Menu

Which package of MCT Town to buy?

Grantmom

I am ready to jump in with both feet to MCT and want to buy the whole package. But there are three different "sets" for the Town level, the basic, the complete, and the classical, each going up in price. Any thoughts or insight on which to buy from anyone else who has done the whole curriculum? The Island and Voyage levels have just basic and complete sets.

Many thanks!

I've been looking at this level. It seems that the Classical Package includes the extended version of Caesar's English, which I've heard good things about. FWIW, I'm leaning towards getting that one.

I've used the Basic package for Island level, and it was perfectly adequate, but my dd is one of those kids who wants to have her own book. She gets annoyed with us sharing the teacher's manual, even if I cover up the teacher's notes.

Well, if you aren't on too tight of a budget, I would get the Classical package, because I really, really like the enhanced CE. I think if you are doing the whole program, this version of CE is great, because it explicitly links to the grammar, writing, and poetry pieces. For people who just want to do CE/vocab without the rest of the program, the old CE is perfectly fine.

For the new CE, it is easier to have the TM and the SM, but not absolutely obligatory if you are fine with doing it totally orally. DD and I like switching off with the reading, so we liked each having our own book, but we could have just sat closer together and looked on with the same one.

Oh, yeah, you will miss Mud and the gang in Sentence Island!! You don't want to miss that - SI was the best MCT book we've used so far!

When I was in your shoes last year, people advised me to just buy Sentence Island and do that, and then start Town. I followed their advice and I'm so glad I did!

I bought the TM of Grammar Town, Paragraph Town, Practice Town and Building Poems. I bought the SM for the expanded Caesar's English Part 1 and Part 2. I bought the parent's guide and the 3 books for the literature program. So far this has all worked out fine. Trinqueta doesn't mind sharing a book with me and having me cover the answers (even in Practice Town). We've been satisfied with the SMs for Caesar's English although they don't have the teacher notes or answers. I don't remember how this option compared to the package costs, but knowing myself, it must have been the lowest cost option that included everything.

I bought the TM of Grammar Town, Paragraph Town, Practice Town and Building Poems. I bought the SM for the expanded Caesar's English Part 1 and Part 2. I bought the parent's guide and the 3 books for the literature program. So far this has all worked out fine. Trinqueta doesn't mind sharing a book with me and having me cover the answers (even in Practice Town). We've been satisfied with the SMs for Caesar's English although they don't have the teacher notes or answers. I don't remember how this option compared to the package costs, but knowing myself, it must have been the lowest cost option that included everything.

I'm considering doing the same thing -- how necessary is the TM for CE1? I've rarely felt the need to use the teacher's sections of the books (although I'll reference the sticky note parts). I just don't know that I'm convinced it would be worth the extra cost since we do MCTLA cuddled on the couch together anyways.