Menu

Homeschool High School Chemistry

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone tell me if this is "regular" chemistry or "honors" chemistry? I have a 6th grader and I don't yet understand the differences. I am just intrigued by the schedule for this with the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments

Introductory Chemistry (5th ed) by Stephen Zumdahl 

I've not got that text here at home but, based on the TOC, I'd say it could be an honors text.  I think Zumdahl's "World of Chemistry" is his Reg Chem text.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Adding one more chemistry course to the list!

Name: Honors Chemistry
Provider: Blue Tent Online
Where to buy: https://www.bluetentonline.com/honors-chemistry
Level: Honors
Type: Online provider; asynchronous format using Moodle LMS
Additional Materials: course resources
Teacher Resources: N/A
Lesson Plans: N/A
Secular/Christian: Secular
Program includes labs: yes: hands-on and virtual
Lab kit available: Yes
Math background needed: Algebra 1

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi Dicentra,

I found a great book (Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks) that I'd highly recommend as a living book resource for chemistry. I'm not sure where it would fit -- maybe in the "other resources" -- but I do think there's a lot of good chemistry in it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kiana said:

Hi Dicentra,

I found a great book (Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks) that I'd highly recommend as a living book resource for chemistry. I'm not sure where it would fit -- maybe in the "other resources" -- but I do think there's a lot of good chemistry in it. 

Thanks, kiana!  That's on my "to read" list but I haven't gotten to it yet.  Soon, hopefully! 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Would someone add this to the list of chemistry courses at the beginning of the thread? 

Name: Discovering Design with Chemistry 
Provider: Berean Builders
Where to buy: https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product-category/senior-high/discovering-design-with-chemistry/
Level: Reg Chem 
Type: Textbook
Additional Materials: lab kit, audio book, link in book to helpful videos and extra practice problems for each chapter
Teacher Resources: answer key, tests and solutions
Lesson Plans: included
Secular/Christian: Christian
Program includes labs: yes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Would someone add this to the list of chemistry courses at the beginning of the thread? 

Name: Discovering Design with Chemistry 
Provider: Berean Builders
Where to buy: https://bereanbuilders.com/ecomm/product-category/senior-high/discovering-design-with-chemistry/
Level: Reg Chem 
Type: Textbook
Additional Materials: lab kit, audio book, link in book to helpful videos and extra practice problems for each chapter
Teacher Resources: answer key, tests and solutions
Lesson Plans: included
Secular/Christian: Christian
Program includes labs: yes 

Done. 🙂

I really do need to update and clean up these lists.  Sigh - I need more hours in a day!! 😉 😄

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Dicentra, your compilation of chemistry curriculum and resources is AWESOME!  And so are you for putting all this together for the rest of us!!  
I'm looking for a very easy high school chemistry course.  The easiest, the least time consuming.  I want my daughter to at least have concepts and a few experiments.  She's had math through Algebra 2.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Haelend4 said:

Dicentra, your compilation of chemistry curriculum and resources is AWESOME!  And so are you for putting all this together for the rest of us!!  
I'm looking for a very easy high school chemistry course.  The easiest, the least time consuming.  I want my daughter to at least have concepts and a few experiments.  She's had math through Algebra 2.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

You're welcome. 🙂

I think there are a few courses/curricula listed at the very beginning of the Regular Chemistry post that are very basic - Chemistry Power Basics, Friendly Chemistry, Fascinating Chemistry.  There is also the Conceptual Chemistry textbook by John Suchocki.

As a chem teacher/instructor, there is a certain amount of content and a certain level of mathematical content that I would want to see in a chemistry course before I'd be comfortable labeling as high school chemistry (assuming we're talking about a neurotypical high school student and not a special needs student) but I know that there are varying thoughts on that amongst homeschoolers. 🙂

Hope that helps!

Edited by Dicentra

• 10 months later...

Please add this chemistry course to the list!

Name: Honors Chemistry With Lab
Provider: HS College-Bound — Instructor: Diane Speed
Where to buy: https://hscollegebound.com/Online-Courses-Honors-Chemistry-With-Lab.htm
Level: Honors
Type: Online provider; NOT asynchronous, but live & interactive in real time, in three classes per week. Students routinely interact with the instructor, ask questions about the content, and discuss with one another.
Additional Materials: Lots, but teacher distributes as the class progresses. (See lab materials below, under Lab kit available.)
Teacher Resources: N/A
Lesson Plans: N/A
Secular/Christian: Secular
Program includes labs: Yes—hands-on & virtual.
Lab kit available: Yes. Lab materials are shipped to each student at the beginning of the year. Cost of materials is included in the course fee.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...