Menu

How early is too early ... VENT

jrn

How early is too early to blow snow out of your driveway?

I ask this because I was awakened this morning at 4:30am by the neighbor. :thumbdown:

I think I'll have to look up the noise ordinance in the city and mail it to him. If he does it again maybe send a flaming bag of dog poo :laugh:

Guest submarines

Depends - when does he need to get out to go to work?

ITA. It might be difficult to estimate how much time one would need to clear the driveway. Maybe he had an early shift or needed to pick up someone from the airport. What is one supposed to do when snowed in?

Well if your neighbor has to go to work early, does he have a choice? The noise is unfortunate, but maybe it just has to be that way... In our town, the snow plows are often out in the middle of the night get the roads ready for early morning driving. We hear them going all night long when there's lots of snow coming down.

I get were you are coming from but for me its the other way around. I get really mad when I'm trying to sleep during the day and everyone else is running lawn mowers and stuff LOL

I work E/R shifts 11am to 11pm and 3pm to 3am. My dh is one that has to leave for work at 5:00am every morning and right now he is working 7 days a week.

But we live in a snow free zone - I do get it was a pain being woke up to a snow blow LOL

Well if your neighbor has to go to work early, does he have a choice? The noise is unfortunate, but maybe it just has to be that way... In our town, the snow plows are often out in the middle of the night get the roads ready for early morning driving. We hear them going all night long when there's lots of snow coming down.

I agree. He might not have a choice. I imagine this is a fairly rare occurrence and not a daily thing. You might try sleeping with a sound machine. If you know a snow storm is coming, then you might consider ear plugs. There are tons of people who have jobs that are considered key and essential in all sorts of circumstances. I often do without my hubby during disasters.

eta: There is also always the choice of moving to the country and not having neighbors close enough to hear a snow blower.

My guess is that he wasn't doing that just to tick you off or to get his jollies.

This is why I pay for a snowplow service. Because the last time I shoveled my driveway, it took 2.5 hours. I have no desire to get up in time to clear the driveway before going about my busy day.

Even with all my sleep issues I wouldn't fault someone needing to clear snow. That is actually one reason we are moving to an area away from neighbors. Perhaps you could shell out the money to pay someone with a plow truck to get your neighbor out after each storm. That way he gets to work on time and you get to sleep.

I totally understand how annoying it is, but I don't think it worth getting the government involved. At the very worst, he is just being rude, but he has every right to operate his own machinery on his own land. Instead of making a phone call, I would simply ask him about it when you see him next. He may explain to you that he has no choice as he has to be at work, or he may be willing to work out a compromise. It is almost always better to address something one on one then to try to bring in an authority from outside. If you choose to do this, you will already put him on the defensive, and he will probably be much less willing to work with you.

Emily

I totally understand how annoying it is, but I don't think it worth getting the government involved. At the very worst, he is just being rude, but he has every right to operate his own machinery on his own land. Instead of making a phone call, I would simply ask him about it when you see him next. He may explain to you that he has no choice as he has to be at work, or he may be willing to work out a compromise. It is almost always better to address something one on one then to try to bring in an authority from outside. If you choose to do this, you will already put him on the defensive, and he will probably be much less willing to work with you.

Emily

I was out at 5am with the snow blower here this morning. It is very common for the snow plow trucks that do private driveways, etc. to start at 3:30 or 4am in order to get to everyone in time for them to leave for work.

We are more rural but we have been dumped on over and over this year with lake effect snow. My husband plowed last night and at 5 am I was out trying to snow blow another 8 inches of heavy wet snow out of the driveway. He had to leave for work and took the 4 wheel drive suburban.

Sorry they woke you up though. Depending on the amount of snow and how heavy/wet it is, it can take an hour or more to blow out a driveway.

How much snow did you have at that hour and did he have to leave the house?

do you not live in an area that regularly gets snow? We don't have any snowblowers in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't think twice if I heard my neighbors shoveling at 4:30. Scrape, scrape, scrape.... My dh was out there shoveling last week at 4am because he had to go the airport. He tried to be quiet, but the snow had to go.

In my neighborhood, the first person (or last) person often shovels some for the other folks on the block.

But I also don't like having my sleep disturbed and I am sorry that happened. I an go off on a righteous vent about the garbage truck, even though I know it is a good thing. But, really, shouldn't they fix the brakes? The thing SQUEALS every time the driver touches the brakes and he does it constantly while it idles in front of my bedroom! Again and again and again and again. It is worse than an alarm clock.

If he needs to go to work and it's enough snow to need a snowblower, he should go for it regardless of what time it is. Our village's snowplows make a lot of awful noise, but they run all night long and very early in the morning when the weather demands it. IMO it's just part of living in a snowy climate.

If you got mad at us for waking you up with a snowblower at 430 am, I wouldn't feel sorry for you. I would tell you that at least you didn't have to go anywhere that early...must be nice.

reasonable about WHAT? About not accepting a job that requires them to get up early?

I have a hard time imagining somebody is out at 4:30am removing snow frivolously just because he feels like it.

Amen. I assume this neighbor is someone you don't have much of a relationship with. I mean, you can't cut them a break for needing to get the snow off their driveway so they can get out. Like Regentrude said, it's hard to imagine they're out there at 4:30 AM just for the fun of it. I think you need to lighten up a little bit and think a little less about yourself and a little more about others.

Well I would not love it, but I can think of many reasons why he might not have had a choice but do it at that time.

Our noise rules are insanely lax here. Pretty much anything is allowed at any time so long as it isn't loud enough to cause physical pain. So we do get some yahoos who are loud. Road crews sometimes work at crazy times (like 3 am). Our neighbor's dog barks constantly all day and night. I not so secretly wish that dog would drop dead.

The barking dog. Would Drive. Me Nuts.

Wow. The responses here are surprising me. I guess I can do anything I want, as noisly as I want, when I want.

He could have been reasonable and cleaned off his drive at 7pm the evening before when all of the rest of the neighborhood was doing it. He was home. My dh leaves for work as early as he does, but we consider our neighbor needs before firing up the noisest piece of machinery and waking everyone up.

We do know him, he is the jerk of the neighborhood. I wouldn't put it past him to do it at that time because it irritates everyone.

My guess is that he wasn't doing that just to tick you off or to get his jollies.

This is why I pay for a snowplow service. Because the last time I shoveled my driveway, it took 2.5 hours. I have no desire to get up in time to clear the driveway before going about my busy day.

I pay for this too. My husband and I are not doing 2 hours in the middle of the night anymore.

Wow. The responses here are surprising me. I guess I can do anything I want, as noisly as I want, when I want.

He could have been reasonable and cleaned off his drive at 7pm the evening before when all of the rest of the neighborhood was doing it. He was home. My dh leaves for work as early as he does, but we consider our neighbor needs before firing up the noisest piece of machinery and waking everyone up.

We do know him, he is the jerk of the neighborhood. I wouldn't put it past him to do it at that time because it irritates everyone.

You did not give us enough information in your OP. You did not mention that it had stopped snowing the afternoon before - I, and many others probably too, assumed that it snowed overnight.

But I still have a hard time imagining he voluntarily got up at 4:30 just to annoy you. He might have been unable to do it in the evening.

:huh:

Wow. This isn't about snowblowers, folks!

jrn, have a little nap on the couch after lunch and see if you feel better later.

Another perspective. When I am awakened in the wee hours by the sound of a snowblower or snowplow, I take it as my friendly neighborhood bad weather alert. That way I know to give myself some extra time to shovel off my car. Or check the internet for school closings, roll over, and go back to sleep. ;)

It is annoying but I cannot see getting too upset about it. We get a lot of snow. Huge amounts. We are snowblowing at all hours. We have a retired neighbor who likes to get up early and snowblow even though he really could do it any time of day. But, I know complaining to the city will get me nowhere. The snowplows, front-end loaders, and dump trucks beep all night clearing the snow away and are much louder. Not to mention the sno-go which is a GIANT snowblower truck...... Welcome to winter. I suggest buying some earplugs.

He was home, and therefore clearly should have been doing what you wanted him to do, instead of other things he might need or want to do?

Maybe, like my husband, he has health issues that limit his ability to do these kinds of chores.

Maybe he had a rotten day at work yesterday and really wanted to relax for a while.

Maybe it was the anniversary of the death of a friend you didn't know he had, and it was all he could do to get through everything else that had to happen yesterday.

Maybe he looked at the weather forecast and decided it didn't make sense to clear his driveway last night if there was a reasonable likelihood more snow would fall before morning and he'd have to break out the snowblower a second time.

Maybe, since he knows your husband leaves for work at about the same time in the morning, it didn't occur to him that he'd be disturbing you by performing a perfectly normal and necessary chore.

And maybe he's a jerk and did it just to annoy you, but, last time I checked, that isn't illegal (or limited to people using snowblowers).

:huh:

It's nice for you that you didn't need to be out at 4:30 in the morning to move snow. I have never heard of anyone who goes out to move snow just for fun or just to annoy their sleeping neighbours.

If there is one thing you should never complain about -- it is someone clearing snow. :glare:

He was home, and therefore clearly should have been doing what you wanted him to do, instead of other things he might need or want to do?

Maybe, like my husband, he has health issues that limit his ability to do these kinds of chores.

Maybe he had a rotten day at work yesterday and really wanted to relax for a while.

Maybe it was the anniversary of the death of a friend you didn't know he had, and it was all he could do to get through everything else that had to happen yesterday.

Maybe he looked at the weather forecast and decided it didn't make sense to clear his driveway last night if there was a reasonable likelihood more snow would fall before morning and he'd have to break out the snowblower a second time.

Maybe, since he knows your husband leaves for work at about the same time in the morning, it didn't occur to him that he'd be disturbing you by performing a perfectly normal and necessary chore.

And maybe he's a jerk and did it just to annoy you, but, last time I checked, that isn't illegal (or limited to people using snowblowers).

I agree, Jenny said it much nicer than me though. I'll just leave it at that.

You would have received sympathy if he had been mowing his lawn or practicing his drums with his rock band or having a party or just about anything else in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning. Your slippery slope argument makes zero sense in this context.

Was it supposed to snow overnight? Maybe he thought it would be pointless to do it then.

Riiiiiiight. I am sure he rose to move snow at 4:30 am *just* to annoy you. That is definitely the most reasonable explanation.

I would be bothered by a barking dog, drums, loud music, a lawn mower, a noisy party, or, again, a #$@*# barking dog... but not a snow blower.

I'm guessing you and your neighbor aren't on the best terms.

That would definitely make the snow blower more annoying in the early, early morning.

I would have been annoyed, too, but I would have understood that the guy probably had to leave early for work or something.

I'll bet your general opinion of the guy is coloring your feelings about this, which I can understand. When you have a history with someone, it's easy to view the slightest issue as being a bigger deal than it is.

If a different neighbor (whom you liked) was doing the same thing, you probably wouldn't have been so angry about it.

But again, it's hard to be objective and charitable when someone has a history of intentionally doing things to annoy you.

This thread reminds me of a time when we took a ski trip to PA. We chose a slope-side room, thinking that would be such a pleasing view. It snowed 15" that weekend. The snow plows were working in the parking lot ALL.NIGHT.LONG. With those beep-beep-beep back-up indicators. That was such a severe mistake. :laugh:

Trying to imagine how people in our neighborhood would react to someone reporting them for noise disturbance for early morning workday shoveling. It wouldn't be pretty.

trying to imagine how the city workers would react to someone complaining about a neighbor using the snowblower after a storm. can you just hear the laughter?

we don't get snow often, but when we do . . . . we are on a very steep hill, and the only way out is up and over. there have been times 4wd with chains don't get out. I've watched them struggle before returning home.

we have had a couple neighbors who would attach plow blades to their mini-tractors and be out there working and almost everyone was thrilled and delighted. and very grateful. then one year someone absolutely complained (he wanted to ski on our hill. yeah, 'cause that's more important than people being able to leave their houses.) and this old gentleman (who lives at the top of the hill, and doesn't need to plow infront of his house to get out.) stopped. let's just say - that complaining neighbor didn't make any friends.