Menu

Sudden onset of tailbone pain--anyone??

momto3innc

This is so bizarre to me. I had a totally normal day yesterday. It was busy and active and I felt fine. However around 5:00 I was sitting and talking with friends for an hour or so and just couldn't seem to get comfortable sitting down. After I stood up, my tailbone area felt a little sore. Within an hour, I was in serious pain. Hurt to sit, to lie flat, to bend over. I haven't had an sort of falls, injuries, pregnancies, etc... lately. I didn't even work out this week. The area is tender to the touch as well if that makes any difference. I really haven't had any indication that I can think of over the last few days that anything was wrong.

I took some alleve last night and stayed in positions that weren't painful (on my side lying down) and this morning is a little better but some positions are still brutal if I forget. The rest of me feels fine.

Has anyone had this happen? Any thoughts? Treatments? I guess I'll call the chiropractor Monday...or would this be a regular doctor thing?

This happened to me. I did break my tailbone (or crack it, or whatever) many, many years ago when I fell on ice. When it happened this time, I hadn't done anything at all. It just started hurting more and more until it was just as excrutiating as when I first broke it years earlier. I have no idea how it happened. This was about 5 years ago and it still hurts a little sometimes if I sit on it wrong for too long.

It SOUNDS like you may have broken your tailbone, and there is not much you can do about it except to let it slowly mend. You might have to sit on a pillow or get one of those inflatable "donuts" to sit on. It can be very painful! Sorry!

Possibly bursitis? I had a bad fall when I was young and I hadn't broken my tailbone (doc said my tailbone is shaped differently than most and that probably helped in my case) but the pain was awful. Couldn't sit right, trouble walking. Stairs were killer. Anyway he said there's a sac under the tailbone and mine was inflamed from the fall. He gave me a steroid shot which hurt like crazy and I'm not sure it helped at all. I didn't get a donut pillow. Mostly I just avoided putting pressure on it. It took a few weeks before I was all better.

I hope you heal up soon! :grouphug:

I fell on an icy driveway years ago and to this day have to be careful how I sit to avoid tailbone pain. I use a donut pillow in bed at night (I sleep sitting up or my arms go numb and wake me up - odd carpel tunnel thing.).

Worse part is family thinks it is so darn funny. Tailbones don't get any respect!

Is there any signs of redness or anything? The sudden onset is a bit odd. Have you injured it in the past and maybe you reinjured it.

My son broke my tailbone during his birth and it was very painful. It took weeks to be able to sit comfortably (I could only nurse lying down) and it took months for me to be able to sit without reminders that I had broken that bone.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the sudden onset was very odd to me. I can't think of any falls I've had anytime in the near past. Honestly, I'm sure when I was an early teen I fell off horses I was riding and ice skating once or twice. But that was probably 20 plus years ago...don't know that it would flare up now. I really don't think I've ever had tailbone pain in my adult life.

I'll keep an eye on it. No redness at all, just tenderness. Hurts if I sit back, mildly uncomfortable when I walk, bending to pick something off the ground is a no no for sure. Also I'm fine laying on my sides but not flat on my back. Again, it is not as bad as last night, but definitely uncomfortable. I'm planning to either call doc or chiropractor Monday but if something seemed worse, any fever or anything I'd go this weekend. Urgent care is only open til noon today so my time for that has been missed. It would have to be ER at this point and at this point I don't think I need to do that.

Thanks!

If you had previously injured it, the prolonged sitting might have aggravated it. watch it, if the pain worsesns I would contact a regular dr as it might have become infected. Otherwise donut pillows, lying on stomach . . . etc. and time.

My great-grandmother broke her tailbone - and died from the resulting infection. (before antibiotics).

This happened to me. I did break my tailbone (or crack it, or whatever) many, many years ago when I fell on ice. When it happened this time, I hadn't done anything at all. It just started hurting more and more until it was just as excrutiating as when I first broke it years earlier. I have no idea how it happened. This was about 5 years ago and it still hurts a little sometimes if I sit on it wrong for too long.

It SOUNDS like you may have broken your tailbone, and there is not much you can do about it except to let it slowly mend. You might have to sit on a pillow or get one of those inflatable "donuts" to sit on. It can be very painful! Sorry!

My Mom broke her tailbone falling down the basement stairs. I was at the top and saw it all. They can't put it in a cast or anything, so it just has to heal.

I'm so sorry, OP. I pray you heal quickly.

• 8 months later...
Guest LuSanDiego

I am having exactly the same issues!!! Started last night and today is really painful! I was wonder if you ever found out what was wrong with you???

Please let me know!!! Thanks

Possibly a pilonidal cyst - an abscess can form at the base of the tailbone. These can be pretty nasty. I hope that's not what you have, but if you're not better in a couple of days you should have a doctor check it out. :grouphug:

This is what I thought of. I had one when I was 19 years old. The doctor drained it several times (like a giant horrifyingly painful zit), but I had to have surgery to have it removed. 

I broke mine over 20 years ago while simply 'rocking' backward on a balance beam to make a "V" with arms & legs! 

I find, even all these years later, that if I so much as SIT normally for an extended period of time (even if it's just propped up in bed), I will pay the price for days. Thankfully, this only happens once of twice a year, as I am generally good at 'fidgeting' while I sit! :tongue_smilie:

It may be worthwhile to have it checked out. At the very least, your doctor can prescribe something stronger for pain that OTC meds. 

:grouphug:  Those little, useless bones can cause so much pain!

• 8 years later...