Menu

has anyone flipped a pillowtop mattress?

KatieJ

We bought a new mattress after my husband had back surgery. Can't remember the brand, but one of the "s" ones at a furniture store. It developed divots where we sleep. They replaced it several years back. It now has divots again. It is only a one sided pillow top. We have added a 3 inch gel foam topperd, but the divots are still there. After sleeping in the guest room for teh past 3 weeks while we updated the bedroom, my back is now killing me sleeping on that mattress again!

I am wondering if we should try flipping it anyway and putting the gell topper back on and see if that's better. My husband's back surgery was unsuccessful and I hate to ask him to move this stinking mattress again, but I suspect he is sleeping as poorly as I am.

Most of these are NOT flippable... they did not put padding/support on the bottom...

We purchased a " top-of-th-line" (meaning expensive) Sealy mattress a few years ago-- it was a pillow top. After the first year we had them replace it because the 'divits' were too deep. The replacement lasted just as long-- and they would not replace that one.

We ended up tossing the mattress-- it was NOT flippable.

We purchased an even more expensive mattress 4 years ago and we are still VERY satisfied. I have a bad back (had surgery a few years ago) and I'm comfortable EVERY night-- no divits! We have a Comfopedic (slightly different and less expensive than Tempurpedic).

If you cannot afford a premium foam mattress-- then purchase a good basic one (NOT plush or pillowtop) and add the memory topper yourself-- when it loosens up too much or starts to form 'divits' then simply replace the topper.

I sympathize with you...

Goodness, we purchased a pillow-top ONE year ago and it sunk like nothing I've ever had the misfortune of sleeping on. Since it was under a year they replaced it this past weekend. They wanted us to go with another pillow-top, but I said no way, not in a million years.

You can try flipping it; I mean it's yours, but I have no idea what it would feel like. I was ready to sleep on the floor to avoid our one year old mattress that also begins with an S...

You might try checking the warranty again. I spent an hour on the phone and then, we had to go through a bunch of paperwork and take specific pictures with a ruler showing the sags. (They offered having a technician come out for $35 to do an inspection, but I didn't want to risk more money on a terribly bad mattress.)

Our bed looked like a cursive w, and no amount of rotating helped. We went with a cheap, simple firm mattress = hard-rock and topped it with a down-alternative mattress pad. We did have to pay for delivery, but I wasn't willing to spend another dollar on a mattress from that company.

We have one mattress company locally that still makes a flippable mattress; that will be our next try if this one doesn't work out.

I have the paperwork, but can't find the tag that give the warranty time frame. I seem to recall they said they would not replace the 2nd mattress. We have had the new one just over 3 years. We ended up throwing in $300.00 towards a better mattress and had to pay for delivery for the replacement mattress. I now know this particular furniture store makes you jumps thru hoops when there is an issue. I will never shop there again.. It feels like throwing good money after bad .

I am thinking it just can't hurt to flip and put the topper back on. We love the topper!

I'd check the underside of your mattress, but most of them don't really have padding on that side if they have a pillow top on the other.

It's sad to say, but this is why I said, "Never again" to a pillow-top mattress. They always seem to develop buffalo wallows. Everyone I know who's had a pillow-top mattress has developed big buffalo wallows. I'm sorry!

I'd check the underside of your mattress, but most of them don't really have padding on that side if they have a pillow top on the other.

It's sad to say, but this is why I said, "Never again" to a pillow-top mattress. They always seem to develop buffalo wallows. Everyone I know who's had a pillow-top mattress has developed big buffalo wallows. I'm sorry!

Buffalo Wallows! I love it! Somedays it feels like I am crawling out of a ditch!

I am thinking they don't have much padding, but since I already have a 3 inch gel foam topper, I am thinking we would be ok with out padding.

I was more wondering abou it feeling unblanced or something because of the mattress resting on the topper part.

I guess we won't know unless we try.