Menu

Best PA Homeschoolers AP Classes? AP English Comp. especially?

I'm sure there have been other posts like this one, but I can't find them! What are your opinions on the PA Homeschoolers AP classes? Particularly AP English Language and Composition? My dd is taking APUSH this year with Mrs.Richman and LOVING it!!! So we want to continue the trend with AP composition next year. Are the classes good? I've personally heard that Mrs.Inspektor is excellent, it makes sense of course since she is Mrs.Richman's daughter. :) Please tell me your thoughts!

We did lots of AP classes in high school, but we couldn't afford to outsource many of them. But, the three APs that we did outsource were all with PA Homeschoolers. Of those three, English Language & Composition and Statistics were huge winners.

My child's English AP teacher doesn't work for them any longer, so I can't give you specific teacher advice for that course. All of the teachers did a fantastic job that year, though (dd had friends in the other sections). Each teacher is a little different in approach, world view, assignments & projects, and literature selection. I'd highly recommend reading each teacher's page carefully and also looking at the comments from past students which are linked there, and then I'd let my student pick the section that appeals most.

My daugher took Mrs. Inspektor's class. I highly recommend it.

Holly

I'm sure there have been other posts like this one, but I can't find them! What are your opinions on the PA Homeschoolers AP classes? Particularly AP English Language and Composition? My dd is taking APUSH this year with Mrs.Richman and LOVING it!!! So we want to continue the trend with AP composition next year. Are the classes good? I've personally heard that Mrs.Inspektor is excellent, it makes sense of course since she is Mrs.Richman's daughter. :) Please tell me your thoughts!

My daugher took Mrs. Inspektor's class. I highly recommend it.

Holly

DS took Mrs. Inspektor's English Comp class and loved it. The class was very organized, very thorough and very engaging.

Do follow Kathy's advice to read teacher bios. I also emailed Mrs. Richman for more insights on teacher worldviews.

My daughter took Eng. Lang with Mrs. I last year and is taking APUSH with Mrs. R this year as a senior. Overall, if your daughter loves Mrs. R's class then Mrs. I's class is a good bet. My daughter loves Mrs. R's class more than Mrs. I's, but a big part of it is that she prefers history to English in general---the vast majority of Mrs. I's students absolutely love her class and continue on with Mrs. I for AP Lit. Mrs. I runs her class very similar to Mrs. R and definitely shares her mother's enthusiastic, nurturing approach to teaching. One difference in the class format is that Mrs. I provides daily messages/assignments rather than weekly assignments which makes it more difficult to plan your workload. There is an overall syllabus, but I don't think the specific assignments are known until the morning message, which include responding to discussion questions that are due at the end of the day. Larger writing assignments are explained and have due dates well in advance, but those morning message assignments can really disrupt your day! Mrs. I's class is definitely interactive, with book clubs and other group projects (my daughter loved this part of the class), so the kids really get to know each other even though it is a large class. The best part of the class is writing the Peace Essay--the writing/editing process was the most valuable experience of my daughter's high school years, and the Washington DC trip for the state winners is an unbelievable experience-- Mrs. I's class has an unbelievable number of winners.

Not sure about the OP, but I would love other suggestions and opinions!

OP, I hope I'm not overstepping here...

One of my kids is doing AP English Language through www.BlueTentOnline.com. It is a fantastic class and very demanding. It is time intensive... for my child, at least. I am *extremely* impressed with what is being taught. I was worried about having an AP class online, as I have heard stories where it didn't 'work' for some reason, but the format she uses works well. Feedback is fantastic, and stretches the student. My child is learning/doing much more than peers at the local (highly acclaimed & rated!) ps. The class is worth every penny.

As an aside, I'll also plug the Honors Engligh through them. Fantastic all around!

I'm not affiliated with them~~I'm just a very happy customer!!

@ Wildcat- thanks for your suggestion; you're definitely not overstepping. It sounds like a really good class- I will have to check it out. :) Can you tell me if there is a good amount of reading in it? Is there a lot of writing? We are looking for an intensive class, and any feedback you could give me would be very helpful. Thank you! :D

One of my kids is doing AP English Language through www.BlueTentOnline.com. It is a fantastic class and very demanding. It is time intensive... for my child, at least. I am *extremely* impressed with what is being taught. I was worried about having an AP class online, as I have heard stories where it didn't 'work' for some reason, but the format she uses works well. Feedback is fantastic, and stretches the student. My child is learning/doing much more than peers at the local (highly acclaimed & rated!) ps. The class is worth every penny.

As an aside, I'll also plug the Honors Engligh through them. Fantastic all around!

For those looking to save $$$, Blue Tent's cost is $100-150 less than PA Homeschoolers.

http://teacherweb.co...pson/apt18.aspx

My ds needs a serious amount of direction and individual instruction for his writing and that's just what Brigid provides.

Thanks to her, he scored a 5 on the Eng Lang exam last May; he is taking Eng Lit with her now.

I can't say enough good things about her.

ds is self-studying AP Physics and is taking AP Stats, Calc and Chem w/ PA Homeschoolers this year.

All the teachers are terrific and highly recommended!

These classes look very promising. Thank you!