Menu

What does this child expect?!? Warning: VENT

goldberry

DD has always been a rather slow moving kid. If there is too much going on, too many activities, too heavy of a schedule, she gets overwhelmed, shuts down, can't do anything. I get that. I am somewhat that way myself, although my adult self-discipline gets me through it most of the time. I understand she has not yet fully developed that discipline.

Add to that, I am not a super-rigorous homeschooler. I expect an average work load, average level of learning.

Obviously, each year though, the work load gets a bit harder and bit heavier. Last year she joined a co-op type of thing that takes all day Fridays. Academically, it doesn't really add too much. It is mostly a social benefit, which DD does really need, since she is a very social kid. She loves her Fridays and chose to continue doing them this year. I made it very clear to her though that it takes a day from school work, and that the other days may be tougher than she desires to get everything done. We discussed this in depth.

Before winter break, she was very agitated that her schedule was too tough, and it was just "too much". Although I considered the schedule pretty reasonable, I adjusted it a bit. So seriously, she is working a 4-day week from 9 until about maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon. THIS IS NOT BAD.

Today she had a total meltdown because one assignment took longer than planned, and she though she was going to be finished by lunch. So a few minutes ago I told her to go to a web site to look at something....you want me to do this today?? Do you have any idea what kind of day I'm having?? Do you have any idea what I'm going through trying to get all this done?? You don't understand anything about what I'm dealing with!! :glare:

Does she realize in public school she would be working 5 days a week until 4 pm, plus 2 hours MINIMUM homework? What the heck does she want from me? How is this kid ever going to survive in the real world??? ARGHHHHH...

Thanks for listening....

Yeah. I feel your pain. We had a nice chat today about how when he whines to me about his workload, asks me to cross things off, asks if he can skip some problems, asks for the moon on a silver platter.... that wouldn't fly out there in the big, big world, and it's not flying here anymore either. So stop asking and do what you are supposed to do. :glare:

Maybe if I whine at them enough, the dishes will magically clean themselves??

I feel your pain. Sometimes, they become just so overwhelmed that things seem impossible. I usually let the blow off a little steam (not in my presence or earshot, mind you) and then sit down and help them come up with a plan with manageable bite-sized pieces. Those early teen years are hard. But, after I thought my boys had passed it, it reared its ugly head around 16 - junior year when academics really ramped up.

Vent Away! There are lots of us living this dream with you! :grouphug:

Today was our first good day in about a week. Probably because it is snowing and that makes DD happy because the skiing will be good tonight. But we've had at least 5 school days of Poky Little Puppy behavior and whining and even having to do the dreaded "homework on the weekend" when even the minimum didn't get finished.

I think it's a bad case of February breaking out here!

I believe this issue is about motivation. I've had similar problems as well. I suspected that my oldest would do more in public school because of the motivation of the entire classroom. I sent him to school last year and guess what? He did more writing, and certain subjects he was lagging at home he did exceptionally well with at school. I have racked my brain for solutions to this. I plan to be more goal orientated, and focus on the basics without dragging things out. Some curriculum just drags things out so much. So I make sure he knows what he needs to, and I let him do just a little review without doing every question. There is something about sitting amoung others that are doing the same task as you that motivates you to keep going. So I plan to try the video lessons for Student Intensive Writing. I think it simulates a classroom. I've also started sitting next to him for most of the day. I get him involved in a lesson, then I get up to do things as needed. We do grammar lessons orally a lot. I have also been having conversations on various topics during the day. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm planning to stretch our school year out with less bookwork day to day. Our environment is so different at home, I think trying to work the way the school does with a certain amount of days compounded with a set curriculum is hard. Everyone on this forum has a super duper curriculum, they have analyzed it, put it through a strainer, and created a masterpiece. I think it's ok if it takes more time to get the most out of it.

Lol. Parents all over America are hearing the same sad tale of woe.

I just ignore it or laugh it off. The consequences burn enough. No point adding argument to it.

You should of heard dd complain to dh in front of me about how hard it was for her. He looked at me, laughed and said, "You might want to quit while you are ahead."

I feel your pain. Sometimes, they become just so overwhelmed that things seem impossible. I usually let the blow off a little steam (not in my presence or earshot, mind you) and then sit down and help them come up with a plan with manageable bite-sized pieces. Those early teen years are hard. But, after I thought my boys had passed it, it reared its ugly head around 16 - junior year when academics really ramped up.

You have made me feel better. Dd, 16, is going through this!

I tell my kids "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it". They have heard that so much they don't bother complaining anymore -they just issue a deep sigh when I tell them to move on to the next thing lol. I'll take that over the whining anyway.

If you are ramping up the work remember it takes time for them to adjust. My dd is in first grade this year (we just started last week) and its a whole lot more work then in k. Yesterday she slept in till 11.30 poor little soul lol. I let her sleep, fed her lunch and started school later. The advantages of homeschooling.

Give your DD some grace but stay steady on the expectations .

Thanks, fellow moms...

I left home for a hair cut appt, and had to drive past an intersection where the neighborhood just lost a 15yo boy to an accident about a week ago. Started bawling in the car!

Another day in the life of homeschooling motherhood....

Both of my girls prefer to have shorter days and less time off - we don't take a full summer break or all of the expected holidays. For example, the schools around here will be off next week (Mardi Gras!), and a lot of hs'ers follow suit, but we will only take Mardi Gras itself completely off. We'll do some minimal work Monday and Wednesday, and closer to normal on Thursday and Friday. Has your dd tried or considered that? Sometimes they are just complaining for the sheer joy of it, but other times it can lead to positive tweaking of the schedule.

the joys of whining....my dd just got the fridge to clean...and the baseboards are next. She has been dragging her schoolwork out every night this week and then trying to nap the next day. I've now moved her to the table right next to me ;)...such a bummer for her...almost 16 and can't seem to do her work herself. This child has very little drive unless its to draw...