Menu

A friend of mine seems to be missing.

I am hoping she is on a spontaneous vacation, but it is hard not to let myself worry because so many of my friends have been in crisis situations lately. It is completely unlike this friend to not return calls. We usually talk several times a week and see each other once or twice weekly. I saw her two weeks ago at church. She was supposed to call to discuss details about watching my children this past Wednesday. She didn't call, andwhen I called her she never called back. A few days ago I called her cell phone too. I sent her a text message. I haven't heard anything. It's seems especially odd because one of my foster babies with whom she is very close is leaving this week. I know she would want to say goodbye.

So I am hoping she is on vacation somewhere having a delightful time. I can't think of anything I could have done to offend her, so I don't think she is intentionally not calling. With all the tragedies many of my other friends have been facing, I am trying not to let my imagination come up with other scenarios. I hope she call soon. in the meantime, plese help reassure me that she is probably on a spontaneous vacation.

Her husband travels all the time. Her family is all out of state. I called again, but there was no answer. I suppose I could try reaching her husband at work, but I don't know him well. I have only talked to him a time or two. If I don't hear from her soon, I just might try that though. I could find his work number online. I don't like how much this is bothering me.

Oh my. I'd be a bit worried, too. Can you go over to her house?

Last week, with hubby OOT, his distant cousin called and timidly asked if he'd done anything to offend hubby. Hubby had never not called him right back. I could tell he was really worried to call me (he's the kind of old fashioned guy who thinks men talk to men, and it would be presumptive of him to talk to another man's wife). Then I remembered his teenage son committed suicide some years back. I think I'd have PTSD about unreturned calls, too.

I have not heard from her. I want to try and go by her house, but there is a gate around it that is only unlocked when you buzz from inside. I don't know that neighbors would notice if they are there or not because of all the privacy stuff. You certainly can't tell if cars are parked there or not. The buzzer rings the phone which isn't being answered, so ringing the bell wouldn't do much good. I can't find a direct line to her husband on-line. I would have to go through agents and assistants to reach him, and I am not sure that would work well. I sent a second text message now that we know the date the baby is leaving. hopefully I will hear back from her.

I talked to a friend last night whose husband is a police officer. He said the Chicago police have so many other things that this would not even get attention. I will keep trying to reach her husband. Hopefully she is visiting family out of own. Maybe she lost her cell phone or something? I don't know. I am trying to think of explanations that ease my worry.

Cathy, call the police, they will atleast be able to inspect the house, I had a similar situation that a friend told me about, I told her she should call the police but she was afraid so I called...they went out immediately and she was at the house but something was up with her husband, she wouldn't talk to the police but atleast my friend found her....there could be an easy explanation like she had a family emergency and had to go out of town and her cell phone is not charged...but atleast check...can you see in their mailbox to see if mail is piling up? Do you know where she gets her hair done? Or if she takes an exercise class? Just go and ask folks that might also be missing her, atleast then you'll feel better and might know more.

Tara

Cathy, please call the police anyway. You never know, they might surprise you and check on your friend.

If I were as worried as you seem to be, that's what I would do. Listen to your gut feelings.

RC

I talked to a friend last night whose husband is a police officer. He said the Chicago police have so many other things that this would not even get attention. I will keep trying to reach her husband. Hopefully she is visiting family out of own. Maybe she lost her cell phone or something? I don't know. I am trying to think of explanations that ease my worry.

since you attend the same church, have you asked around there to see if anyone has heard from her?

I'd go ahead and go by the house and ring the buzzer thingy. Someone not answering their phone is completely different from someone not answering their door. At least you'd know they are home ornot, kwim?

Are you concerned the husband is not neccessarily the caring type or something? Otherwise, I'd try to get a hold of him. At the least you could leave a message with his secretary letting him know you are concerned and to have his wife call you?

If none of that nets a response from someone you know, know well, and have known a long time, I'd call the police and say I was very concerned. They can do a simply check and find out things like if she's bought a plane ticket or used her credit cards. They may not be able to tell YOU where she is or whatever, but they coudl tell you if they beleive she's okay or not.

I agree. It's a bit weird. Listen to your gut. Worst case scenario if you shouldn't be concerned is you feel like an idiot and laugh about it later. Personally, I've felt stupid over less.

I have not heard from her. I want to try and go by her house, but there is a gate around it that is only unlocked when you buzz from inside. I don't know that neighbors would notice if they are there or not because of all the privacy stuff. You certainly can't tell if cars are parked there or not. The buzzer rings the phone which isn't being answered, so ringing the bell wouldn't do much good. I can't find a direct line to her husband on-line. I would have to go through agents and assistants to reach him, and I am not sure that would work well. I sent a second text message now that we know the date the baby is leaving. hopefully I will hear back from her.

Cathy, I would try to reach the husband through the agents/assistants first. Perhaps there was a family emergency or a surprise family vacation and they (the assistants) might know about it. Or, they will put your through to him and he can tell you what is going on.

:grouphug: