Menu

Sequential Spelling?

christall

I've used it for 2 of my 3 boys, the 3rd will start it in the fall. I really like it and find it has worked equally well for my natural speller and my HORRIBLE speller.

It is quick, easy and painless. Both my boys look forward to it each day.

I don't start book 1 until 3rd or 4th grade.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Cindy

we've been moving thru this text. it seems fine..I like the idea and the process of building onto smaller words to create the bigger words. He gets it and rarely misses any words. However, I wonder when it will all come together in his journaling and free writing. My son is a very phonetic speller, so when he's writing a sentence or something it just flows out the way it sounds. On top of that, he has some minor speech issues, so not only is he spelling things wrong, he's spelling them the way he says them...it's actually kind of interesting.

Overall, SS text has been good for us...I'm sticking with it. I think just practice, practice, practice and someday it'll all come together. I'm hoping anyway. :)

I've used it for 2 of my 3 boys, the 3rd will start it in the fall. I really like it and find it has worked equally well for my natural speller and my HORRIBLE speller.

It is quick, easy and painless. Both my boys look forward to it each day.

:iagree:

I also have a natural and horrible speller, and they both love it, and the horrible speller isn't horrible anymore.

I start it with them in 2nd grade - I actually took a year off in 3rd because the horrible speller improved so much I wasn't worried, and my then-1st grader wanted to be included so badly it was hard to get through it (she just wasn't ready, but if we tried to include her she'd get upset if we moved on to the next word before she'd written it out.. it was taking forever!)

So last year I added her in just where they were and did all 3 kids together. It also reinforces phonetic and decoding skills, I can use it to go off on tangents about grammar rules, it takes zero prep time on my part, you correct as you go so the kids always feel successful by the end of the lesson, they actually ask to do it - can't say enough good things about it!

I love it. It's the only spelling program I've found that actually works for Otter.

It's SO easy and takes very little time each day with real results. There is no busy work (crossword puzzles, etc.).

I never knew teaching spelling could be so "painless". :D

I wish I found it years ago.

We are using it and really enjoying it. I bought it to help dd10 who still struggles with spelling. We use it along with Calvert Spelling. I have found SS to work better than I had imagined. It is fun - even dd4 takes part from time to time with the two to four letter words. We are still in book 1, so I hesitate to recommend it yet - but so far, so good.