Menu

Are Potter's School Foreign Language Teachers Certified?

I am trying to find an on-line Russian language program for my daughter to use in ninth grade. Looks like Potter's School offers it. Am I correct in thinking that many colleges require foreign languages to be taught by a certified teacher, as opposed to Rosetta Stone or an equivalent? And those of you who have used Potter's School for foreign language, were those classes acceptable to colleges?

Thanks,

Staci

The only criteria I've ever heard was a thread a week or two ago about the Univ of Nebraska - Lincoln. It wasn't their only "non-homeschool friendly" requirement, so they are hardly representative.

Ds had two years of German on his mommy-transcript and none of his schools questioned how we did it..

If you have an idea of where they're interested in going, I'd give the college a call. If they have no idea yet, call your local flagship state school and check out their requirements.

Many of the schools weren't interested in how the student learned the foreign language, just their proficiency. If the student did not take a college class or an AP exam, they required an placement test. Then again, every school ds was looking at had a foreign language requirement in college, so although they required a certain number of high school FL credits, how you got them was irrelevent. Again, a better gauge of this would be to check with several schools that your child might be interested in.