Menu

what would you think this course would be about?

Melissa in Australia

160 members have voted

1. 1. What would you thing the course Conservation and Land Management would be about?

• conserving ancient relics
    • restoring historic buildings
    • learning about the environment as a prelude to becoming a wildlife officer
    • learning how to be a tree hugging greenie
    • I have no idea
    • other

Well, it wouldn't have been exactly any of those things where I went to college. It would have been a forestry class about land management dealing with timber, marking natural resources, and planning for future growth, or perhaps a parks/recreation class that dealt with national parks and protected areas. I didn't hang out much in the wildlife biology or agriculture departments, so they might have had their own versions of the class. (Or- what I guessed is what you meant with option three!)

I voted for what it would be in California. Back home that kind of course would include conservation of old buildings as well as urban re-development.

I would expect a course like that to be called "Preservation and Urban Development".

I voted for forest management.

Managing natural resources for habitat preservation/improvement.

Restoration of native landscapes, removal of invasive species

Stream management to create habitat for aquatic wildlife

working with landowners to create favorable conditions for wildlife

This is what I thought the course would entail, but I didn't think any of the poll choices fit so I voted 'other'.

the course has the things that Rentrude mentioned, plus learning animal trapping, tracking and monitoring, especially of endangered species, tree identification, surveying and reporting on impact of Bushfire on the fauna and flora and recovery of a burned area of bush, introduction to fire management, as well as fire fighting skills like chainsaw operating, tree falling, 4 x4 driving etc.

I have had 4 people I know think it was a greenie camp, and one person who thought it was all about restoration and preservation of old buildings ( he was an Italian backpacker we picked up hitch hiking)