Menu

Library organization program?

oliveview

Here is the one we use. We bought it as a Christmas gift to the family. It is awesome!!!

I can't say enough about it. We bought the scanner also. That was perfect. It aloud me to go down to the school room and scan all the books. Then I just plugged it into my laptop and it downloaded everything plus put a picture up of the book.

It even helped me sort some of the rare books I have.

http://www.collectorz.com/book/

It is worth every penny...um...and dollar....:lol:

For a free program try Library Thing.

I use Book Collector. Entry is automatic with an internet connection and an ISBN number. I didn't want the numbers limited by Library Thing (I think only 200 books free) or to make my library so public. Very easy to use with little learning curve. You can also purchase an additional program (discount available after purchase of BC) that allows you to carry your "library" on your PDA.

You can also make your own data base with MS Access or Excel or any similar program. I did this for years but I find Book Collector easier to use and entry faster.

So once you scan your books, does it make them easier to organize/find? I pretty much know what I have, but with so many books and bookshelves sometimes it's hard to locate a particular book. I'm trying to figure out a way to "group" my books by subject, but again--it's overwhelming because I have soooo many. Do you think these programs would help with that?

We didn't buy the scanner...yet. I am entering the books in by ICD-9 code, then putting them in a genre. I am going to go through the school books and add a "P-Touch" type label to them on the spine and place them on the self according to the genre. I am hoping that this will get some organization to our books. I am sick of looking for things that I know I have, and missing reading really great books at the right time!

They do have a free download but we went ahead and bought the $25 version. I have been working with it for just a few hours this afternoon and already have about 200 books entered and classified. I am going to now label them and get them on the shelf!!

So once you scan your books, does it make them easier to organize/find? I pretty much know what I have, but with so many books and bookshelves sometimes it's hard to locate a particular book. I'm trying to figure out a way to "group" my books by subject, but again--it's overwhelming because I have soooo many. Do you think these programs would help with that?

What we did.....was organize the books before we scanned them. My husband has just around 2000 books just in his office. I didn't count them in with the other books.

I was able to empty a shelf and sort of arrange them library style by genre.

I know that all the school books are in the school room. Separated it bu subject matter and grade.

When you do get the scanner you will love it!!!

The great thing about the scanner was the kids wanted to help. I'm glad you like it.

I looked up book collector and realized it was the same program....:lol:

One of the best features of this program is the lending library feature.

I have a friend that borrowed some and we checked her out on the computer.

This way you can track where you have loaned your books out and who has them.

I got tired of loosing books or never having them returned.:glare:

Hey-thousands might begin to describe our collection so...

Just start picking subject areas and physically sorting your books where you want them. We use history,other non fiction, fiction, cooking and homemaking as our basis and the kids books are grouped by school subject or fun reading (each child does have an area for their personal books ie gifts).

If you just need to track them by subject area Book collector will put in the Dewey and LCC numbers if they show up in the LOC database and you can choose or create any number of genres and subjects as needed.

I think they have a free trial offer.

It's software. It's been terrific for me! The kids LOVE keeping track of their own reading lists by creating a "collection" within the software. You can even separate their "collection" from our personal library so they can include library books in their reading list that we don't own.

For the books that I buy, I type in the ISBN number and it quickly searches the internet and fills in a bazzillion fields - including a picture. I just hit "Add to Library" and I'm done. It allows me to group my books into collections which works great for programs like TOG etc. I can even add the same book to multiple collections. VERY helpful for keeping track of curriculum programs. It even has a "Wish List" feature.... dangerous business!!!!!

And the kids use the Macbook with a built-in camera to enter their books. The camera scans the barcode so the lazy folk don't even have to type in allllllllllll of those barcode numbers. ;)

Money well, well spent! (It's cheaper than buying the same book twice.......:D)

Peace,

Janice in NJ

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I thought I would send in an update. I have had Book Collector for almost 24 hours now and things are going great!

At this point I am only trying to get school books in and organized. I decided that it was too much to tackle the whole house we have full of books to start!! Anyway, in my spare time I typed in the ISBN numbers, then sorted the books physically on the shelf by category, then went back and tagged them with those categories on the software. So far I am using the categories History 1 (for SOTW 1) and History 2, Poetry, Literature, Chapter Books, Readers, Spines, Textbooks, Science, Art, and maybe a couple of others I can't think of right now!:lol: So far I have about 300 books done.

The next step will be this evening to go in a place an abbreviation on the spine of the book with a "P-Touch" type label. That way the kids can get the books back in the right place. I am going to place a label on the outside of the bookshelf to coorespond to the label on the book.

This has been really easy and one of the best investments we have made in a while. Thank you everyone for your advice. When I finsh the school books then it will be time to get the rest of the books in the house!!

I have Delicious Library (mac only) and it is amazing!

I take a book or movie and scan it by holding in front of my eyesight camera (built in to my macBook) and it instantly displays the cover on a virtual bookshelf with other info. From here you can check out books to friends and its all kept track of in the ap.

There's a free trial for this to. :)