Which Singapore Supplements?  

1. 1. Which Singapore Supplements?

• 4A/B Intensive Practice with 5A/5B Challenging Word Problems
    • 5A/B Intensive Practice with 4A/B Challenging Word Problems
    • 5A/B Intensive Practice and 5A/B Challenging Word Problems
    • 5A/B Challenging Word Problems only
    • 5A/B Intensive Practice Only
    • Something else (explain please)

I'm trying to choose the correct Singapore supplement for my dd this coming school year. She will be doing level 5A/B. In the past we've supplemented with Miquon (which was great) and Horizons (which was not great). Her math comprehension is high, but her computational skills are pretty average. Most of the Singapore word problems in the workbook are easy for her.

I've seen lots of suggestions to use a year behind for the Challenging Word Problems, but given dd's skill in that area, would it make more sense to use the same level CWP? What about Intensive Practice? I was thinking about using a level behind for that (4A/4B). Would that be too confusing or too simple?

We also have Life of Fred: Fractions which dd does for fun on her own schedule.

If I'm correct in understanding she'll be doing the 5A/5B workbooks and she's never done a CWP book before, I vote: 5A/5B IP and Level 4 CWP. The Challenging word problems in the CWP are a step above even the word problems in IP. If CWP a year behind proves easy, just do the worked examples and Challenging sections and then move up to Level 5.

Just curious.... what didn't you like about Horizons?

I pulled in Horizons when dd seemed to need a break from Singapore. We used a level above Singapore, but Horizons still had too much repetition for her. It looks colorful and fun, but the puzzles are so easy, she could figure out the answers without doing the problems.

That's just our experience, I know many people love Horizons.

If I'm correct in understanding she'll be doing the 5A/5B workbooks and she's never done a CWP book before, I vote: 5A/5B IP and Level 4 CWP. The Challenging word problems in the CWP are a step above even the word problems in IP. If CWP a year behind proves easy, just do the worked examples and Challenging sections and then move up to Level 5.

You're understanding is correct. My dd doesn't particularly like to be challenged, so perhaps your idea is best. Thanks.

I have found that the CWP books are quite a bit harder. Also, her skills will improve and get faster if she isn't using one that is too hard.

I think that both Challenging Word and Intensive Practice are very helpful supplements, and we use both. We use them at the same grade level (meaning, we use CW 5 and IP 5A/B along with text/workbook 5A/B), but I think that what others are saying about starting with level 4 and seeing how it goes is a good idea. These books are relatively inexpensive, so if 4 is a breeze for her you can just move into 5. I do agree that both CW and IP are significantly harder than the workbooks (and take Singapore to an entirely different level than the workbooks alone).

Of course, the chapters in 4 will not entirely match up with the things being studied in 5 - but that could be a nice review too.

We also use the exams. They are similar to CW and IP in difficulty. One nice thing about using them is that your student gets practice in formal test taking (learning strategies for not panicking, checking work, coming back to hard problems, etc, etc).

Best wishes,

Lydia

I like to do IP after completing the workbook(s), either a semester or a year at a time. That way, not only are you deepening the knowledge, it also serves as a review of the basic concepts b/c it has been a few months since learning them in the first place.

So, I'd suggest doing 5A&B IP after either each semester or the entire year of TB/WB combo.

I haven't used CWP yet (I do have some on the shelf, does that count?) but since WP are so easy for your dd, it seems to me that it could make since to go ahead and do the the same level (5) sprinkled throughout the year. Alternately, they could serve as a good review at year end as well, since the format itself is easy for your dd.

FWIW, I don't think any supplementation is essential, but if your child is finding the work easy and/or you want to slow it down, the supplements are a great resource for deepening knowledge.

Would it make any sense to get level 4 of both the IP and CWP and use them as a review before we move into the 5A workbook? We haven't done as much math as I had hoped this summer, but at the same time, I remember hating the repeat of material that we always got in the fall at public school.

I like to do IP after completing the workbook(s), either a semester or a year at a time. That way, not only are you deepening the knowledge, it also serves as a review of the basic concepts b/c it has been a few months since learning them in the first place.

We must have posted at the same time. Perhaps I'll just get both level 4 and 5 in each. I hate to spend more money than I need to, but I can always resell them.