Menu

Literature and free reading i need help

Hi. I have a super picky 9th grader. She is a real pain when it comes to reading, even free reading she is super picky on what she picks. For free reading we have had a hard time finding clean books. We went to the book store again this weekend and had to keep putting books down because there was inapproriate content in them. Is there a website or something where u can punch in s books name and find out its content on appropritness??? Or any recommendations? Then for literature... She just hates it! We are only required to do two literature books a year in high school .... Any recommendations on how to accomplish this or where to start?? Thanks so much everyone.

First, I'm curious to know who it is that requires books for you? Your state law? Some kind of cover school? If so, then I'd start figuring out where she wants to go after high school and what that requires.

I'd say in regards to lit, it's too bad if she hates it. You will design a program to help her meet her overall goals. If she doesn't like that, too bad. Certainly you'll use your home school advantages, but some literature into every life must come.

The literature lists in the WTM would be a place to start. For content you can read a synopsis at someplace like gradesaver.com. I will also echo Candid, who is only requiring two books? My son is not a lover of reading and *I'm* requiring more than that. There really are so many good books out there to study, even if you screen for content, two a year will only be skimming the surface of the surface.

My dd15 is not a huge reader either. Currently we are reading To Kill a Mockingbird aloud. She is enjoying it ALOT and I'm enjoying the one-on-one time with her.

Can you give us some ideas of the kind of books that she has rejected, so we can suggest some others maybe? Or is there a genre she prefers/hates? Anything that she HAS enjoyed?

Also if you haven't listened to the lecture about literature from SWB, it would be a worthwhile listen. She talks about creating a balance in the reading and analysis. Not every book read has to be analyzed. It has helped me find a balance between enjoying books and killing any interest in reading.

I think this is the right one.