Menu

My Father's World or Heart of Dakota?

Guest happy6

Which one is easier to combine kids? I have a 6th grader, 4th grader, and 1st grader. I'm also juggling a 4 yo, 2 yo, and 6 week old. I need a curriculum that will get done!

HOD is done by skill level, not necessarily grade. You may be able to combine the 4th/6th grader as you could select the highest skill level the 4th grader could do and then use the extensions for the 6th grader. You would not be able to combine the 1st grader. . I haven't done the upper levels, but my bet is that HOD will be more likely to get done than MFW as it trains the kids to do things independently and doesn't rely on the book basket which many people love/hate. You can go to HOD's website and find the placement link on the right.

MFW is combinable, I believe 2nd-8th. Some people think it is easy to combine those grade levels together, some don't. I'm not sure how independent it is -someone else might want to contribute to that topic.

I like the idea of MFW and gave it a try. I enjoyed working with my chlildren together on some things but the age gap is so large it wasn't as easy. I like MFW and HOD but for me HOD won. I use HOD with my younger two since they are 13 months and are similar in skills they work together for everything but LA and Math. My oldest uses somthing different. I may go all the way to 8th with HOD with the younger two, just have to wait and see how Preparing goes with them next year.

I've decided to go with MFW Creation to Greeks so that I can combine them. I'm thinking about having my first grader tag along and do her own math and LA. Of course, I could buy MFW 1st grade and have her do that since I have 3 more coming up through the ranks. It would get a lot of use. Thanks for the input!