Menu

Minors and passports (U.S.)?

skimomma

I need some passport advice. 9yo dd's passport is about to expire. We will not be traveling out of the country again for at least another year. For adults, "renewal" is significantly less expensive than having to start from scratch. I assumed the same was true for minors and went online looking for directions to renew. The websites are awful, I have to say..... Anyway, it appears that there are no "renewals" for minors. They apply again as though it were the first time and the fee is the same. Is this really true or am I reading it incorrectly? And if it is true, financially it makes more sense for us to wait until closer to our next travel time rather than do it now and have paid for a passport that will not be used for a full year. Am I missing something?

… For adults, "renewal" is significantly less expensive than having to start from scratch. …

Did you check out the fee chart at the State Departmentsite?

It looks like to me that a new minor passport is only slightly more $$ ($95 + $25) than an adult renewal ($110), but the minor passport is only good for 5 years. BTE, a new adult passport is ($110 + $25).

I would wait as long as possible, so that when this passport expires, then maybe the next passport can be an adult passport .

Did you check out the fee chart at the State Departmentsite?

It looks like to me that a new minor passport is only slightly more $$ ($95 + $25) than an adult renewal ($110), but the minor passport is only good for 5 years. BTE, a new adult passport is ($110 + $25).

I would wait as long as possible, so that when this passport expires, then maybe the next passport can be an adult passport .

Yeah, this is what I found and was slightly confused and wanted to be sure I understood it. Unfortunately, dd will still be under 16 but if we time it just right, we might be able to get away with only ONE more "under 16" passport then be able to get the next one after that as an "over 16."

Ok. Good to know. Thanks!

Now does anyone have any idea how long processing is taking these days?

We have friends that just got theirs back in about 4 weeks. Though personally, I'd submit the application about 3 months prior to travel, just in case there were any holdups.

Good Luck and enjoy your next vacation!

I always like to have a passport so I can dream of spur-of-the-moment South Pacific vacations and not be hampered by the reality that I can't if I have to wait to apply for the passports... :)

But, with the kids I have been more lax and yeah, it doesn't really matter.

You will be happy to know that US passports are cheaper, easier to apply for, and last longer than Canadian ones. :) So even if you have to buy 2 child passports for your daughter, you have that solace.