Menu

I thought RSO Biology 2 was supposed to be released today. Guess not.

nukeswife

I've been anxiously awaiting this day, I swore I got an email a few months ago from pandia press about RSO Biology level 2 finally being released in Feb. I also remembering seeing that it would be on Valentines day.

Well I went to check the website and NOTHING.

We really like RSO, but I have to say all this waiting and not having any updates is very frustrating.

$132!!!! Umm....it gives no idea what you get with it on Amazon. Better be more than a book!

I kind of thought the same thing. That seems like a lot. I'd at least expect that to be the Student and TM set (books/workbooks whatever was needed for the TM and Student to do the program minus any experiment supplies)

I hope this is one of those Amazon things. I have been finding things on Amazon lately at insanely high prices. Look for the same thing somewhere else online and it's a normal price.

I would just wait until it's available at Rainbow Resource or something. I can't even imagine two books costing that much. It's a big jump from what their stuff is usually.

Pandia Press removed the Biology 2 release date of "February 14th" from their website and replaced it with the more ambiguous "February 2013". Also after reviewing the Facebook page, in response to a customer's question regarding an outline of units for Bio 2, Pandia press responded that they should have samples up on their website next week. So, I doubt the actual product will be ready until the the last week of February at the very earliest. I am excited though that it Bio 2 really seems like it is going to be released. It has been in publishing limbo in so long I had given up on it.

I'm very anxious for it too. I don't want the print version. I prefer PDF ebooks. I don't actually need it until fall, but I don't like all this waiting. Like you mentioned it seems like things have been in limbo forever. The one hope I have it that the author of BIO2, who also authored Chem 1, is supposed to be doing E&S 2 and Chem 2 and she said on the yahoo group that since the format is now figured out those should take less time to come to print. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on that.

RSO Physics is supposed to come out this summer, in time for use this fall. I'm hoping so because it's my plan for science for next year!

Where did you hear that. The only thing I've ever seen them mention was "it's in the works" I also don't put much stock in their release timeframes. They've always managed to be late on them.

Where did you hear that. The only thing I've ever seen them mention was "it's in the works" I also don't put much stock in their release timeframes. They've always managed to be late on them.

Question1 in FAQ

http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=25#Question1

Wait, I guess it doesn't say summer, just that release date will be announced when they are within 3 months.

for that price it had better be a kit with supplies.

Pandia Press doesn't fill me with confidence about much of anything. I would feel better if they communicated better. I do appreciate how PHP (and other publishers) at least lets customers know why something happens or how it happens etc. But, Pandia Press has the communication skills of the Kremlin.

Totally feeling sticker shock over the new Level 2 Biology.... It was confirmed by Pandia that the SRP for the student book is $132 and the teacher guide $42. The reason I was given for the price difference was 1) the printing cost for the much more lengthy than typical book and 2) the 5 years it took to create it.

:glare:

Christianbook.com shows an estimated release date of March 18th.

I have loved RSO and so have my kids, but I don't know if I can justify the cost...especially considering the additional cost of lab supplies on top of it all!

Ugh.

Whoa Nelly! That sounds completely off the charts for RSO! That is only $5 less than if you bought the whole shebang for CPO Life BRAND NEW from the publisher, for Pete's Sake! And I can't even begin to imagine that RSO is comparable in scope or quality! I fear they are going to price themselves out of business...

Direct from the email to me:

Actually the suggested retail price is $132 for the student book, and $42 for the Teacher Guide. CBD must be offering a discount. No apologies here, though. The student guide is a textbook and workbook together in one and it's over 750 pages (so no need to buy a separate workbook). It's a whopper of a course and more than twice as big as any other RSO course so far. That price was determined by how much it costs to print as well as the 5 years of work it took to create it.

The Teacher Guide is about 250 pages.

I appreciate your concern, though, and one hear sometimes. Look for a mini-dissertation (soapbox time) from me regarding the price of textbooks and "sticker shock" soon on the FAQ page of the Pandia Website.

Direct from the email to me:

Actually the suggested retail price is $132 for the student book, and $42 for the Teacher Guide. CBD must be offering a discount. No apologies here, though. The student guide is a textbook and workbook together in one and it's over 750 pages (so no need to buy a separate workbook). It's a whopper of a course and more than twice as big as any other RSO course so far. That price was determined by how much it costs to print as well as the 5 years of work it took to create it.

The Teacher Guide is about 250 pages.

I appreciate your concern, though, and one hear sometimes. Look for a mini-dissertation (soapbox time) from me regarding the price of textbooks and "sticker shock" soon on the FAQ page of the Pandia Website.

OMG. Where is the eye rolling emoticon? I've got a soap box of my own, as someone who patiently (aka idiotically) waited for RSO Physics level 1 to be released as "promised" until I went gray...

Whatever though. I gave up on them. I bought CPO Life and Earth, full sets, used for less than RSO.

Wow! I wonder if the ebook will be a lot cheaper ~ no need to include the "cost to print" in that. I may have to rethink our plans for next year :(

I was told that the ebook would be about half the price.... I think it's time for our family to move on and find something new. *Just* when I had everything laid out for next year lol

OMG. Where is the eye rolling emoticon? I've got a soap box of my own, as someone who patiently (aka idiotically) waited for RSO Physics level 1 to be released as "promised" until I went gray...

Whatever though. I gave up on them. I bought CPO Life and Earth, full sets, used for less than RSO.

Where did you find them used? I looked at CPO but it is expensive on their website.

Wow! I wonder if the ebook will be a lot cheaper ~ no need to include the "cost to print" in that. I may have to rethink our plans for next year :(

Me too. :(

They just posted to my FB questions and the ebook will be $68 for the student text/workbook and $35 for the TE. The did say that a microscope would be needed if you want to do that part of the labs. I'm a little more comfortable with the price of the ebooks. They also said the ebooks should be up on their website next week and that in March all ebooks are 30% off. So I think I'll wait until march and then see how the samples look. My kids really like RSO, especially my dd, she loved the Chem 1 which was written by the same author.

Someone should send a memo to all authors that delaying their books means they can charge more for them. The longer it takes you to write it, the more it's worth...

That part is a little hokey sounding. I know the lady that wrote it put in a lot of time to test things out as she wrote. She kept us somewhat updated on the writing of it through the yahoo group.

So I'm wondering if that part of the explanation is their way of justifying paying quite a bit for it to be written, not that I think it's right, but I'm not sure how much printing costs for a smaller company like theirs, maybe it's a lot more than I think.

I haven't been following this curriculum at all; I was just reading along and thought it was funny. :o

It really is kind of funny. They have people that have been waiting and hoping for years that the new level or the next book would come out, and now they may have made it totally cost prohibitive for those people to buy what they've been waiting so long for.

Where did you find them used? I looked at CPO but it is expensive on their website.. :(

CPO text books are here online:

http://www.spokaneschools.org/Page/5079

or here:

http://alms.hermiston.k12.or.us/science-text-books

The student record sheets (the experiments) are available at the CPO site free to download

http://www.cposcience.com/home/Home/tabid/119/Default.aspx

I found the teacher books online at Amazon for 25-30$.

You can get materials for experiments at Home science tools. The only one difficult to do at home is CPO Physical Science. It calls for lots of specialized materials. However, I am sure you can manage quite a lot at home and add in some TOPS science and snap circuits and still have a great year of physical science.

Where did you find them used? I looked at CPO but it is expensive on their website.

I bought one set on the classifieds board here and the other from Amazon. Both are in fantastic condition, and when I finish with them, I can likely sell them for what I paid and break even. That (and the fact that I don't like reading screens) keeps me from purchasing most e-books.

Thanks, I checked yesterday and they weren't there. Off to check it out.

ETA: The ebooks are also available to purchase, but on their FB page they said all ebooks will be on sale (I believe 30% off) in March.

I'm not sure why but this "Try before you buy" sample is a little weird. They don't give you the first lessons, they jump right to chapter 4. I find that a little weird. If it was a basic sample I'd get it, but how do you Try a program before you buy it if that sample doesn't start at the beginning. I don't want to try a program and find out it works, but then have to back track. From what I remember none of the other "try before you buy" samples work that way.