Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mommyto4QT

What to do after last "Explode the Code" books??

My 2nd grader is set to finish Book 8 in the Explode the Code series. We've used them for phonics practice/review. He enjoys the books a lot and is reading way above his 2nd grade level. I am curious what I should do after the last Explode the Code book. Should I start a vocabulary workbook? Is there anymore Phonics that we need to learn? Should we do a reading comprehension workbook?

Looking for suggestions that are quick, fun, and easy to teach....similar to what Explode the Code was!!

Let him read. :thumbup:

You can do narration, if you'd like. That's much better than a comprehension workbook.

Read, read, read!! :-) Select good books and let him loose. There is no need for anything more. I guess if you REALLY wanted to do some kind of LA workbook thing, you could look into Apples and Pears Spelling books.

I'm going to assume he's already reading plenty. Here, we have a sort of workbook limit and ETC filled a large chunk. When we finished it, it allowed one of my dc to move to doing some other language arts practice and I just put together a hodgepodge of grammar, editing, spelling and vocab practice skills for him from different ebooks and sites.

If you're not doing spelling, I would replace it with spelling.

isn't there a beyond the code?

Beyond the code is actually designed to go along with the earlier books, not after. I was confused as well! :)

My 2nd grader is about to finish ETC 8 as well. I do think we are going to add a reading comprehension workbook just because she struggles with it, but otherwise I had no intention of replacing it in the schedule. We do spelling, grammar, and writing in addition.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin