Menu

Is Singapore H. Educator's Guide Necessary?

aprilhwth

We are about to begin Singapore Math 1B. My daughter is doing well on just the supplemental worksheets for 1A I found locally based on Singapore Math. I am getting ready to purchase what we need for 1B. I plan on getting the textbook and worksheets. Do I need the Home Educator's Guide as well?

Do I need the textbook and the H. Guide or would the HG and the workbook be enough?

I've read on this forum previously that --as the grades progress-- the textbook really does become more necessary.

I haven't found the textbooks necessary for Grade 1... but I plan to continue buying them to have on hand (especially since I was not taught with this style of math).

In order to do Singapore correctly, I would purchase the HIG, text, and WB at minimum.

The HIG gives a schedule, enrichment, mental math, reinforcement, and games. It gives you the instruction to teach the program how it should be taught. Even if you think about math the way Singapore teaches (and I do), it is REALLY helpful. For me, the program becomes more open-and-go with the HIG.

The text is designed to be worked through with your child. It provides the problems for teaching. In year 1, it seems a bit simplistic. However, in year 2, we are already seeing how the text strengthens concepts and extends what's being taught. It is often more complex than the workbook.

I believe the workbook is designed to be done independently as a follow-up to what a child has been taught. In a school setting, I think the lesson would have been taught with the problems from the text being done in class and the workbook pages being brought home. Because of this, the workbook problems are great for reinforcement and independent work. (Though, in year 1 you'll probably have to sit next to your child as s/he completes the problems. You may even have to scribe for him or have him do it orally.) The workbook problems are often easier than the problems in the text.

I have never seen the HIGs, but I taught my three all the way with just the text+wkbk combo, with periodic additions of Intensive Practice books when I was trying to slow them down, lol.

IME, the text + wkbk was perfect and complete. Worked GREAT for me. Simple, super, wonderful. Only thing you NEED to add is fact drill for the "tables" (triangular flashcards are the best IMHO).

Caveats:

1) We also used Miquon for Gr1-3 (approx), then went solo with SM until they finished it.

2) I am very "mathy", i.e., math-intuitive. So, there's that.

3) I found it easy to see from the texts how to use manipulatives, etc to demonstrate ideas, which I did do while working through the texts. (Get out a scale, cut out shapes, etc.) Of course you want some hands-on, manipulatives, etc. I just don't see why anyone would need a book to tell you when/how to do this. To me, it was obvious from the texts.

If you are confident, and things are going well, and you can "get it" from the texts, I don't think you need HIGs or other supplements. If you are unsure, unmathy, or confused by the text, or the kids aren't getting it, then, by all means, get the HIGs.

FWIW, my kids could not have achieved more mathematically. SM went smoothly, as has everything else mathematically. They are all math super stars. All are succeeding in Art of Problem Solving math courses, well beyond their ages/years/grades. This might all be because of how great SM (and Miquon, etc) was, or it could be high IQ, good math genes, whatever. So, YMMV.

I have the SM 2 HIG and never use it...the 2x's I have needed extra help myself, I have easily found it in the Extra Practice Workbook.

The SM 2 HIG has a lot of extra info in it and games, but the EP workbook has better explanations IMO. My child has done quite well with SM this year.

So, we primarily use the Textbook & the Workbook. I have the Extra Practice Workbook for review on transitional/traveling days only.

I won't be buying the HIG for SM 3...at least not until I need it :)

I use the HIG daily. I wouldn't consider it "Singapore" math without it as I was not taught this way, so teaching it this way is not intuitive for me. If I was just going by the textbook and workbook, I wouldn't be doing Singapore Math.

I have done Singapore from the beginning and wondered what the big deal was until a friend showed me her HIGs and encouraged me to get them. I actually took my oldest at the time all the way back to the beginning of 1A (except for counting:)). I highly recommend them.

You don't need the HIG. I am good at math, I understand how to use manipulatives, etc. My son hates to spend excessive time with manipulatives so the card games just frustrated him. I did a quick demo with the blocks/colored pencils/candy and then he did one. If he got stuck on a problem I would hand him the manipulatives.

I felt like the HIG really slowed us down.

I haven't needed the HIGs (I think the eldest is in 3B right now). Instead, I read the Parker and Baldridge book which teaches teachers how to teach the SM way. I plan on getting their follow up book any day now. A much cheaper route the HIGs for every semester.

Full disclosure: I am a professor in a math-based discipline, so math doesn't scare me.