Menu

Do you use anything specific for it? Or does it come wrapped up in other LA you use? How do you teach it? I'm just idly wondering at this point. I'm looking ahead at MFW high school and I don't see a lot of emphasis on poetry (I could just be missing it). Obviously I have plenty of time before high school, but I don't want to wait until then to get into some poetry either. I personally enjoy it and have quite a bit on my bookshelf. Should I just pick through some of my books and casually read and discuss for now?

I've used the Harp & Laurel Wreath for our poetry memorizations, but we haven't done any poetry discussions yet (other than for the memory selections).

I've eyed Memoria Press's 7th grade Poetry book, but don't think I will have time for it next year. I'm looking at using Lightning Literature 7 which has some poetry work in it.

ETA: My answer is really more about studying poetry in middle/high school...

For a manageable website of poems and poets, I like Famous Poems and Poets. It is divided into categories by when the poet lived; by alphabetical order; or by one of 5 other types of groupings (nationality; contemporary poets; women poets; african-american poets; nobel prize poets). It gives you a nice bit of background on each poet, and then you can read various poems by each poet there on the website.

To learn about the elements of poetry and the types (genres) of poetry, the Walch Toolbox series: Prose and Poetry is helpful. It has 3 sections; the first two sections cover literary elements primarily used in fiction, BUT the third section has 2-page spreads that are great for introducing the sound elements of poetry, the different meters of poetry, and then 21 types (genres) of poetry (i.e., sonnet, elegy, ballad, ode, free verse, haiku, etc.), each with samples of famous poems. I think you could use this with grades 6 or 7 and older as a great way to introduce aspects and types of poetry, and then a little at a time read through some of the great, classic poems and poets.

For background information and short articles on analysis / themes / symbolism / motifs, check out the free online Sparknotes poetry guide on about 2 dozen famous poets in Western history.

To get a little more into analyzing poetry yourselves, take a look at Introduction to Poetry: Forms and Elements for a first exposure. I would guess this is good for about gr. 8 and up.

No personal experience with this, but Favorite Poem has links to many lesson plan resources for teachers of all ages of students to help them teach poetry appreciation, poetry history, and how to write poetry.

You asked how did WE teach poetry:

We did a more WTM style Literature in high school, but did use Lit. guides as a springboard into information and discussion. Our DSs did Lightning Lit 7 and 8 in middle school guides, and each has 2-3 units on poetry. (The high school LL programs do, as well -- we just didn't use the high school programs). We also used the Progeny Press Intro to Poetry and the Walch Prose & Poetry that I listed above, and in high school, I just included famous poems/poets as part of our Literature, and facilitated our reading and analysis as we went along.

Neither of our DSs like poetry; however I did manage to find quite a few classic poems that, while they won't admit to it, they actually found interesting. :rolleyes: Things like Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (undead zombies!), Byron's "Darkness" (and compare with the movie The Road!!), Wordsworth's "Daffodils" or Longfellow's "The Village Blacksmith" (and then watched on youtube the Bullwinkle parodies!). Ninja-like, I managed to get quite a few others slipped in as well. LOL. :ph34r:

BEST of luck in your poetry at home! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori D has wonderful answers (as usual).

We have used Progeny Press Poetry poetry and Walch Prose and Poetry. The Walch was actually very interesting and covered poetry topics I've not seen in other books.

Classical Writing also has a poetry series. We've only used their Beginning Poetry, but they also have intermediate and adv.