Menu

teaching reading and spelling

mo2

Do you teach reading, and THEN worry about spelling, or do you teach reading and spelling simultaneously? If you do it at the same time, do you use 2 programs or one? We're working our way through The Reading Lesson, and I'm debating on whether or not to start All About Spelling now or wait and see if she even needs a spelling program later on. What do you all do?

Thanks.

I had always heard to teach phonics first then start to teach spelling after that is done. That is of course unless you use something like Spell to Write and Read. If you aren't using SWR, then I'd wait for spelling until after phonics or at least until after the child is reading short chapter books fluently.

For me, I have tried a few spelling programs with my dd7 and decided to just work on spelling with our copywork and dictation.

I used The Reading Lesson with my daughter to teach her to read. We finished it a few months ago, and she is reading independantly very well now. We are starting Spell to Write and Read now to fill in missing phonics information and to teach spelling.

My daughter was ready to learn to read far before her handwriting was ready for spelling, and I personally didn't want to use letter tiles. The Reading Lesson was a perfect fit for us.

The main reason that I decided to start spelling now is because she is choosing to write more on her own, and I don't want to go through the invented spelling stage.

If she had shown no interest in writing, or didn't read well, I probably wouldn't be doing spelling at this stage.