Menu

Reading: Improving speed and stamina

DS reads well, but his stamina seems to be lagging behind what I would expect, and he is slow.

I have been having him read out loud to me everyday, and I am not seeing any red flags with that, his recall of facts and overall comprehension also seem to be fine.

Do you all have any ideas for building not only speed but stamina? I know that just reading more helps, but I am not sure if there are specific exercises or theories or something I should be trying to help him.

Also, for a typical rising 6th grader, how much assigned reading do you give. He is reading Ender's Game right now and likes it and is retaining and able to discuss what he is reading, but it is slooooow going. I want to assign a historical fiction novel about the Civil War, but I don't know how much to assign each week/day.

Hi there! If you are concerned about his reading speed, google things regarding reading "fluency".... You can time and test his reading words per minute to see if he is where he should be for his targeted age range. There are tests to do for both reading silently and reading aloud. We used a program called REWARDs to help remediate both reading and fluency, but it is expensive and there are things that are cheaper to do just to test your dc before launching into any remediation programs.

Hope this helps!

Paula