Menu

QUICK....medicine by age or weight??

kfeusse

Suck ice cubes. That help my brother a lot when he had his braces tightened.

There is also a numbing gel but I think that is not OTC.

50lb is on the low side for a 12 year old. I would call the docter and ask if the dosage can be up. If you up the dosage to the age limit, keep in mind the maximum daily dosage though.

My dentist once told me to combine Tylenol and Motrin; you could try giving them at the same time, instead of alternating them.

I agree that in general, you should dose by weight. However, I don't think upping the Motrin a little in this case is going to cause harm.

Weight. I have a <10% 8 yr old, and she regularly gets dosed like a 6 yr old, because she's physically about the size of the average 6 yr old.

I will say, though that Motrin/Advil and Aleve both have prescription doses of the same exact drug that are much, much stronger than even the maximum daily OTC dose suggested, so it may well be worth it to call the orthodontist and see if they have a suggested dosage-I know I've been told, on several occasions, to take more than the standard dose of various medications, and my dentist recommends taking both tylenol and Advil together for serious pain (like post root canal or dental-surgery pain) before going to narcotics.

Ibuprofen is one of those drugs where the dosage can vary. Adults can take anywhere from 200 mg to 800mg at one time. You need to call your dentist or doctor to ask how much they recommend for her. I'm not comfortable giving dosing information without your child being a patient, but she can most likely take more than what the label says.

Generally weight. Motrin can be taken in larger amounts, however I would consult a pharmacist or doctor before changing the dosage. You can actually increase the motrin and alternate with tylenol. Do NOT increase the tylenol. If both bottles say every 4-6 hours you can give a motrin dose at 2pm, then a tylenol dose at 4pm, another motrin dose between 6-8pm, etc. You do have to carefullytrack times to avoid overdosing. Check before upping the dosage, though. While you can increase it, too much motrin can be detrimental to your health.

I agree with the other responses; due to her weight, please call the doctor to get correct dosages.

Are you certain she weighs only 50 pounds? That is very small for 12 years old and I think I would be very concerned, unless you have already addressed this with her doctor. (So sorry to bring up, but you mentioned you didn't know if that was small for age or not. My 5 year old weighs well over 50, so that's my basis for asking.)

Ibuprofen is one of those drugs where the dosage can vary. Adults can take anywhere from 200 mg to 800mg at one time. You need to call your dentist or doctor to ask how much they recommend for her. I'm not comfortable giving dosing information without your child being a patient, but she can most likely take more than what the label says.

I agree. I would think she could take more for a short period of time (a couple days) but I would check with the doctor first.

I was wrong...I thought she was 50 pounds...we weighed her she is actually about 58...so that is a little more normal, huh? Not that it will change any of the advice...I will call the clinic and ask for dosage information...but just wanted to post that information here so you aren't so worried about her being extremely small. But she is a samll, petite girl...I am too...in fact all 3 of our kids are small for their age...but healthy.

thanks.

It’s always weight but it’s good to call your doctor to check the dose they would recommend. The labels give a dose for a range of weight that is safe for the entire range. So if you are on the lower end of that weight range the dose is good for you, if you are on the high end of the weight range it is a low dose for you. I often tell people to take more than the label recommends based on the actual weight of the child.