Menu

French?

Bellamoon

My ODS (10) has never learned any language. We asked him what he wants to learn and he picked French. Is that doable? We think we want to use Rosetta Stone HS version. Does that sound good? Is Rosetta stone a good program for 6th graders (that is when we would start using it, he is currently in 5th)

We enjoyed switched-on-schoolhouse elementary French. I used it with my then 2nd - 6th graders. We've just received our l'Art de Lire books in the mail today, so I can't comment on the program yet, but I think it's going to be a good next step for us. I also considered Skoldo or Galore Park French if you're wanting some popular options to google. Also many libraries offer Mango for learning languages - it's free and similar to Rosetta Stone in approach.

We have RS, and I think it's a fine program, but I just don't think it gets you speaking sentences that you would actually use in your every day life quickly enough. I think the method is great, it really is like immersion, but I want to be able to say things like, "Hey, come on, let's go to the park" or "What do you want for lunch?" I want to be able to start using the language right away in every day life with my kids. Not, "the man is cooking". Personally, everything that I've found so far is either geared towards touristy comprehension of the language, or like RS in that it just starts you off with such basic stuff. I think the ideal program would just have you talking in actual sentences (that you would say in your every day life) right away.

I don't know anything about the materials this person sells, I have not seen them, I just liked his TED talk about learning languages. He talks about speaking the language from Day 1, and how anyone can learn a language. He has been traveling the world for years learning languages, and I think he has a lot of good points here about learning languages:

http://speakfromday1.com/tedx/