Menu

Quinoa?

jeninok

I have been trying to add some Quinoa to our diets, as a substitute for some of the rice and pasta, and in prep to try gluten free at some point soon.

Tonight I have a veggie soup that I flavored with Italian type seasonings, and have some tiny mini meatballs to drop into DS and DH bowls. But I would also like to add quinoa as a substitute for the pasta that is normally in minestrone.

Would you all cook it first, then stir in?

Or can I just add some to the simmering pot the last half hour or so?

What else do you do with quinoa? I made some tabouli with it last week and DH liked it, but DS wouldn't touch it!

ETA: I am not always so good with cooking simple grains, seriously I ruined two pots of rice last week, But managed to whip up a lemon garlic parmesan cream sauce from scratch without a recipe.

Make sure you rinse it well first. Quinoa has a saponin (soap-like) layer on the outside that makes the grain somewhat bitter and hard to digest. I find it best to soak the grain for 20 minutes or more, then rinse, but you can just rinse and cook.

I buy it pre-rinsed :)

It'll be fine if you cook it in the simmering soup for about 20 minutes.

I'm not a fan of quinoa as a grain bed like rice, but I don't mind it terribly in cold salads.

ETA: I buy pre-rinsed as well. It's not something I like enough to spend any extra time in preparation.

I buy it pre-rinsed :)

I bought some that said pre rinsed too, but I rinsed it anyway and quite a bit of film and floaty stuff came off. Tonight I just tossed some into the soup pot, it seems to be cooking fine, but certainly doesn't add any bulk. That is probably a good thing though, since I am essentially handing DS a bowl of vegetables in broth for dinner, Im not sure a large amount of new texture/flavor would go over very well!

The good news is that in 2 weeks of eating at home 99% of the time, and not dieting but making sure to add tons of produce and healthy fats, I have lost 5 of the pounds that I had gained this fall while all the moving and job change chaos was going on. I also had to tighten those red drawstring things on the inside waistband of DS jeans.

Do you think it would do well mixed in with steel cut oats?

ETA: The soup was really really good, it had chicken broth, carrots, kale, onions, garlic, green beans, tomatoes, celery, and green bell pepper....all the odds and ends of produce that I need to use up out of the fridge.

Then I used about 1/4 pound ground beef and 1 egg with breadcrumbs to make tiny meatballs, and tossed in about 1/2 cup quinoa.

DS ate two big bowls full, there is tons left over, and I think it probably cost about 4.00 to make the giant pot full. I couldn't taste the quinoa at all, but I do think it helped make it more filling.

I found this great recipe for a quinoa-broccoli-cheese casserole. (Thank you Pinterest!)

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/

It's pretty easy, and tastes really good. I go heavy on the broccoli & cheese.

It's good for people who, like my husband, are a little skeptical about trying quinoa. He was very pleasantly surpised at how good it was in this dish.

I rinse & cook them, then add sauteed leeks & onions to them. Then, I top it w/ a variety of items (beans, various steamed veggies, fish/chicken/beef) serve it as a one-dish main dish. Yum.

I also have a recipe I recently made that had stuff like broccoli, almonds, raisins, etc... in it. I served it as a side w/ fish. Yum. I added the leftovers to a cold salad the next day. Also good. (I can post the recipe later. Don't have it handy right now.)

ETA: Recipe here:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spiced-cod-with-broccoli-quinoa-pilaf-00000000049718/index.html