Menu

Anyone do TTap?

TraciWA

T-Tapp is one of those programs that people seem to either love or hate, with not too many falling into an "it's OK" category.

Personally, I liked it when I used it. I still think the old Callanetics program was more effective, but T-Tapp was pretty interesting, and at least it was different and unique.

I would recommend that, before you spend a lot of money on the DVDs, you read Teresa Tapp's book. It comes with a DVD, so you'll be able to get an idea as to whether or not you want to buy a whole package. I think it works particularly well for people who don't have a lot of weight to lose, but who want to tone up. (Ditto for Callanetics.)

I'll go find a link to the book on Amazon and come back and post it for you.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here you go!

http://www.amazon.co...rds=teresa tapp

If you're interested in trying Callanetics, the best of the books is the original one with the blue cover. The author was a woman named Callan Pinckney, and you can probably find the book in your local library. She also made a series of videos.

I've done TTapp off and one for a few years. Probably the biggest reason it didn't "work" for me is that I have a hard time staying interested with video-based workouts. But if you hunt around on their website you can usually find some good package deals that will allow you to get a variety of DVDs to get going.

The rationale behind how it all works makes sense to me and a lot of what TTapp claims is backed up by other independent sources I've read. It is very easy to adjust to your ability level which is good.

I do recommend a "boot camp" of at least four consecutive days of 40 minutes or more of the workout. She claims--and this is my experience coming back to it several times over the years--that you have sort of a mind/body breakthrough after the first few days.

I do recommend a "boot camp" of at least four consecutive days of 40 minutes or more of the workout. She claims--and this is my experience coming back to it several times over the years--that you have sort of a mind/body breakthrough after the first few days.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

T-Tapp is different from other workouts, and you have to commit to doing it consistently for at least several days before it will "click" with you.

I did it many years ago, and have to admit I found it *mind-numbingly* dull. I am not one who enjoys repetitive stuff, and it was sooooooooo repetitive. Maybe they have more interesting workouts now, but I just could not stick with it because of boredom alone. I much prefer having lots of different dvds of step aerobics, regular aerobics, pilates, etc. At least then I get a little variety. I suppose if there were 30 different workouts with good music and interesting choreography I could enjoy TTapp, but back when I did it that was not the case.

I'm sort of neutral about it.

It can be quite effective. The lack of fun doesn't phase me at all since we have gobs of workout choices in our house, so I can mix it up with weightlifting, kettlebells, Bosu ball, floor barre, or whatever catches my fancy.

I can see where people could screw up their knees with it, or some other body part (I personally have problems in my torso with one of the movements -- I have to be very, very careful with that particular movement). And, yeah, the argument is that they (people who find it painful) are just not doing it right, but I really have a tough time believing that any single system of movement can be correct for every person on the planet -- bodies seem to be much more diverse that T-Tapp devotees care to admit.

I'm fascinated by the thinking behind some of it -- the choice to engage certain muscles to obtain specific results, and how those muscles are engaged.

I consider myself fairly good at figuring out movement systems from written descriptions, but I doubt I could've figured it out from the book. Videos are much more helpful.

I consider myself fairly good at figuring out movement systems from written descriptions, but I doubt I could've figured it out from the book. Videos are much more helpful.

:iagree: I read the book first and was thoroughly confused. I didn't get it until watching the video.

I just noticed that there are T-Tapp videos on YouTube. They're only previews of some of the workouts, but they might give you a feel for what T-Tapp is like, and also let you see if you think you'll like Teresa's personality. (I like her just fine, but some people find her annoying.)

I have the Ttapp MORE, broom, step away and the T Tapp Plus I think.....all are 15-20 minutes long. That is honestly as long as I can stand to do a video workout by myself. The are BORING and after a few times you can quote the whole program. It does make my back feel better and the organs in place thing seems to help with "lady leakage" for some reason.

I much prefer walking with a friend but when I do videos I do this one 2 times a week or so and then other DVDs. Can't say I have lost great weight or look super toned or anything but I figure I am exercising for overall health and I have no health issues other than being "fluffy" for my height......blood work, blood pressure, etc. is all normal.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread for more info.  I have heard many on this board and another talk about T-tapp and how it really helped them lose weight and such, but I just don't get it.   If it really is fabulous I want to give it a try too, but how does this really help you lose weight?  Is it just another type of cardio or is there some secret component?

Dawn

Bumping this thread for more info.  I have heard many on this board and another talk about T-tapp and how it really helped them lose weight and such, but I just don't get it.   If it really is fabulous I want to give it a try too, but how does this really help you lose weight?  Is it just another type of cardio or is there some secret component?

Dawn

I've just started doing the instructional workout but I haven't been able to do it consistently with my 7 month old around. I've heard from Teresa Tapp, and from others who have done the program that it is more about inches lost than weight loss. She claims that you can "target tone" with her workouts. I felt challenged and I've enjoyed the workouts so far. I'm just hoping I can keep them up enough to see results. 

I have the Basic Workout Plus and the MORE workout---both about 17-20 minutes.  They work and I could tell the difference.  They also seem to help the "getting older cough dripping issue"  but they are BORING as all get out.  Terrible, horrible but they do work.  I was doing them 2 days a week or so until I started an exercise ball class and have been skiing almost daily.  Those things are more exciting.

If you can turn on the radio, a TV show, etc. to have something else to do while you do the workout it is better.