Menu

Easy Peasy

lexi

Ok, I've been hearing a lot of talk about Easy Peasy Homeschool lately. So, being a curriculum junkie I of course had to go check it out.

First, the layout is a little confusing to me. It seems a little difficult to navigate-maybe because there's so much there......

But after looking around the site, I keep thinking I'm missing something. Everyone says it's a complete curricula but when I looked at it, there doesn't seem to be much there as far as depth in each subject. The math and language arts seems really light to me. :glare: I'm not sure it would be challenging to my first grader (who is fairly average).

So, who uses this? Who has checked it out? What does everyone think? Do you like it? Do you think it's complete?

I've heard it recommended so many times but after looking at the website I'm not sure I understand the hype. Thoughts??? :confused1:

Yeah, the layout is confusing.

And from the title "Easy Peasy"...I would expect it to be light. Depth is not easy; challenges aren't easy.

True.........I thought they meant easy as in planned out for you and easy to use. But the layout confuses me, so that's not "easy" right there.

I showed it to my hubby because he was curious too and he didn't feel it was rigorous after looking through some of the first grade week plans. It looked like all you did was watch math videos for math or play online games. I'm not sure where all the teaching and practice is. It also seemed disjointed.

But, I've read nothing but positives about it so I thought maybe I was totally missing something!

could the glowing reviews be plants from the founders of the program?

What a terrible, baseless insinuation! No, she asked for reviews on facebook and many of her fans sent reviews. She recently had a premature baby that was in the hospital for a long time, but even with that has continued to work on and improve her website. I use it as a supplement and love it. The reading section is excellent. So much so, that I decided not to buy the second part of our Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read. My kids are in Grade 1 and K and the content is full and fun for them. ETA: Easy Peasy has been a huge blessing for us!

We LOVE Easy Peasy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use it for my 7 and 9 year old. I must say that there is NO busy work that I have seen and is complete. We do use other materials as every curriculum you can add or subtract from however if you just used easy peasy it would be complete. Lee who runs Easy Peasy is an amazing woman who has dedicated so much time to this FREE curriculum. I love her and love the curriculum . I found easy peasy through a homeschool blog and fell in love with it. You can check out the FB page and get a feel for the curriculum and how many homeschooling families have been helped.

Susan Khan

I use it with my older children my sixth and eighth grader we supplement lightly, but overall I find it to be a fairly complete curriculum. Right now we need very independent work to happen with our family situation so I'm thrilled with it I think it's a huge blessing and I'm so glad to have it. i think it could make a good base even if you add stuff to it and it could be a very good basic start for school. Certainly can't beat the price!

I haven't heard of this...and opened this thread hoping you were giving out tips to make homeschooling more easy peasy!!! :D

Wouldn't that be nice??? Homeschooling is the most challenging, yet rewarding, thing I've ever done. And we're only in 1st grade! We have a long way to go!

What a terrible, baseless insinuation! No, she asked for reviews on facebook and many of her fans sent reviews. She recently had a premature baby that was in the hospital for a long time, but even with that has continued to work on and improve her website. I use it as a supplement and love it. The reading section is excellent. So much so, that I decided not to buy the second part of our Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read. My kids are in Grade 1 and K and the content is full and fun for them. ETA: Easy Peasy has been a huge blessing for us!

it wasn't an insinuation, but simply a question, since she wasn't getting any answers from anyone who has actually used the program. Posting self-positive reviews is not uncommon in the online world, it is a problem, I have heard, on Amazon and people are even paid to leave a positive review.

I am honestly sorry I offended you, I do not know the person who made the program. Again, though I did not insinuate this was so but merely put the question out there.

it wasn't an insinuation, but simply a question, since she wasn't getting any answers from anyone who has actually used the program. Posting self-positive reviews is not uncommon in the online world, it is a problem, I have heard, on Amazon and people are even paid to leave a positive review.

Why would anyone pay someone to leave a review for a completely FREE curriculum though? It's free. There is no money being made. That just doesn't even make sense to me.

Yes, people pay for Amazon reviews. They're making money off the sales of some item being reviewed.

I looked briefly at Easy Peasy when I first heard about it a month or so ago. It looked fine to me. I just wouldn't use it for my kids because it's too much screen time for them. I have one child who gets behavior problems if he has a lot of screen time, even if it's educational.

I am honestly sorry I offended you, I do not know the person who made the program. Again, though I did not insinuate this was so but merely put the question out there.

Questions like that cause a shadow of doubt to surround a person. This thread was started just before midnight and you posted the question a short time later. It didn't give people much time to give input. I think it is best to give a person the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry for upsetting you though. I just love the curriculum and felt sad to see it questioned as possibly being fraudulent.

I didn't mean for the thread to get out of hand. I just wondered if anyone used this curriculum and if they felt it was complete. I had never heard of it before now but wanted some feedback. I have friend who would benefit from a free, laid out curriculum but wanted to hear some reviews before I mentioned it to anyone. I asked purely out of curiosity. I'm still checking over the website but there is so much there that it is overwhelming.

So, does anyone else have experience with this curriculum?

We will be using it for chemistry. I am grateful I found it. Money is incredibly tight right now and I just don't have the resources to get extra stuff. A mama from Hive suggested Easy Peasy and that is what we are using. :)

I have used MANY different things over the last decade. Not one has been 100% what I want. That is the nature of homeschooling. I have become a genious at making it work for us. :) Each family is different.....use what seems a good fit and suppliment or dump the rest.

I agree with you. This is a common practice. After I had a weird interaction with this man who developed a math app (it wasn't correct for some of the times tables, and he initially didn't understand and so put no priority on fixing it, making the app not too useful given that the missi numbers were why I bought the program!) he signed me up for all sorts of mailing lists (wives of p*rn addicts, online gambling, weight loss, coupons, etc) - several of them emailed me the IP address used to set them up, and it was from the exact geographic area he lives in (I checked the IP address from his emails). Anyway he now has a glowing review. The last name of the female reviewer is his last name, but of course, his last name isn't anywhere on iTunes, I just happen to know it because of the email exchanges. I ended up removing my review, instead of giving him a good one after he fixed it. i would have promoted his app on here if it were any good! but I certainly won't now. So I do think one has to proceed with caution with online reviews.

I took a peek at it. Huh! Where'd she find the time to do all that?

This looks like a fascinating option for someone who is pressed for time or is having a family emergency and doesn't have pre-researched curriculum ready.

Never saw anything quite like this.

• 2 months later...

I took a peek at it. Huh! Where'd she find the time to do all that?

This looks like a fascinating option for someone who is pressed for time or is having a family emergency and doesn't have pre-researched curriculum ready.

Never saw anything quite like this.

Honestly I am a curriculum hoarder. I have TRIED so many different things and mostly paid for curriculum. This curriculum is NOT only FREE but is QUALITY and far better than some of the paid curriculum. Do NOT let the word FREE scare you away from it. If you look at the older grades you will be SO impressed. As with any curriculum some do choose to supplement however if you do choose to use as STAND alone it is COMPLETE. Lee founder of Easy Peasy follows the Pennsylvania standards for those of you wondering.

I am currently using it for my active 4 yr old. He already knew his letters, letter sounds, colors, shapes, and recognizes numbers. It has been hard finding something fun for him that was age appropriate but engaging. I had Easy Peasy bookmarked for quite awhile and after seeing it show up over and over again on various forums, I decided to give it a try. Well, I have found what works for him. He is doing Getting Ready 1 and we are on Day 178 doing the McGuffy primer and he is retaining all the words and able to read those texts so far. He really enjoys the videos of the ABCs so he does those after we finish our reading lesson. He needs work on his writing skills so I print off the worksheets for him. It is the only thing that I have found that works for him that he enjoys doing and is learning. As far as reading, it is advanced. I tried my older 2 (which are reading rather well for 5 and 6 yr olds) in the first grade reading and had to back up to Get Ready 2. I did read that at the end of first grade, the child's reading level is that of a 3rd grader.

I love that I can customize their learning levels which is what I needed for the 4 yr old. Most pre-K curric was too boring or below his level and this works great. You can move them up or down a level in the various subjects without the need to buy a new curriculum that may not work for every subject. I will be using it for reading and music for my older boys. I use CLE for Language Arts and Math. I'll be starting MFW Adventures for the other subjects but will supplement Easy Peasy when needed for the older boys.

I looked at the program last night. I like the basic structure of the overall plan, and the author's educational philosophy. It appears to me that it is not the authors plan to be ultra-rigorous, but to be doable for normal children in the amount of time on task that PS children spend on task, but still be a college prep curriculum.

It'll be interesting to see if one woman can finish this and keep all the links up to date. It's a huge undertaking.

I looked at the program last night. I like the basic structure of the overall plan, and the author's educational philosophy. It appears to me that it is not the authors plan to be ultra-rigorous, but to be doable for normal children in the amount of time on task that PS children spend on task, but still be a college prep curriculum.

It'll be interesting to see if one woman can finish this and keep all the links up to date. It's a huge undertaking.

I have used rigorous curriculum as well as many well know ones used by many on this board. The reading in my opinion is advanced (check the reading of Jolly Robin at the beginning of year 1) My 9 year old is just finishing easy peasy 4 and going on to level 5 and level 6 spanish. He is considered gifted and ahead in most subjects. As with any curriculum some of us choose to supplement certain things. As of now there are many of us who are volunteering to help with support groups for each grade level and help with monitoring and development.

I have used rigorous curriculum as well as many well know ones used by many on this board. The reading in my opinion is advanced (check the reading of Jolly Robin at the beginning of year 1) My 9 year old is just finishing easy peasy 4 and going on to level 5 and level 6 spanish. He is considered gifted and ahead in most subjects. As with any curriculum some of us choose to supplement certain things. As of now there are many of us who are volunteering to help with support groups for each grade level and help with monitoring and development.

You are right about the reading. I found the decision to advance the reading, very interesting and something I appreciated for many homeschool families. I really am impressed with the overall plan; and as a person who is OCD that is quite the complement from me. :lol:

I'm am very glad to hear the author is receiving support for her project. It is well worth supporting. I will be staying tuned.

I do not use this curriculum, too much screen time for my liking, but I do follow them on FB. Many people comment on their FB page about what a blessing the curriculum has been.

I do have a hs friend who uses this curriculum. She has high praise for it because it is the first curriculum she has used that her son enjoys and wants to do.

AFAIK from following them on FB, she was able to put this curriculum together simply because it is what she's been using with her own kids. I think it started out as her kind of keeping track of everything and bloomed from there. Don't quote me though, this is just my fuzzy memory from what I have read in the past. :)

I felt the same way you did the first few times I looked at EP. It just seemed like as supplement or fun computer time for the kids. It seemed to simple to be a stand alone curriculum. It took me awhile to be sold on the curriculum. At one point my dc were just bored to tears with hs and so I decided to take a break from our formal curriculum and give EP a try. My dc loved it and actuallly learned.Eventually we did get back to our curriculum and we just use EP here and there. It is completely free so give it a try and once you get use to the site it becomes easy to navigate.

Thanks for the replies.

I was just looking for someone who has used the program who could provide a review.

I'm not looking to stir things up. I'm just wanting to hear how it works and what a day is like using it.

I've looked at it a few times. I wouldn't do the entire program simply because of the screen time required and my children aren't as into the computer anyway.

However, I am strongly leaning toward using her computer and PE programs.

I am impressed with what she has put together....I just don't like the screen time, personally.

Hi Susan, do you have links to the support groups please, are they like a yahoo group?

CJ

Here is the main support group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Easy.Peasy.All.in.One.Homeschool/

and here are the individual pages for each level https://www.facebook.com/groups/Easy.Peasy.All.in.One.Homeschool/doc/371804459606558/

Susan Khan

I must have a look, and open a facebook account. Speaking of screen Tim I just accidentally bought the complete magic school us (I usually go right the way through to get a shipping quote but this time I was logged in and it did a kind of one click thing through my kindle account). My son was so excited I decided just to let it go ahead and use some money I hope to get next week to cover it. I am hopeless but it is usually books i buy - i could spend thousands if i had it.

We've decided to use EP for "our summer school". My kids enjoy it immensely! My 4yr old, 8yr old, & my almost 10yr old all ENJOY it! Their school is complete by lunch time and they get the rest of the day to be KIDS! I've printed all the days for each of my children. We've missed a lot of school days this year that our summer is schooling Mon-Thurs. Our new school year will begin around September. I'm hoping all my kids will be ready or close to being ready for their new grade levels. My excelled learner LOVES doing more than just one day of scheduled lessons on the EP site. She prefers 2 days of lessons each day of school. She begins earlier than the other kids and completes at the same time if not just shortly after them. I've purchased all of next year's curriculum and I'm 90% certain we won't be using any of it and going straight to EP! My kids LOVE learning this way. They have PLENTY of off screen time the REST of the day! :) I love EP because I can leave my kids to their school work while I tend to our everyday housechores. I have time to do MY things too! I'm always only a step away from my kids if they need me. We use the apple tv to teach lessons because my oldest dd finds it hard to follow along Lee's presentations. My middle dd finds her easy to understand and my ds loves her reading little stories about each Alphabet letter critter. Each of my children have a 3" binder. I have each subject separated with nice dividers. I've printed all their lessons and at the top of each page with pencil wrote day x so my children know when they open the math section they see the day they are needing written at the top and can manage their work without needing me as much. I am still a hands on teacher with my kids though! For new lessons we have activities and I use the cusinaire rods to help clarify any confusion with math lessons, but Lee makes it fun and easier for my kids to grasp with the free links to games and the free printable worksheets. Next year we will be adding Computer, P.E., Science, History, & Spanish. I imagine our school days will NOT be completed by lunch time and imagine it'll be closer to 1:30. We will have our own art curriculum since I purchased recently the Home Art Studio entire DVD collection and will save Art for Friday's only. Also I love that Lee doesn't have the kids doing ALL subjects everyday! This allows a shorter school day and keeping the kids engaged just enough before burn out occurs!

• 3 weeks later...

We've decided to use EP for "our summer school". My kids enjoy it immensely! My 4yr old, 8yr old, & my almost 10yr old all ENJOY it! Their school is complete by lunch time and they get the rest of the day to be KIDS! I've printed all the days for each of my children. We've missed a lot of school days this year that our summer is schooling Mon-Thurs. Our new school year will begin around September. I'm hoping all my kids will be ready or close to being ready for their new grade levels. My excelled learner LOVES doing more than just one day of scheduled lessons on the EP site. She prefers 2 days of lessons each day of school. She begins earlier than the other kids and completes at the same time if not just shortly after them. I've purchased all of next year's curriculum and I'm 90% certain we won't be using any of it and going straight to EP! My kids LOVE learning this way. They have PLENTY of off screen time the REST of the day! :) I love EP because I can leave my kids to their school work while I tend to our everyday housechores. I have time to do MY things too! I'm always only a step away from my kids if they need me. We use the apple tv to teach lessons because my oldest dd finds it hard to follow along Lee's presentations. My middle dd finds her easy to understand and my ds loves her reading little stories about each Alphabet letter critter. Each of my children have a 3" binder. I have each subject separated with nice dividers. I've printed all their lessons and at the top of each page with pencil wrote day x so my children know when they open the math section they see the day they are needing written at the top and can manage their work without needing me as much. I am still a hands on teacher with my kids though! For new lessons we have activities and I use the cusinaire rods to help clarify any confusion with math lessons, but Lee makes it fun and easier for my kids to grasp with the free links to games and the free printable worksheets. Next year we will be adding Computer, P.E., Science, History, & Spanish. I imagine our school days will NOT be completed by lunch time and imagine it'll be closer to 1:30. We will have our own art curriculum since I purchased recently the Home Art Studio entire DVD collection and will save Art for Friday's only. Also I love that Lee doesn't have the kids doing ALL subjects everyday! This allows a shorter school day and keeping the kids engaged just enough before burn out occurs!

How has it been going with EP :)

I just read a blog post by the creator of Easy Peasy on freehomeschooldeals.com.

She describes the program and her reasoning behind it. It seems that one reason she designed the program using free online resources is that they are a missionary family that travels frequently oversees, and so it is better for their lifestyle to have minimal books to carry. She also is hoping this program she has designed for her children will be a blessing to others who are struggling and need a free and easy option to get through rough patch. She sounds like a great person.

http://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/free-homeschool-curriculum/

I had the exact thoughts as OP. I've been hearing Easy Peasy all over the HSing forums lately. Every single time a HS newbie asks about curriculum, someone chimes in with EP. I don't get it. I looked at it a few times, had to with all the hoopla it's been getting. The site is just ......too much, for me. Not too much in terms of what the child does, but too much to figure out...can't imagine doing it with more than one child. Not for me.

I'm trying it out for reading this summer. The boys are reading other books in addition to EP, but I wanted something a little more formalized for comprehension checks. The English doesn't feel like a full enough course to stand on its own, but I only need it for reading anyway. I really like that it starts with poetry. I never get to it otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How has it been going with EP :)

I'm terribly sorry its been so long since I've been on this forum. I'm enjoying the summer schedule with my kids! We also just found out we are expecting our last little one this coming April 2014!

As for EP we are still using it and enjoying. We are using Xtramath.org right now for the kids to get their math facts down before we move into this coming school year and begin teaching the lessons she has them doing. I will also still be using Math Mammoth. We aren't doing any Science or History of hers this coming year. We are keeping what we already love! We will be doing SOTW 3 and Elemental Science. We will be doing Home Art Studio for Art and not following her Art. The reading we will be doing will include chapter books and library books, not what she has. My kids don't like that style. My son will be using BOB books and Reading Eggs. He is also enjoying Math Seeds as well. Her program for preschoolers doesn't include reading or math in the way that I've done it with my kids. She has them mastering their letters and I love the approach but it's a bit slow for my ds4. We will move right into GR2 this upcoming year and keep doing Reading Eggs and Math Seeds on the side as additional work for him on Fridays. Our spelling won't be AAS anymore and I am sad about that because we love it and it teaches so well!! BUT it's just way too teacher intensive right now on top of doing science and history with 3 kids. We are doing SpellingCity.com for the spelling right now and although my kids spend a week doing the spelling lists they aren't grasping as quickly as AAS. However I will continue to have patience and if they keep struggling we will happily pull AAS back out. I love the daily lesson layout for each grade, my kids do too. I have customized them their own log ins on each computer and all their websites for particular subjects like Xtramath.org, SpellingCity.com, ect.... are bookmarked on the favorites tab. This makes schooling a BREEZE!! My kids spend 2 hours doing school each day during the summer. Once we begin our school year they will be spending about 3-4 hours tops. Our writing we did use WWE and FLL, we won't be doing that this upcoming year. My kids enjoy her writing of vocabulary and I do as well. :)

Overall it's a fit for us but I've picked apart what we won't be using and what we will. We are still using TWTM Science & History suggestions. Hers is nicely laid out too, but we are already fans of what we've used in the past. With baby coming in April of next year I am hoping using EP and some hodge podge of things between this will make schooling during hard times much easier! What I found with what we were using before was so teacher heavy that I wasn't able to even focus on the house until school was done around 3-4pm. My ds4 was getting bored and wanted to play with his sisters. He had work and busy things but after awhile he wore out of it all and it became stressful. With the pregnancy and all the stuff that goes on with mom around that time I'll be rest assured I can send my kids to do their school work and just be sure to have my Science and History tucked away next to me for them to enjoy some story time together. Also the schooling that's done on the computer is done on laptops. I enjoy this a lot, because this past Spring we purchased a nice patio set and this allows our school to move outside!

I'm sorry if I rambled. I could easily use ALL that she uses and NOTHING else and be perfectly fine. I'm choosing not to at this time though.

Even though this was just updated, I've already changed my plan ONCE again!!! I'm so faithful to TWTM approach that I can't steer fully from it....just yet! We will be using EP for my ds who will be in preschool, however! My dd8 who will be in 3rd grade we will use EP on Friday's for some math game review and some of the other review games the site offers. I've decided this just recently because my dc are retaining but I want them to be a bit more involved in their schooling without the dependency of the computer. My dd10 who will be in 5th grade LOVES it and enjoys that it only takes a few hours to complete her entire school day. I fear she's breezing through and do the basics of anything and not going a bit deeper just to complete her work.

I like her entire layout and if I wasn't so faithful to TWTM and it's approach and know that it works I must steer away. Even though EP is thorough! We will still use EP and I will use it as review and some back up incase we fall off schedule, but it won't be the focus of our school year after all.

We plan on using.

Math: Math Mammoth & the math review games from EP on Friday's.

English: Rod & Staff English (We were doing FLL but the lessons were taking almost an hour to do! My kids were dreading it!!)

Grammar: Easy Grammar (Completed twice a week)

Science: Elemental Science Chemistry (2d/week)

History: Story of the World (Finish 2 and begin on 3) (2d/week)

Foreign Language: Spanish

Art: Home Art Studio (Friday's only)

Reading: Focus on reading library books daily

Writing: Writing with Ease (Was going to drop this and realized this is the only writing my kids enjoy because of the stories!)

Spelling: Will use Rod & Staff Spelling and use Spelling City as review on Friday's. (I'm not doing AAS because of the teacher intensity required, having 3 elementary level kids and pregnant makes this at the moment unrealistic)

Geography: Workbook

I have workbooks for Science and History that I plan on keeping for the times we have a flop week and I just can't pick myself off the derailed track! Going to be prepared for that this year. Although our school year curriculum is a hodge podge, I'm ok with that!

• 9 months later...

We have been using Getting Ready 1 with my 3 year old and it has been very good for her - she liked the activities and has recently started McGuffey Primer - they start with sight word reading and my 3 year old already has a number of sight words so I am using the book for early phonics training instead and do NOT teach the words the way they are stated in the curriculum. I also print the book in bigger print which can get expensive and does take time, but this is what works for my child and saves on screen time. This is not the only curriculum my 3 year old does though and nor do we do it exactly as scripted.

I did try the grade 2 curriculum with DD6 as a supplement and she learnt a lot and some of the activities were very challenging for her (doing crosswords on the various biomes for example). The Math I feel is behind in the early grades - grade 2 Math was way too easy for my DD who is in grade 1 now. I don't know what happens in the higher grades. I no longer use this curriculum with my elder child though will look up various sections (so use SOTW2 and then look for activities in their history section that covers the Middle Ages)

I think it is a good curriculum, but like with any curriculum I could not use it as it is written. Actually I supplement everything I use and have no main currciulum for anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest amstrayer

Has anyone else had any experience with easy peasy in the past year?  Thanks

We use EP and love it. Last year I spent a fortune on curriculum and by January we had switched to EP for several of our subjects. This year we decided to go fully EP for my 4th and 6th grader. Because math and English concern me the most I had a Math teacher and an English teacher check out this program. Both of them have said they think it's going to be great. My girls are both very excited to start back on Monday. They share a computer so normally they do what they can on their tablets and when they need to computer they take turns. So far it's worked pretty well. I do have the luxury of letting them use mine if it's necessary but it doesn't happen very often.