Menu

vidoetext algebra and saxon algebra 1?

pjssully

Hi-- I am almost done with my currciulum but am stillundecided between these two programs. My daughter has done Teaching Textbook Pre Algebra but once i look into it, i realized that it really is behind other programs. Anyways, i have Saxon Algebra 1 with the teacher DVD's and also the first module A of Video text. I am looking for feedback as to which one to do. My daughter is very independent so i do think it would no matter much as that goes. Any experience with these twO

thanks

pam

WE tried to no avail with videotext algebra for my 3 oldest. Had a friend with a master's in math say she couldn't/wouldn't use it! Then, I have heard glowing reviews from others. We used BJUP for higher math. If you have them both - yeah try it out and see which comes to the top.

I can not comment on the Saxon Alg or VideoText. Although, I did check the Saxon Alg out from the library and I did not like the layout and format.

I am going with Lial's Introductory Algebra. This program also has a video tutor. It is mastery based and not spiral -- which we wanted. It does have cummulative review lessons at the end of each chapter -- to keep old concepts fresh. I bought the 7th edition (older) used and received everything -- student manual, teacher manual and video tutor for less than $30. I have looked over the program thoroughly and I am very, very impressed. It is written for a student to work independently and I love the format.

Prior to deciding on this program, I was seriously considering Chalkdust. I'm so glad that I was able to save myself over $300! :lol:

Don't mean to through another program into the mix - but it is something you may want to consider.

I ordered Videotext Algebra for my ds, but I ended up sending it back. The biggest thing for me was the tiny print used in the solutions manual. When my ds runs into a problem I sometimes have to check the solutions manual, and the small print really bothered me!

Another thing that I found frustrating was the number of course booklets instead of just one textbook. I think we would've adjusted to that, but for me this is another thing I like about Saxon...just turn the page and do the next lesson!

My ds prefers Saxon, and he was so happy when he found Alg.I on the shelf at the bookstore so we're sticking with it. I was concerned that I might not be able to keep up with him, which is why VT appealed to me. So...I'll probably buy the Dive cd in case we need it.

FWIW, I talked to the top guy at Videotext about my problem with the small print in the Solutions manual. He told me that at this level a parent shouldn't be dealing with it at all...the student should be able to make use of it independently. I agreed that this would be an ideal situation, but it isn't my reality.