural. Then that feels natural. Then this and that and the other all feel natural together. You grow into it, just like anything else.

So, you are a mom of three now. Imagine...just imagine if you had to pick one philosophy of motherhood before giving birth, before you had practical experience as a mom. You read all the books you could get hold of and right before you give birth, the doctor says you must pick a mothering philosophy. What a joke, right? I mean, you would know your general feelings, kind of how you lean, but then WHAM! Here come these real kids, whom you love more than you could have ever imagined, and it's different. They are different from each other too. You adjust.

You don't have to start out perfect! Even if you did, you couldn't sustain perfection. LOL Right when you get something perfect, someone grows and changes and screws it all up again ;), leaving you searching for new answers anyway. :lol: Don't set your bar too high!

I completely understand. I was feeling exactly this way at this time last year, due in large part to the Circe thread. I was confident in my approach to some subjects, but in those where I felt more up in the air, I actually made a comparison chart. To use LA's as an example, I took the approaches I liked and listed out what they would each have us doing in X grade. I realized that all my favorites included copywork. OK, copywork is a must. Some were heavy on grammar(WTM) while others felt you could pick up grammar through rich literature (Bravewriter/CM). I realized that I agreed with a rigorous study of grammar, but I did not agree that it had to start at age 6. And so on...

I don't know if you actually want to go through all that, but I found it very beneficial. And it really comes down to what has already been said, to do what works right now and don't be afraid to change as time goes on.

I completely understand. I was feeling exactly this way at this time last year, due in large part to the Circe thread. I was confident in my approach to some subjects, but in those where I felt more up in the air, I actually made a comparison chart. To use LA's as an example, I took the approaches I liked and listed out what they would each have us doing in X grade. I realized that all my favorites included copywork. OK, copywork is a must. Some were heavy on grammar(WTM) while others felt you could pick up grammar through rich literature (Bravewriter/CM). I realized that I agreed with a rigorous study of grammar, but I did not agree that it had to start at age 6. And so on...

I don't know if you actually want to go through all that, but I found it very beneficial. And it really comes down to what has already been said, to do what works right now and don't be afraid to change as time goes on.

Right! When I suggested making a yes/no list for each philosophy, it wasn't to tally up which had the most yeses (<---don't think that is a word, but whatever :lol:) and choose that one, ruling the rest out. It was so that you could take all the things that were yeses and combine those things to make up a Bucolic philosophy.

As an example of how it is OK to pick, choose, and combine... I have always seen the benefit of narration done the CM way and the WTM way. They build different strengths. So I do them both here. Sometimes I will ask the kids to narrate by telling me all they can remember (CM), and sometimes I ask them to narrate by telling me the key points (WTM). Win-win!

I do WTM, CM, and unschooling in LA. I even do some typical PS stuff. I do almost everything imaginable for math. :lol: I do CM and project-based science and history. Oh, wait, and some Waldorfy looking notebooks for science, history, and nature study. And then workbooks for some things. (Shhh! Don't tell!) We memorize poetry ala classical, but not lists. You could probably go through what we do here every day and tease out a dozen different philosophies. :D When I say it is OK to mix it up, I am saying it is OK to mix it all up. :tongue_smilie:

I think it is much easier to see how this works when you gain more day-to-day experiences in the trenches. It is harder to imagine mixing philosophies before you feel skilled in any one philosophy because it is all foreign. Experience makes all the difference. At a certain point, this feels natural. Then that feels natural. Then this and that and the other all feel natural together. You grow into it, just like anything else.

So, you are a mom of three now. Imagine...just imagine if you had to pick one philosophy of motherhood before giving birth, before you had practical experience as a mom. You read all the books you could get hold of and right before you give birth, the doctor says you must pick a mothering philosophy. What a joke, right? I mean, you would know your general feelings, kind of how you lean, but then WHAM! Here come these real kids, whom you love more than you could have ever imagined, and it's different. They are different from each other too. You adjust.

You don't have to start out perfect! Even if you did, you couldn't sustain perfection. LOL Right when you get something perfect, someone grows and changes and screws it all up again ;), leaving you searching for new answers anyway. :lol: Don't set your bar too high!

SUCH a good point. The more kids I have and the older they get, the more I just laugh at myself as a new mom, with all my impossible plans and ideals. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just need to :chillpill:

I came back to this thread to add one more thought --

My biggest epiphany this past year or so has been that I'm a mother. I am a mother. These are my children. This is our family. This is our home. This is their childhood. This is my life, too, and this is how I see it -- I want to be their mother first and foremost.

It really put the home back in homeschooling, even if some of the schooling had take a back seat. HTH.

Since these posts are so general I have to ask what things specifically you think are in conflict in say, language arts?

I'm guessing that having you list out which aspects of each approach appeal to you and which don't might make this a more useful discussion.

Great Books

Living Books

First Source Materials

Narration

Studying History Chronologically

Copywork

Memorization

In The Field Nature Studies

Latin (as a language)

Greek (as a language)

Latin and Greek Roots

Formal Logic (and all its subcategories)

Subject Integration (unit studies)

etc.

You get the idea. What things, specifically, resonate with you and what things make you say, "No way!"

It's no trouble at all to choose a few aspects from a few approaches in language arts and do a different one each day.

I haven't had the time to read all the other replies, so I don't know if anyone else has discussed this or not.

I have a homeschool philosophy that is the core of who I am and how I view the end goal of our home education. However, my philosophy does not hinge on a single methodology. CM, classical, etc are often reduced to methodological terms. From my perspective, the philosophy is the core. How we get there can take multiple paths.......the methodology is organic. It grows/moves/shifts with age and child.

FWIW, my personal philosophy is the Ignatian philosophy: The goal of education is to equally educate the mind, soul, and body in order to allow them to to be interiorly free and achieve the end goals for which they were created.

I don't adhere to a single method, especially when they are little. My approach is more my morphing of multiple approaches. However, as my kids get older, classical education is the method that I see providing the greatest fruit for critical thinking and discerning fact from opinion, etc.

(Eta: I should clarify that the Ignatian philosophy was founded in the 1500s and was built upon classical methods. The separating fo the philosophy from methodology is a me-thing. Though as I continue teaching and watch the result of different approaches in my own children, I am recognizing that my kids that are more classically educated are stronger in the "analytical interpretation of language" than my more traditional high schoolers. However, I also have had at least one child that classical high school education would have smothered his enthusiasm for learning b/c he detested reading literature......classical lit would have been torture. He is now a college grad and an engineer and very happy. No regrets on not making his ed more classical. Anyway this edit has gotten too long. ;) )

I've struggled with this whole issue too, and at times I've felt like I was going crazy trying to sort it all out. I experimented with the various philosophies over the years, and with a lot of trial and error I found a way to combine some of the various philosophies in a way that works for us. Generally I've stuck to a classical model based on the "developmental ages" of my children and used that as my overarching framework. Just understanding the grammar, logic and rhetoric stages has been incredibly helpful for me. Not only does it help me understand my children, but it also helps me choose age appropriate curriculum. It also helped me understand what was really important for my children to focus on and where to put our time. Knowing this has helped me naturally develop the following pattern. I teach the fundamental skill subjects in a classical way (math, grammar, spelling, etc.) I teach the content subjects in a Charlotte Mason-ish way (history, literature, science, Bible) In other areas I take an unschooling approach and provided my children with tools to investigate and learn on their own, in their own way, on their own time (arts & crafts, computer skills, special projects or interest driven studies). I've found that using this combination works really well for us.

I also found that it's important for me not to "marry" one philosophy, and try to do everything exactly the way the philiosphy dictates. I found that this just isn't realistic for us. Some subjects just naturally lend themselves better to a classical style, or Charlotte Mason style, or to an unschooling style. I also find that it is important to stay somewhat flexible. Each of my children have different learning styles, and over the years they have had various weaknesses that needed special attention. So, each year when I plan my curriculum, I look at where my child is at developmentally, where their strengths and weaknesses are, and what style of curriculum would suit their needs at that time. The age of your children is something to consider as well. When my children were really little I tried unit studies, and what was nice about that was that we could all work together, but now that my kids are older they need to work individually, so unit studies aren't our best option anymore. I'm also finding that as they are getting older their preferences are changing. While my son used to like studying science in a Charlotte Mason way, he now thrives on textbooks and online classes. Applying a homeschool philosphy has turned out to be an organic process for me.

So, although it can lead to confusion, having knowledge of all these philosophies really is a great thing! What helped me was that I treated this knowledge as a tool to make me a better teacher and to help me run my homeschool according to my children's needs. At times it was tough not to let a certain philosophy "run" my homeschool, (especially if I re-read a particular book), but if I took a deep breath, stepped away from it for awhile, and looked at what my children (and I) really needed, I was able to take control and not get overwhelmed. I hope this helps :)

I really really love this....it's so me. When I was in college, my degree was in education with an emphasis on Waldorf because I loved it so much. But I also knew it wasn't the "one and only" method that I would use forever and ever. It is gentle, it is natural, but it has drawbacks or areas that I feel need tweaking. That's where I enjoy curriculum development, and bending ideas to fit our needs.

You wrote how I feel perfectly. I'm so glad to know we all have these issues and can find what works for each of us.

On another note, I've not been a fan of unit studies-the main reason is because I haven't found one that I feel truly meets the needs of all grade levels. Perhaps that's because I'm too grounded in classical learning. I'm going to embark on the trial weeks of TOG because I really do want to give it a fair chance.

I still choose some Waldorf and CM style methods to incorporate into our main core learning. We are a diverse society and I think diversity should be embraced in our education as well. As long as the methods don't cancel each other out which I strongly doubt would happen.

I've been reading and stuyding education and homeschooling since the early 90's when I wrote a Master's thesis on "Why Parent's Homeschool." I continue to read about learning and education, philosophies, pedagogies, methods, programs, memory, neurology, as does my dh. We do operate from a pedagogy based on a synthesis of what we have learned/know/ continue to learn and our experiences with effective education, our values, hopes, dreams, mission and experience as students ourselves, along with the learning styles/personalities of our children. We have a clearly defined pedagogy. As I've written before, this has saved us hundreds (maybe more) dollars in wasted curriculum, hours of my time searching for "the right thing" and frustration wondering why my kids aren't happy with the curriculum and ed experiences we have chosen to invest our time and money in. A pedagogy is a time, money and sanity saver.

Honestly, the more I learn, the more I teach, the more I undestand about brain function, the more I "get" what effective education is and does and affords a person, the better teacher I am, the more developed my pedagogy is. And here's the deal. There IS effective edcuation and there is ineffective edcuation. As much as I love and value literature, I believe that many of the lit based curriculums are short changing your student. Why? because they are heavy on overview and light on long term memorization. Lots of folks want to argue that learning dates, places, times, etc is fluff. But the real deal is that if you can train your kids brain to retain, it does. Not only that, they have more complex neural pathways and so stuff connects more readily, building even more complex pathways, etc.etc. If we teach them how to learn, and not just to memorize to the test, long term amazing stuff happens. Also, when you challenge your kids and require them to work hard, they get how to work hard.

CM is so magnetic - I agree- we value and incorporate nature studies and habits, along with art studies. Unschooling seems so natural. But of course. There is nothing more natural than letting your kids be themselves and enjoy their excitement and enthusiasm. Classical is great at skill building- hard work but very effective when actually done. I get what you are saying. I appreciate it. I see the value is a plethora of pedagogies. (see here and here) But here's what I have come to after 22 years of doing this. Your kids needs skills. They will be competing globally for jobs. We are a soft culture. We don't value skills the way we used to. Our kids have great self esteem but don't know that much compared to other big dogs on the block. (see 2 million minutes and Fared Zakara's Post American World) So, while I want and encourage them to have great life experiences and do lots of unique and interesting things, (I am a findcoolthings4mykids2dofool) I value skill building undergirded by a faith based system of understanding the world (Christian).

I just finised reading "So Good They Can't Ignore You." An excellent apologetic for Skill driven learning/work vs. a passion driven philosophy of study/work (which might not seem to answer your question, but take a look at it-- it just might)

I think of homeschool philosophy decisions as picking your puzzle.

First you look at the picture on the box.

Then you look at the piece count and the difficulty.

Then you decide what you have time, energy and resources for.

Purchase one or two, and set them out to work at them. Eventually, you'll probably give up on the ones that are too difficult for you to implement, and you'll work more and more on the one that works best for you and your family.

I've been devouring homeschool literature for a good five years now, so I've read plenty about all the major homeschool philosophies. Dh and I tend to lean classical (WTM specifically), but I'm telling you, every time I read about a different method I get confused. Something about Charlotte Mason is very magnetic for me. Unit studies seem like an awesome way to learn because everything is connected. Unschooling just seems so natural. Classical is good for us because we value fundamental knowledge and skills. I guess I see the merit in all of them and I can envision my family doing any one of them at any time. Am I the only one with an ongoing educational identity crisis? How do I choose curriculum???

(I know most homeschoolers are technically eclectic, but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean, I can see the value of language arts done the WTM way, the Charlotte Mason way, AND the unschooling way.)

I was just talking to my husband about this yesterday. I have a friend that is so confident in her homeschooling choices and never seems to question them. I used to know how I wanted to homeschool, but now I'm riddled with doubts. I think the difference between my friend and I is that I have been surfing these boards for the last ten years, whereas she's never stepped foot on the Internet. I have information overload and too many choices and options, where she's just continued along satisfied with what she's got.

If you haven't found it yet, Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschooling has a sort of personality quiz to help you assess what type of homeschooling philosophy you lean towards. My husband and I both took the quiz to see if we were on the same page when we first began and it was a rather useful discussion tool to get us to spell out not only our goals for the kids but how we planned to meet them.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Top-Picks-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/B006Z33PBC/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361719045&sr=1-36&keywords=homeschool (perhaps you library has a copy)

I don't know if the book has been updated but there are certainly many more providers than there were when the book was first written.

When I was first starting out last year with kindergarten, I spent way too much time overthinking things. I was obsessed with picking the perfect philosophy and really obsessed with figuring out my history schedule. It actually got to the point where I wasn't enjoying the homeschooling because I was so worried about the future and not the present.

I decided to step back from grandiose plans and settle some pressing needs. My oldest was in k. I knew I need to find the right math program for both him and me. We went through three and settled on right start (which we both love). I also found that ETC phonics really worked for us even though we by no means love it...lol.

In January of that year, after doing some unit studies, reading great literature, and basically just getting into a groove, I started to reread some education philosophy again. I went to some homeschool and education conferences as well. I really thought about myself and my children. So, we settled on a classical education (traditional not neo-classical) carried out in a CM manner. I made this decision from state of rest and it is open to change when circumstances change. But as of now, I am enjoying it and my kids are learning a lot (which is the point for me).

Since I plan to give my children a classical education, I am actually using these younger years to teach myself. I am learning Latin and reading classic literature. I am actually doing Kolbe 9th grade history and literature. I know that by the time my kids get there, I will have already done these things. That gives me a lot of reassurance.

Oh, and as far a the history schedule, I realized that I wasn't going to base my homeschool on history so that is why I couldn't come up with a schedule. History is important to me, but it will not be the core of our homeschool. Right now we are going through US History at or own pace and really enjoying it. I am going to start ancients next year along with the US History continuing.

Best of luck, but the best advice I can give you as someone who had been there is relax, pay attention to what works for your kids and yourself, and give yourself some space to think. Good luck!