Menu

Someone hinted they'd like me to home school their child.

This is a neighbor who's done some work in my house, but they are also just friends too. The Dad has talked with me and my youngest ds, 11, about our schooling and has always been very interested in what we do. Last night the mom mentioned to me that they are dissatisfied with some parts of their son's private school. He's 8 and in second grade. Mom told me they've wished at times for a more individualized education for him. What I see of him is that he is super bright. Even though he goes to a top private school, I suspect he's not very challenged there. Particularly since the school talked them into having him repeat K, even though he was reading chapter books when he was 5.

I don't even know if this is legal in our state. Not sure I want to find out or encourage this. My ds has had his struggles academically and it wouldn't surprise me if this 8 yo was academically ahead of ds in some areas.

Any thoughts? Shall I put away my fantasies of bartering a kitchen remodel by teaching someone else's kid??

Run. Run away like your pants are on fire. I have never thought this was a good idea. It's usually illegal. Not to mention the fact that nobody could pay me enough money to do it. People have asked how much I'd charge. I say, "For a private tutor for your child for nine months of the year, five days a week, 4-5 hours per day? $25,000 a year....minimum." That shuts them up quickly.

I wouldn't give up the kitchen for teaching someone else's child, no. And no. Heck, no.

Unless both parents work full-time outside the home, what prohibits them from teaching their own child?

ETA: I really should read what people actually write before I reply. ::facepalm::

I'm still not sure it's worth it. *I* would teach someone else's child under very limited circumstances, one of those being that *I* have to be completely in charge of teaching, choosing instructional materials, and so on; and I'd have a clause, written down or not, that would say that if the dc didn't complete his assignments or were otherwise uncoorporateive, and the parents were not committed to having the child in my home on a regular basis, and on time, then all bets were off and the child would be back in school. The down side of it is that you'd be making a commitment, too--no jammy days in the middle of the week, no spontaneous family vacations, no taking time off if the grandparents visit for long periods of time...although you could make that work, too, as long as your student's parents understand that your schedule is less fixed than the private school's schedule, and they can make other arrangements for their son when necessary because your school is closed.

If the parents are paying a private school already, then sure, they could pay you, at least half of what they're paying the school.

So, yeah, you could do it. But would a brand spanking new kitchen be worth it?

I have done it. I have been the private tutor who charges a lot of money. However, I was the child's teacher first in a private school setting. Then two years as a private tutor. I knew these people well. They treated me and paid me like a professional. I now teach classes in my home to other students.

I am homeschooling a highly motivated 16yo through distance learning technology. I'm committed to seeing this through because she deserves an education and I'm her only hope (also, none of the problems with this arrangement are her fault), but I wish I weren't in this situation because it takes too much time and energy from my own family.

The little boy of your acquaintance has well-to-do parents who give a hoot about his education. He's already ahead of 98% of the globe's children! His parents have the resources to switch to a better school, hire a tutor, or homeschool their child. He will learn adequately if he stays where he is, even if it's not ideal or he's not challenged. He will not be uneducated without you, so there is no moral imperative here to rescue him, and no necessity for a tremendous sacrifice on your part.

They do not need you. They just want you. They have other, more reasonable options. Say no.

I'd figure out how much your time is worth-and remember that you'll be responsible for paying taxes and social security on whatever you make, because you'll have a business. The rates would likely be similar to what most tutoring programs around here charge-which would be more than the parent is likely paying in private school tuition. Honestly, I'd consider it for the right child, IF the parent were willing to consider me a private school, and give me the same level of parent involvement-that is, I set the curriculum, I grade, I choose what food we serve in the cafeteria, and the parent largely needs to be hands off. However, the child would have to be compatible with mine and on a similar level so that we can largely use the same outside classes, at least, especially for history and science, since I do a great deal of curriculum work around those outside classes (for example, my DD spent most of today researching and writing an essay related to the co-op she'll be going to tomorrow).

I think the only way I would enter into a situation like this is if the family were very close friends and we co-taught the kids. For example, a friend and I have talked about having her kids do science and math with us (DH and I have chemistry degrees and hubby teaches math to our kids) but she would teach history and language arts/grammar. So far our schedules just don't give us enough time to do it, but I can't imagine being responsible for someone else's full education. It's stressful enough teaching our own kids!

It's specifically legal in some states, unclear in some, and illegal in others unless you're a certified teacher.

I would consider it if every single piece was in place - a kid I already knew, a family I really trusted, a kid my kids liked who was close in age to mine, an amount of money that was right, and a transportation or time situation that could work for us. In other words, I'll probably never do it.

I would only consider it if I did not have kids of my own and were doing it as my job.

My ds did gymnastics (a homeschool class actually) with 2 kids in a family that had a live in nanny who was also homeschooling the kids. That family wanted an individualized education, and needed a nanny due to the parents jobs and travel schedules. They did not care at all about the curriculum and let the nanny choose. It was a great situation for her (she was a former teacher, so I'm sure that helped). But I think that is the exception, and not the rule. It'd only be in a similar situation I'd ever consider it.

I did it for 4 years, but his mother was a very, very close friend, and the boy was failing in every way in ps- it was a train wreck. He couldn't read and was having panic attacks/tantrums. I really only felt free to do it because we had nothing to lose, I couldn't do any worse then the public school. -anyways, we had a very close relationships, she was very supportive and let me run the show. I did have a friend ask me to homeschool her 3 kids a few years before all this, they were in private school, and I said no. I felt I couldn't manage the extra kids and I knew that her standards (based on what she expected in the private school) and my casual ways would not work at all.

I tutor my niece alongside some of my son's homeschool subjects- mainly spelling and math games. She is a year older and a grade ahead of her age. I would not do this full time unless there were no other option and I do it for free because my niece has very low income parents and middling resources available to her at school. And that whole "she's my brother's daughter and my mother's granddaughter thingy. It also gives my son a partner for some things which is mutually beneficial.

I think asking a homeschooling parent to homeschool your kid is as clueless as asking a sahm to watch your kid for free since they are "already home". I have taken on a huge responsibility to educate my kids, I can't imagine the weight of juggling that with ultimate responsibility for another child's education. No way no how.

Run, don't walk. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200 or a new kitchen.

Do not collect $200 or a new kitchen.

Awww-you guys are raining on my parade\kitchen!

I'm surprised at the wholly negative responses, a little. But I agree that it's a huge responsibility. I am feeling so free these days because I'm only teaching one child now, he is not little any more, I have one out of the house in college. I do work every weekend, half time, but still this is the easiest my life has ever, ever been. I have more time now than I have since I was a child and I'm giddy! But I'd have to be to consider this, I realize. They do both work, and have to in order to afford this extremely expensive private school. I will not offer, or possibly, offer the summer.

And wait another year to redo the kitchen.

I think the only way I would enter into a situation like this is if the family were very close friends and we co-taught the kids.

I think that being close friends with the family might make things worse, if you disagreed about curriculum or a grade or discipline or ...

Run. Run away like your pants are on fire. I have never thought this was a good idea. It's usually illegal. Not to mention the fact that nobody could pay me enough money to do it. People have asked how much I'd charge. I say, "For a private tutor for your child for nine months of the year, five days a week, 4-5 hours per day? $25,000 a year....minimum." That shuts them up quickly.

I think your minimum is too low!

This is a neighbor who's done some work in my house, but they are also just friends too. The Dad has talked with me and my youngest ds, 11, about our schooling and has always been very interested in what we do. Last night the mom mentioned to me that they are dissatisfied with some parts of their son's private school. He's 8 and in second grade. Mom told me they've wished at times for a more individualized education for him. What I see of him is that he is super bright. Even though he goes to a top private school, I suspect he's not very challenged there. Particularly since the school talked them into having him repeat K, even though he was reading chapter books when he was 5.

I don't even know if this is legal in our state. Not sure I want to find out or encourage this. My ds has had his struggles academically and it wouldn't surprise me if this 8 yo was academically ahead of ds in some areas.

Any thoughts? Shall I put away my fantasies of bartering a kitchen remodel by teaching someone else's kid??

You've gotten so many negative responses that I felt as though I had to log on and give you the flip side! I homeschooled someone's child for one year---stand back--for free! I did it for the child. Simple as that. It was a unique situation that I don't feel comfortable describing, but suffice it to say it was the right thing for that child for that year. *Everyone*, including my children, were on board.

I met with the parents ahead of time and they asked me lots of open ended questions. I didn't know what they were looking for, but it wouldn't have mattered. I am who I am and I run my school the way I run my school. So I thought it best to just give it to them straight. I told them my rules, my strengths, my weaknesses (I could not teach to a learning disability, for example, because I lack experience and I knew that would take too much time away--but that was not a factor for this child), we went through what I would be teaching, but I asked for full choice in curriculum. I did send pre-tests for both math and grammar to them via email, just so I could see where any gaps were and where to begin.

Once we all agreed, I knew it was going to be a fabulous year--and for the most part, it was. I got sick in the spring for a whole month and I was exhausted by 2 pm each day, but I pushed through. Had it been just my kids, I would have cancelled school for a week (sort of) and spent more time caring for myself. I had *zero* discipline issues--and I knew ahead of time this would be minimal. (I don't necessarily like a lot of kids, but I knew I could trust this child to behave and take school seriously--or I wouldn't have offered!)

In my state, this was legal, so I had no worries about getting into trouble.

I will say, I think I'm glad I did it for free. It might have been stressful doing it for bartering, simply because there's more factors added into bartering. I encourage you to think about it. As for this child being ahead of your son academically, that's life. It's nothing for your son to be ashamed of, that's for sure. All of us are different creatures and have gifts in different areas.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

You will need to think very carefully about the potential ramifications if you really want to barter homeschooling services for a kitchen remodel. I have done many remodels, some with professionals and some with friends. Having a friend do the work has never worked out well and generally has cost us more money that we planned, thus eliminating the savings that we hoped to enjoy by having a friend do the work. But in those cases, we had a remedy worked into the contract. When we had to stay in a hotel because our only bathroom was being worked on, the contractor paid for that. But what do you do if your kitchen doesn't get done? Or if it is done wrong? What is your remedy? Stop homeschooling their child and hire someone else to fix/complete your kitchen?

I don't see a problem with educating someone else's child(ren) if your state laws allow it, and everyone's expectations are clear and written down. But bartering for a kitchen remodel is just asking for trouble.