Menu

Balancing classical Ideals with a workbook loving Son.

jeninok

I have been learning that as much as I want to be more Classical, DS does really well with workbooks, Evan Moor Daily Geography 6 is a huge hit, the simple spelling/vocab books I have picked up at Mardel and Barnes and Noble have been a hit. We get through them, he is getting good scores on his work, and the tears are much less reduced.

We LOVE CLE math, DS has jumped light years ahead in both confidence and understanding using a combination of Miquon and now the Keys To series in conjunction with CLE. He burned through the 300 series this fall and we are now working on the 400 series with much success. The change in math is amazing, I honestly had to start this kid over in the middle of 4th grade when we pulled him out because he was so lost and never gained any number sense.

We are doing Elemental Science Logic Biology, as well as MP Famous Men of Greece, which seems to strike a good balance between workbook and more classical approach.

We have been doing Writing Tales this year too, and frankly I love it, but it is sloooooow and painful going and he doesn't care for it, and I honestly don't know how much he is actually learning.

I am about to order the next few CLE math workbooks and keep waffling about putting some LA workbooks, or even their 5th grade reading Lightunits in my cart.

Can anyone comment on their Reading selections, I know they won't be secular, but do you think we could make it work in our liberal household? We had to dump Apples spelling because it was just too much.

I know MP has a classical writing program as well, and I am also looking at LATL, but CLE math has worked so well I keep thinking it might be what I should go with.

I've noticed the same thing with my son. He also likes CLE. I think when faced with a blank page on which to write it kind of intimidates him...even if I write out the sentence for him to copy on said blank page. Somehow the structure of the workbooks feels better, I guess. He also hates being asked to draw a picture or act out a scene or do anything creative in response to a reading. He just likes to get his work done! He will narrate but thinks it's ridiculous because obviously I know what I just read.

We're still in the early years of CLE reading so I can't help you out with that, but you could just by it and skip the parts you don't like. It's pretty affordable after all.