Menu

kiddo means?

gardenmom5

"kiddo" means?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. what does "Kiddo" mean?

• a cutsey version of "kid"
    • a disabled child

bumping. she's now claiming "kiddo" for a disabled child (and only one person on the local autism group is remotely partially agreeing with her) is like saying "colored" in reference to an african american.

Did she explain that at all? Because it makes absolutely no sense, and now that logical failure is going to bug me all day.

And I'll throw in, late, with everybody who says there's nothing offensive about it. I don't even find it especially cutesy; it's more something a gruff grandpa would say in a rare moment of sentimentality. Sort of the outer edge of affectionate.

I'll also agree with those who find "kiddies" creepy. I recall reading a magazine article about a summer swimming camp; some venerable older swimming champion volunteered at the camp and said he liked "helping out with the kiddies." I felt just awful about finding that icky, as I had zero reason to think his intentions were anything other than honorable, but it still just read kind of skeevy. "Kiddos" would have changed the vibe entirely.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, our only child who we call "kiddo" is also disabled but I'm pretty sure the two have nothing to do with each other :)

How old was the child in question? We did have the issue of our diabled child seeming younger than he was for a couple of years because he couldn't walk. Dh was sensitive about this. Was this a teen who the mom was trying to move toward adulthood and felt worried that he/she was going to be patronized and condescended to his whole life? I could potentially see that. People are so nauseating towards our disabled child sometimes.

I refer to my children as 'Kiddos' all of the time. I think 'kids' sounds a little disrespectful. (i don't mind hearing it. I just don't like saying it.) At 11 and 15 for the youngest two, 'kiddies' doesn't work well, either. And, really, if you know my bunch, you will see that 'Children' is a little too refined. :crying:

So, when I'm referring to them en-mass, I use the collective kiddos.

214 votes with no dissenters here is a record. Seriously. I bet if you posted a poll entitled "cupcakes are delicious" you wouldn't get consensus.

So, what do people who don't use the phrase "kiddos" say? "Come on kiddos! Time to go!" rolls off the tongue a lot better than "Come on children!" I also feel like kiddo can be used with a slightly older child. Because, you aren't calling them a "child".

Really?!

Here's the definition according to Miriam Webster. I was interested to see the term has been around since 1905! Nothing negative at all. Feel free to send her the link. :)

It is in the 1905 dictionary, it was probably around for a number of years previous to that.

someone else already sent the link. It didn't seem to make any impression.

It seems it is a provider she's upset about. I tried to point out there are some boorish and ego-centric providers who patronize everyone and she may have gotten one that she mistakenly thinks is singling out her child. (child is apparently an older teen.) she's dug in for the duration. you'd think as the mother of a sn child she'd have bigger fish to fry.

Well thank goodness the poll was unanimously that kiddo is okay because I use it a good bit. It's much easier than accidentally calling your own children the wrong name because you're so absentminded. I had a weird panic moment looking at the poll question.

I *still* end up mistakenly calling my kids by their next older siblings name. even dudeling, who is 12yrs younger than his next sibling, gets called by 2ds's name. though, not quite as bad as calling 1ds by 2dd's name. :blushing: (though, I do jokingly refer to them as my "twins".)

I loved erma bombeck's column about her mother calling to come in for supper, and not coming. her mother asked when she'd come, and she replied - when you get my name right.

My dh and his siblings were all called by various of my mil's siblings names.

So, what do people who don't use the phrase "kiddos" say? "Come on kiddos! Time to go!" rolls off the tongue a lot better than "Come on children!" I also feel like kiddo can be used with a slightly older child. Because, you aren't calling them a "child".

I tend to call the younger ones "kiddos" but when I'm trying to wrangle my 8 and 18yos in the car I tend to go with "people" instead. As in, "Hey people! Get in the car!"

I'm tending away from that discussion list. she's dug in. people are challenging her on equating "kiddo" with "colored" (she's stating kiddo is discriminatory because it's used for disabled children. umm, no, it's used for any children.) she's even had a few indignant moms who use kiddo with their kids, and are also still called kiddo by their own parent/grandparent.

I really just wanted to know if anyone else had ever heard of it used to imply a child was disabled. I never had. that's why I did the poll.

Another vote of agreement here- my dad called my sisters and me kiddo growing up and none of use are SN. I don't use the term (it bugs me almost as much as the word "kidlet", which thankfully my dad never used) but I would not associate it with a special needs child.

I would be very tempted to give her a link to this poll or at least ask her to cite some sources to support her claim. If it's so widespread it shouldn't be hard to find numerous examples online. (Actually, if she googled it she may find this thread on her own.)

And surely this many unanimous votes must be some kind of TWTM record!

I came up with this on Wikipedia. The article has lots of flags at the top, but maybe this is where she got the idea from.

Kiddo, patronizing and excessively familiar term for a child, especially one with a disability.

Laura

Or perhaps the woman edited the Wikipedia article to put that in!

I've never seen a unanimous WTM poll before

This is like those people who insist that picnic is a synonym for lynching and there for insist that calling the office bbq "the offIce picnic" is racist. Um, no. Just no. Not at all.

:confused1: I guess I do need to get out more - I've never heard this.

And on the OP, I had to read the whole thread because I just posted something else using the word kiddo, and needed to make sure no one had actually discovered that it was a problem.... :p

:confused1: I guess I do need to get out more - I've never heard this.

I consider this one of the upsides of not working at an office anymore. No more dealing with crazy over sensitive co-workers. I am all for anti-racism action and awareness, I was raised in a mixed family who was targeted by skinhead wannabe KKK types after all. But I am not for making up stuff to get offended about. Apparently, some do like to do this.

Wow. This is one of the few times we all agree on something. :laugh:

I know, it's freaking me out a little bit.

I love the hive. 312 votes it's a variation of kids.

this woman is insisting it is *widely* used as a discriminatory label for disabled kids. it's still going on today.

Wow

This is like those people who insist that picnic is a synonym for lynching and there for insist that calling the office bbq "the offIce picnic" is racist. Um, no. Just no. Not at all.

Whoa :blink: Never heard that before.

Next thing this bird will be posting on the list about how impossible it is to make friends in that town...

Soooo true.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

My kiddo has autism. It is not a bad word or reference. My other two kiddos don't mind when I say that to them, either.

I really don't understand why this woman would feel that way about the word.

ETA we need to save this thread for posterity. The Hive is unanimous! Pass the cupcakes!

Awesome! A unanimous poll. I've never seen that here. :thumbup: I agree with a previous poster that it could be insulting if used to refer to a disabled teen who seemed young. Dh calls our dds kiddos. He surely doesn't mean it in a bad way. My dad uses the term kiddies. I've never heard anyone else use it, but I know he doesn't mean anything negative by it.

bumping. she's now claiming "kiddo" for a disabled child (and only one person on the local autism group is remotely partially agreeing with her) is like saying "colored" in reference to an african american.

can this woman get a grip?

umm... no.

She's wrong. And, she's a whackadoodle.

:rant: In a world where people have fears over whether they will be able to feed their children because they lost their job, people still die under civil strife and dictators and so forth.....I just can't muster sympathy for any offense taken by the use of the word "kiddo". I don't want to muster it. The idea is silly and wasteful of the immense capacity we have as humans to think. There are real people, with real problems who I can't find enough time in life to help. This woman can stand in line one place ahead of anyone who is also so easily offended and in search for issues to be offended, while blind to things that matter. Maybe when every other conceviable problem in the world is solved it will be worth one more moment spent on her search for something to fret about, thus file it in the circular file and flush. Next! :rant:

I came up with this on Wikipedia. The article has lots of flags at the top, but maybe this is where she got the idea from.

Kiddo, patronizing and excessively familiar term for a child, especially one with a disability.

Laura

Even if you take this definition (which is Wikipedia, so not the most reliable), it is only true if used by someone who is not close to the child since the definition uses the phrase "excessively familiar".

Yikes. After many years visiting online forums and learning there are all kinds of special people in this world, I shouldn't be shocked.

And yet, I am. I am continually amazed at the silly, little, stupid things that people will get their knickers in a twist over.

I'm also a little creeped out that this poll is unanimous. 405 votes strong. The sky may be falling as I type... :p