Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plum

Netflix Documentary Discussion Group

I've been in a documentary kick lately and watching a few.

I watched The War on Kids and thought it was so sad. I know many if those places were in inner city schools and not everywhere but I couldn't help but feel for those kids. I went to school in California where schools are open and halls are outside. We didn't even really have a cafeteria. We had an outdoor stadium style ordering system and stations throughout the school to eat outside. The gates to the outside were locked during school hours with one gate open for seniors to be able to leave for lunch.

Another one I watched recently was Chemerical. It's about all the toxic chemicals in cleaners. It's part if the homemade cleaner movement. I think I might try making my own cleaner after watching it. It's supposed to be so much better for us and its way cheaper. I'm sure dh will think I'm crazy. Where's the best place to get essential oils?

Any good ones you want to discuss or recommend?

Guest inoubliable

Popping in so I can find this later. I use Netflix pretty much ONLY for documentaries! LOL. I thought I was the only docu-dork here! :laugh:

I'll have to go through my watched stuff and pick out a few to comment on here. I haven't seen Chemerical. I need to go add that to my queue!

I don't watch them on Netflix but I do own quite a few. I find a lot of war ones in the $5.00 bin at Walmart. Also get them on inter library loan:)

I have both of those in my queue.

I recently watched The Buisness of Being Born and part of the subsequent sequels. The movies made some pretty interesting points about bonding issues and how our mother mortality rate has doubled in the last several years. Among industrialized countries our mortality rates are among the last. That seems wrong. The movie suggested it could be attributed to our large csection rate which could be connected to various medical interventions.

It warrants further research for sure!

I have both of those in my que.

I recently watched The Buisness of Being Born and part of the subsequent sequels. The movies made some pretty interesting points about bonding issues and how our mother mortality rate has doubled in the last several years. Among industrialized countries our mortality rates are among the last. That seems wrong. The movie suggested it could be attributed to our large csection rate which could be connected to various medical interventions.

I've had that in my queue for awhile. I had to have a c-section when I could not deliver my 10 lb first child that has a Charlie Brown head. After that fighting the doctors for a vbac became what seemed an impossible task.

I watch a lot of science and nature documentaries with ds9. He loves the Walking With Dinosaurs series, and the BBC Earth series too.

I saw College, Inc. last night. It's all about for profit schools like University of Phoenix, Grand Canyon and others. The recruitment for those places is so much more aggressive because there is huge profit for them, mostly from Federal Grants and Loans. It's just like the housing market where they are helping people get loans that can't pay them back because either they can't get a job with their degree or they are not prepared for this type of schooling and drop out. Student loans are protected from bankruptcy, so these people are stuck with these huge loans. It's so sad. On the other hand, dh went to technical school, graduated Salutatorian and has been able to find jobs in his field. He does feel they didn't give him what was promised when he signed up, but he made the best of it and worked his butt off for 2 years. I was lucky to have my employer pay for a HR U of Phoenix course. I'm not sure I can actually do anything with the certificate I received.

I am addicted to Netflix documentaries!!! We just finished watching "Steven Nye in America" and we enjoyed it so much! He went to all 50 states in teh union road trip style. I'm also gorging on any archaeology ones I can find!

Exit Through the Gift Shop was interesting. Was it a documentary, or a piece of performance art by Banksy? I don't know, but I enjoyed it either way.

We just watched Hot Coffee about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit and torte reform. Very eye opening. I bought what "they" sold back in the 90's. I'm so skeptical of everything now because everyone has an agenda. What the heck is the truth anymore?

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Netflix documentaries.

Oh, gosh my dh and I love to watch them on netflix....unfortunetly I usually fall asleep half way thru

Exit Through the Gift Shop was interesting. Was it a documentary, or a piece of performance art by Banksy? I don't know, but I enjoyed it either way.

I had that in my queue forever and never watched it. I'll have to give it another shot.

I saw Quantum Activist a while back. I'll never forget his motto. Do. Be. Do. Be. Do. It's about balance.

I have both of those in my queue.

These numbers should be broken down by part of the country and socioeconomic class. And mom's who have + UDS or STDs.

I am still shocked at how I think of bearing a child as the most serious affair in my life, and others view it as something that happens 9 months after sex.

I remember Macnamara becing accosted by a protester in Washington DC over ??our relation to Cuba or some such thing. He told them they should be rioting about the infant mortality rate in DC.

BBC Atlas of the Natural World

The Story of India

The National Parks: America's Best Idea (Ken Burns)

I just noticed that I can only see one page of past instant activity -- I simply can't remember all that I have watched & liked.

The ideas here are great!

Popping in so I can find this later. I use Netflix pretty much ONLY for documentaries! LOL. I thought I was the only docu-dork here! :laugh:

That is me and my dh's favorite past time. I think the one on Auschwitz, that is several episodes, is the best(and worst) one I have seen. It is so well done and jammed packed with information.

Okay, I have to join you. We just got a Roku and we have Amazon Prime... I'm going to do a Netflix trial as well. I have several lined up, including Food Inc, Forks over Knives, and Waiting for Superman. King Corn looks interesting too.

I've had that in my queue for awhile. I had to have a c-section when I could not deliver my 10 lb first child that has a Charlie Brown head. After that fighting the doctors for a vbac became what seemed an impossible task.

I'm sorry, but I laughed really hard at "Charlie Brown head." Mine had one of those too (97th percentile!), but he was "only" 8 pounds so we managed to (painfully) proceed the old fashioned way. Poor kid had to get adult hat sizes as a preschooler. :D

I am still shocked at how I think of bearing a child as the most serious affair in my life, and others view it as something that happens 9 months after sex.

This is so true. It was a huge, solemn undertaking for me, and I was a nervous wreck the whole time. Not saying everyone should worry or fret like I did (in fact, I don't recommend it!), nor do you have to be perfect, but it floors me how many people don't take basic care of themselves during pregnancy.

Okay, I have to join you. We just got a Roku and we have Amazon Prime... I'm going to do a Netflix trial as well. I have several lined up, including Food Inc, Forks over Knives, and Waiting for Superman. King Corn looks interesting too.

I liked Forks over Knives. My BIL saw Food Inc and has never looked at hamburger the same. I'm a little afraid of that one. Fed Up! looks like another food related one I have in my queue along with Hungry for Change.

Be forewarned, I can't promise I watched all of these on Netflix (plus they rotate in and out anyway), but here are some I have enjoyed:

Crossing the Line: US soldier defects to North Korea

Dear Zachary: heartbreaking crime documentary, not graphic but very upsetting

The Hobart Shakespeareans: Rafe Esquith's class (There Are No Shortcuts; Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire)

March of the Penguins; nature

Winged Migration; nature

Frontline, Death by Fire: crime; was a man executed for a crime that did not even occur?

Vikings, Journeys to New Worlds: history

Microcosmos: tiny, tiny nature

Bag it

Dive

Forks Over Knives

Vegecated

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Gerson Therapy (Gerson Truth?)

Beautiful Truth

I love documentaries.

ETA: Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue

Happy

Dying to Have Known

Lord Save Us from Your Followers

Vanishing of the Bees

CraigsList Joe (careful about the S&M scene/pictures the rest is fine) NOT FOR CHILDREN!

Oh I love history and science documentaries/shows! It's what we mostly watch around here. I'm only starting to delve into the social and cultural genres.

We watched a lot of the usual documentaries for ancient history.

Legacy: The Origins of Civilization

Kingdom of David: The Saga of the Israelites

Walking with Caveman

Egypt's Golden Empire

Conquistadors

Dawn of the Maya

The Great Inca Rebellion

China's Terracotta Warriors

Alexander - can't remember the name but it was through YouTube

We're about to watch Greeks: Crucible of Civilization for History

How could I forget all the TedTalks on there?! I think we've watched just about all of them. I love TedTalks!

We just finished watching 3 episodes of Extreme Bodies (we skipped the one on the super obese because it is a bit disturbing to watch).

Fascinating highlight on MRI technology and the impact of the extremes of human development.

Next up is one of the ones on China - maybe the TerraCotta Warriors one.

They have been around for ages, but only now are getting released and very popular. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design. It's a trade talk by an expert that is supposed to be the talk of their life in under 18 minutes. The winner of the years TEDTalk gets a $ prize toward their cause. There are a lot that are really good, some meh. I have a list on my blog for the best TedTalks for Homeschoolers. They are linked directly to the TEDTalks site. While you are there check out TEDEd, those are dedicated to education and are usually animated. My absolute favorite talk is Ken Robinson's: Schools Kill Creativity. Marco Tempest talks are just plain fun.

Edited to change TED stands for Technology, Entertainment (I always thought it should be Education) and Design.

I recently watched "Vote For Me" on Netflix streaming. It is a documentary about a third grade class voting for class president. It was interesting to see a school in China and how some parents were so involved.

After all the talk on FB, I watched War on Kids too. Before that I watched Ballerina, about 5 Russian prima ballerinas and what it took to get there.

Subscribing to this thread--always looking for suggestions.

Jen, thanks for the TED Talks info. I put that channel on our Roku as I'd heard of these, but wasn't sure what it was all about. We'll have to watch some.

I finally watched Waiting for Superman and have quite a few new TEDTalks they've added since I last checked. I can't wait!

I think my next ones will be The Cartel, , Please Vote for Me, Whatever It Takes and Shakespeare High. They are all about education.

I love documentaries. Here are some I've enjoyed on Netflix:

Sound and Fury (deaf culture and controversy over cochlear implants)

The Education of Shelby Knox (sex education)

First Position (ballet)

The Hollywood Complex (families making extreme sacrifices for their children to have a shot in Hollywood)

For The Bible Tells Me So (personal stories of Christians who had to rethink their views when a child came out)

Waiting for Superman (education lotteries)

Nursery University (think college admission except for nursery schools in NY city)

American Teacher

King of Pastry (French competition to get ultimate pastry prize)

A State of Mind (North Korean culture seen through the eyes of two girls preparing for a national celebration)

Only When I Dance (ballet)

The Lottery (education)

Little Man (extreme prematurity and effect on family relationships)

Spirit of the Marathon

God Grew Tired of Us (Sudanese refugees settle in US)

A Man Named Pearl (fascinating look at topiary hobby that overtook a man's life)

Mad Hot Ballroom (dance competition in NY public schools)

Pressure Cooker (culinary competition in NY public schools)

Which Way Home (children attempting to travel to US on their own)

The Pit (commodities trading)

Circo (family circus)

The Way We Get By (loved this - retirees in Maine greet all returning Iraq veterans that come through the airport)

Hoop Dreams (basketball)

The Street Stops Here (education and basketball)

Fat Head

Burzynski (actual movie was dry, not sure what to think about the protagonist, but left me thinking a lot about our political system)

Nursery University

An Inconvenient Tax

Some of the others i liked have already been mentioned. I was on an infotainment kick for a while (which is how I view most documentaries--propaganda with enough truth in them to give you ideas to investigate yourself)

I watched "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story" today. Although not documentary, it was a good adaptation for his biography. Enjoyed that, recommend.

Probably only appropriate for more mature viewers, includes some emotional/surgical content.

I recently watched a documentary about third world prostitution-- "Whores' Glory." They show nothing (except for some gyrating pole dancers, briefly) until the end at which point it gets very graphic. But it was absolutely mesmerizing and terribly sad to see inside these women's lives. They profile women from thailand, Bangladesh, and mexico. Bangladesh was the most difficult to watch. But turn it off before the last 15-20 minutes unless you want to get an eyeful. Unless it's explained in those last 20 minutes (which I skipped), I don't know why the docu is titled as it is. In the mexico segment they show glimpses of Santa Muerte "worship" activity-- one was a healing ceremony, and that likewise was fascinating.

Another good documentary, "My Flesh and Blood" about a foster mom with 11(? can't remember) disabled children.

I thought The War on Kids was a very poorly done documentary. I'm not saying the topic isn't worth looking at but in terms of its execution it was not well done, very sloppy.

All of Werner Herzog's docus are worth watching. The Cave of Forgotten Dreams is beautifully done.

Susan Boyle: An Unlikely Superstar is excellent, very moving (I was in tears) and safe for kids.

There are so many more but those are off the top of my head. I'm a documentary hound.

Did anyone mention Herb and Dorothy yet? I've viewed that several times and get a kick out of - couple of art collectors in NYC. Good for everyone.

I recently watched a documentary about third world prostitution-- "Whores' Glory." They show nothing (except for some gyrating pole dancers, briefly) until the end at which point it gets very graphic. But it was absolutely mesmerizing and terribly sad to see inside these women's lives. They profile women from thailand, Bangladesh, and mexico. Bangladesh was the most difficult to watch. But turn it off before the last 15-20 minutes unless you want to get an eyeful. Unless it's explained in those last 20 minutes (which I skipped), I don't know why the docu is titled as it is. In the mexico segment they show glimpses of Santa Muerte "worship" activity-- one was a healing ceremony, and that likewise was fascinating.

Another good documentary, "My Flesh and Blood" about a foster mom with 11(? can't remember) disabled children.

I thought The War on Kids was a very poorly done documentary. I'm not saying the topic isn't worth looking at but in terms of its execution it was not well done, very sloppy.

All of Werner Herzog's docus are worth watching. The Cave of Forgotten Dreams is beautifully done.

Susan Boyle: An Unlikely Superstar is excellent, very moving (I was in tears) and safe for kids.

There are so many more but those are off the top of my head. I'm a documentary hound.

War on Kids was definitely one-sided as far as showing the worst, scariest schools out there.

I highly, highly recommend Between the Folds. Amazing, amazing origami sculptures, both artistic and mathematical.

We enjoyed the Human Family Tree during our studies on prehistory.

Ok. Between the Folds is my next one. I keep hearing all of these great things about it.

Bill Cunnigham: New York is also beautifully done and surprisingly interesting. He is a world renowned fashion photographer but the film is not pretentious at all and details his amazing life (until recently he lived in a closet sized apartment, sleeping on his filing cabinets). There is a brief scene with drag queens being interviewed (which went right over my girls' heads) otherwise it's G rated.

I just felt War on Kids was a lousy documentary. I'm sorry but you don't use the F word in the first 30 seconds without good reason. And the editing and pacing were horrible.

And quite frankly, from my experience in schools, the kids were not being disciplined nearly enough, they were out of control and horribly behaved. So I had trouble feeling sorry for schoolkids in the little bit I did manage to get through.

And, I give a second vote fro Crossing the Line and State of Mind. IIRC both are fairly safe for kids, especially the latter.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi -- amazing docu about a world famous sushi chef, a beautiful profile of self discipline and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

A Man Named Pearl -- black man in SC is offended when he hears "black people don't keep up their lawns" so he becomes obsessed with his lawn and teaches himself topiary. His lawn is now internationally recognized as a topiary masterpiece (though I thought it looked tacky....)