Menu

If you could spend $500 on curriculum on your little one...

momsuz123

what would it be? I open enrolled my kiddos into a charter school for this fall. I am not sure 100% if we are in, but if we are...we get $500 for kids in prek. My little guy is 4. I am not sure what to spend that all on. What would you do? I am learning about what I can specifically spend it on still. Anyone have experience with this either?

Thanks.

It does have to be secular - since it is a public charter virtual school. I do know that gym classes, music classes and that are all covered too. I emailed them today to find out some more specifics. He is a very active little boy. Loves cars, trucks, monsters, legos, building. Loves to be read to, asks how to spell words all the time, loves sticker books. He still holds his pencil wrong, oh well - he is still occassionaly switching it to his left hand too. I am slowly, very slowy, doing some phonics when he asks about spelling like, "mommy, how do you spell General Grievous". :laugh:

I would get Sonlight 3/4, 4/5 , with K Science! I know you couldn't buy it all but most of it would be ok with the Public Charter. I would also get some Miquon math and Cuisenaire Rods. I would get All About Reading, and All About Spelling, art supplies, craft supplies, a big white board, and games. Explode the Code, Elemental Science Biology ( which is very easy ) or the Intro with supporting books and supplies. Tons and tons of extra literature to read aloud!

For a four year old:

All About Reading pre level 1

Right Start A and RS games

Books from Sonlight 3/4 and 4/5

Science kits just for fun

HWOT manipulatives (for pre k probably just the wooden letter pieces and cards and the roll a dough letters.)

Music class, some sports/activity, and an annual membership to some kind of museum or zoo or both.

Obviously you can't get all of that, but its my pre k wish list. ;)

Handwriting Without Tears PK--including woodpieces

Singapore Math Earlybird series

snapcubes

pattern blocks and cards and a mirror

quality art supplies

http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury-Picture/dp/0679886478

Developing the Early Learner (all 4 books)

Usborne: shapes, opposites

Kumon Book of Cutting

Ordinary Parent's Guide to teaching reading

a tumbling class

Lego Star Wars sticker book (pattern matching, fine motor with the stickers)

a bunch of supplies for busy bags (see pinterest for ideas)

a huge stack of DK Star Wars readers...he won't quite be ready for them, but they will be motivation to learn and he can practice repeating after you as you read to him

Lego has some very cool educational kits for that age and a little bit older. Go to legoeducation.com. Also Nancy Larson science has some nice "open and go" science programs that come with all the bells and whistles. Sing, spell, read and write? What about a subscription to discovery education?

Beth

We get quite a large sum of money from our charter school each year per child. It's so much fun to shop with someone elses money LOL. Our school has tightened up the reigns abit int he past few years about what we can buy. But I still try to get all thebasics from them, then buy the fun stuff myself. I just found out I have $400 for my 5 year old Transitional K kiddo this semester. I have to spend it or loose it by March 15th!

• 2 weeks later...

educational Duplos. The olders would have fun too. I'd get Tech Machines, and also tubes, if the school will let you; and here's a link to the simple machines from the Lego site. These will get so much use from your boy! We've acquired them over years with the help of grandparents (for gifts at birthdays and the holidays).

• 3 weeks later...

Wedgits

RightStart A

Tangrams and a book of easy designs

AAR Pre-level 1

Museum memberships

Mommy & Me music classes or Kindermusic

DK books: My First Book of Words, My First Atlas, My First Encyclopedia, etc.

Melissa & Doug puzzles

A set of assorted Dover coloring books to copy for him to color (snakes, birds, knights, castles, etc.)

Audubon guides on birds, reptiles, etc. (mine pore over these)

Be sure you know the rules. The charters I'm familiar with require non-consumables to be returned, so people tend to use the funds for consumables, classes, memberships and things like that, and buy the non-consumables with their own money.

(The upside of this is that they may have the non-consumable you're looking for available to borrow, especially if it is something popular, so you won't have to spend either your own money or charter funds.)

I only got $200 for pre-k. $500 is awesome!

I bought PAL Reading & Writing (most of it is consumable), Miquon math (all books - consumable), Elemental Science's Exploring Science ...

PAL was a good choice for my son, but I don't think it's for everyone. PAL Reading has lots of poetry and games. Writing has really cute letter stories and includes story "analysis," copywork, etc. If he has already had some phonics then it might be great. If he is starting from the beginning or is having trouble then All About Reading is more incremental.

I use Miquon but we are using Singapore Earlybird more often because it's open & go.

We haven't really gotten into the science ... It's another binder to open and plan and I'm usually a little frazzled. I have plans to catch up.

Oh, one thing we are LOVING is the Evan-Moor "Never Bored" books. The Kindergarten ones are fine for pre-k. They have lots of cut & paste crafts and puzzles, dot-to-dots, mazes, etc. I can get my kiddo to easily sit down with me and do a unit.

Alaska! Some are restricted to the school district you reside in, but many are open to anyone in the state. I think the largest allotment I've seen is $2700, but most are around $2k. I have found it to be very unobtrusive. I was even reassured by them to not worry about the standardized testing. The program I'm with was created by and for homeschoolers. We get a ton of leeway.

I have about that much to spend and already have my curriculum and decided to cut back on activities so also don't know what to get. I am going to make a list of the secular items I plan to use next year from mfw 1st, Wee Folk Art, and HWOT and see where that gets me and go from there. If they have some items on loan that sounds awesome :). I do not have too much space so holding onto every item is not practical for me.

My charter is only k and up and child must meet cut off date. Too bad I don't get pre-k cash. My son is turning 4 and that would be useful.

I just finished making my list this morning for my charter school, and it includes:

Rainbow Resource

• Come Look With Me: World of Play by Gladys Blizzard
  • Come Look With Me: World of Animals by Gladys Blizzard
  • Come Look With Me: Enjoying Art With Children by Gladys Blizzard
  • Come Look With Me: Exploring Landscape Art with Children by Gladys Blizzard
  • Games for Math: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Learn Math by Peggy Kaye
  • Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Night Illustrated by Susan Jeffers
  • Audonon’s Birds of America Coloring Book
  • Can You Hear it by William Lach
  • One Small Square Pond by Donald Silver
  • Classroom Outdoor Thermometer
  • Backyard Birdguide Song- Western North America
  • Every Day Graces: A Child’s Book of Good Manners
  • Little Annie Art Book of Etiquette & Good Manners
  • Complete Book of Spanish, Grades 1-3
  • Spanish Picture Dictionary
  • Spanish Bingo Game
  • Every Day Words in Spanish: Photographic Cards (flashcards)
  • Super Value Capital and Lower Case Letters (Sponge letter cut outs)
  • Family Pack Construction Paper
  • Card Stock, pastels
  • Card Stock, vibrant
  • Alphabet Phonics Center Kit (Lauri crepe letters upper & lower case)
  • Bob Books in Color-All 5 Set
  • Sight Words in a Flash Set 1(sight word flash cards)
  • Sign Language Pocket Flashcards
  • We Sign- ABC Sign and Sing Along DVD

</p>

Handwriting Without Tears:

• My Printing Book
  • Blackboard with Double Lines
  • Wide Double Line Notebook Paper
  • Draw and Write Notebook,
  • Stamp and See Screen

• Pencils for Little Hands

Local book store vendor:</p>

• Flower Fairies Alphabet Color Book by Cicely Mary Barker (2)
  • The Complete Book of Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker

• Nature in a Nutshell for Kids by Jean Potter
  • My First Book of Sign Language by Joan Holub

This came out to about $430 so we should be right about on target I am thinking. i want to hold on to my core curriculum, so this is more supplemental / extras / art supplies I would normally not get.

I should mention that this is for my preschoolers and 1st grader.

I pretty much spent that, but we have Christian mixed in. If I were to go secular, I would choose:

McRuffy Phonics, McRuffy Math, Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage, Evan-Moor Beginning Geography, Discovering Great Artists, and D'Nealian K.

I pretty much spent that, but we have Christian mixed in. If I were to go secular, I would choose:

McRuffy Phonics, McRuffy Math, Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage, Evan-Moor Beginning Geography, Discovering Great Artists, and D'Nealian K.

Yeah, our budget is about $500 per child, so since charter is picking up half we'll out of pocket do about $500. I'm getting the mfw 1st deluxe package and some enrichment items from their preschool stuff, la Clase Divertida level II, and Rod & Staff preschool workbooks as well as the Miller Series.

We're doing that next fall. I think they will be doing a gymnastics class or we will do maybe tennis and soccer in the fall and not sure in the spring. We were doing too much this last year so after winter break we cut back to just AHG and AWANA which were already paid up on and we could not have had them pay for anyhow. I think we will either do 1 gymnastics class for the entire school year with some misc. cash left over to do other stuff with or do two classes a week of some sort through the Y which has a lot of variety. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll be able to do AWANA or AHG this fall semester :( I have a class I have to take those two nights.