Menu

Need Spaghetti Sauce recipe using fresh tomatoes..

Not spaghetti sauce but we went to Panera Bread for lunch and I had a tomato mozzarella salad. Yum! And healthy!

Here's the recipe, I can't believe it is online but it's so simple.

http://www.recipezaar.com/176451

It'll use up 5-6 tomatoes and if you make one for each boy, that'll be 18 tomatoes! Lol. Mine did have chicken added, which I recommend, just plain cooked chicken. The key ingredient to make it fabulous is using focaccia bread.

No recipe - but send them to my house and I'll figure one out for you!!!

Okay - tomatoes are supposed to be easy to grow - right? Ack! I've had more problems this year with rabbits and squirrels and I'm FRUSTRATED!!!

Good luck! I'd just cook them up with garlic, basil, and oregano and call it good! Yummy! (Oh - and I'd add some cream at the end.) Good luck!

I use to fry up some onion and garlic. Add some cut up tomatoes and half a bottle of clam juice (it is cheap and I would try to freeze the rest until another day). Boil it down a little and season with salt and pepper to taste. It is very easy and delicious over noodles.

I just love summer tomatoes. :001_smile:

Last year I did the whole "blanche, peel, seed, chop, stew, freeze" for my tomatoes. It took my literally all day and my hands were shriveled and sore at the end of it. The results were bland and watery. Hmm. had to be a better way!

This year I've taken to processing my tomatoes another way and it's soooooooo easy!

First I trim the stem end if it's particularly tough. (The roma type I planted this year are very small and tender so I can mostly skip this part.)

Toss the entire tomato into a blender or food processor and puree until as smooth as you can get it. Toss in any herbs and seasonings as you like. Simmer gently for a few hours to evaporate some of the liquid.

This process works with frozen tomatoes as well. Just rinse, destem if necessary, and freeze the tomatoes for processing later. Or complete through the 'crushing' and reducing steps, then freeze.

Now you've got a fantastic base for making spaghetti sauce, just saute your usual onions/garlic/peppers, etc and add the reduced tomatoes. It's fantastic and not as 'pasty' as store bought tinned tomatoes.

HTH

Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce

2-1/2 lbs Romas, halved, lengthwise (I used 3 # regular tomatoes)

1 onion, thinly sliced

4 thyme or marjoram springs

2 to 3 TBS olive oil

salt and freshly milled pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Put the tomatoes in a single layer in a baking pan with the onion and thyme, dirzzle the oil over all and season with salt and peppr. Bake until they're soft, shriveled, and falling apart, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the thyme branches and puree or pass through a food mill. Taste for salt and season with pepper.

NOTE: We didn't have fresh thyme or marjoram, so I just used dried. It still really good, but would have been better with the fresh herbs.

You can use it by itself or use it in the recipe below:

Linguine w/ Tomato Sauce

2 garlic cloves

1/3 cup olive oil

2 cups tomato sauce

2 TBS chopped basil

2 TBS chopped parsley

salt and freshly milled pepper

12 oz linguini or spaghetti

Red pepper flakes

Start heating a large pot of water for the pasta. Meanwhile, whack the garlic with the flat side of a knife and remove the skins. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook gently until the cloves are golden. Remove them and discard. Add the tomato sauce and herbs and simmer gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Season with a few pinches salt. If the sauce loks a little dry, add a ladle of the pasta water. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente, drain, and put it in a serving bowl. Add the sauce and toss well. Season with pepper to taste and pass the red pepper flakes at the table.

------------------------------------------------------------

I also will put some olive oil, freshly pressed garlic, & chopped fresh basil in a bowl. I let that marinate for awhile & then add some torn up mozzarella & chopped tomatoes. Then I put the "sauce" over hot cooked pasta & sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Mmmmmmm.

Guest kacifl

I can make the best spagetti sauce in the world, but dh will only eat R*gu! However, when I heat the sauce, I seperate it into two pans and squish several tomatoes into the kids' and my sauce. YUMMY! It taste so good. Sometimes I'll splash a little extra wine too. K