Menu

SOTW & reading books 1st grade

nertsmommy

I will be starting SOTW Ancients in the fall with my 1st grade and K children. We have a very small library (think small house converted to library) in our town. I'm having a hard time finding books to go along with what we will be studying (at their level) so I will be buying some. I'm looking for some suggestions on which books to buy. In other words, what are some good books for my kids age level that would go well with SOTW Ancients and would make a good addition to our library? Thanks.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm typing with a horrible headache and three kids running around. :001_smile:

Our library is large but stinks book wise, imo. I picked through what books they had for a while and then just stopped. We read the story, do the coloring and mapwork. If it is an interesting topic I will use the internet to find interesting pictures and facts, netflix to find an interesting documentary, etc. Or we look in an encyclopedia. If I don't add anything to the SOTW spine, so be it. To me history at this age is just an introduction and should be fun.

I'm doing SOTW w/ my first grader now, and I find it as much as I can do to finish the history, coloring, mapwork, review questions/narrations, and maybe 1 hands-on project a week. That to say, I doubt you'd want much more than 1 extra book a week, just my thoughts for this age. I would look at Tapestry of Grace's Lower Grammar book lists for good ideas for those books.

I have a whole list of book that I will read to ds when we start our history cycle over. I only chose books that his sisters really enjoyed when they did Ancients.

For Read-Alouds:

The Shipwrecked Sailor

The Boy of The Pyramids

A Grain of Rice

Tutankhamen’s Gift

Usborne Greek Myth or D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

Aesop’s Fables

To go along with history:

Usborne Book of World History

Archaeologists Dig for Clues

The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible

Seeker of Knowledge

Ancient Egypt (Treasure Chest) or Hieroglyphics (Treasure Chests)- (These are not books, they are hand on kits)

Mummies Made in Egypt

The Trojan Horse

Tut’s Mummy: Lost and Found

You Wouldn’t Want to Be a Greek Athlete

Alexander The Great by Demi

The Great Wall of China

Cleopatra

You Wouldn’t Want to be a Roman Gladiator

Pompeii: Buried Alive

I'm doing SOTW w/ my first grader now, and I find it as much as I can do to finish the history, coloring, mapwork, review questions/narrations, and maybe 1 hands-on project a week. That to say, I doubt you'd want much more than 1 extra book a week, just my thoughts for this age. I would look at Tapestry of Grace's Lower Grammar book lists for good ideas for those books.

that is what I plan on doing. Thank you for your post because now I do not feel bad for not planning more :)

If you get the Activity Guide there are lots of books that go along with them. Also Biblioplan has a book list

My library has about half of these. Also, we use Classical House of Learning for Literature, which is basically literature lessons (notebook pages and book lists, review questions, vocab lists) to go with each chapter of SotW. I've liked 90% of the books recommended there. I think she might have Amazon lists...

My kids have really enjoyed the fantasy type stories that go with the times and people of the chapters (but are made up stories, not regular history books). There are lots listed in the SOTW AG, and if you even just go to a few of them on amazon, you get ideas for others too.