Menu

Complete Language Arts Program

I use it with my daughter and absolutely love it! We started in the middle of the year last year when the TOG writing just wasn't working. She is in PreA and it's truly amazing how her writing has improved. I'll definitely be buying it again midyear when we finish the current book.

It has copywork, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, dictation, and writing. The writing instruction is very similar to IEIW, with key work outlining.

CQLA is one of the best homeschool purchases I've ever made.

Kris

Are you talking about Character Quality Language Arts (CQLA)? If so, I have been considering it. The only thing holding me back is that they don't teach diagramming with branches. I prefer a program that diagrams with branches. Their writing portion does look good though.

I have a friend who is a rep and she is allowed to set her own prices. I think she is putting orders in for $70 for the 1st book and $65 for each additional book ordered at the same time. Let me know if you want full details and contact info.

I use it with my daughter and absolutely love it! We started in the middle of the year last year when the TOG writing just wasn't working. She is in PreA and it's truly amazing how her writing has improved. I'll definitely be buying it again midyear when we finish the current book.

It has copywork, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, dictation, and writing. The writing instruction is very similar to IEIW, with key work outlining.

CQLA is one of the best homeschool purchases I've ever made.

Kris

What grades are you using this for? About how mucht time, teacher intensive etc. is it? I like how they focus on a character quality each month & the weekly copywork passage.

Are you talking about Character Quality Language Arts (CQLA)? If so, I have been considering it. The only thing holding me back is that they don't teach diagramming with branches. I prefer a program that diagrams with branches. Their writing portion does look good though.

I have a friend who is a rep and she is allowed to set her own prices. I think she is putting orders in for $70 for the 1st book and $65 for each additional book ordered at the same time. Let me know if you want full details and contact info.

Yes, that's the one I'm asking about.

What grades are you using this for? About how mucht time, teacher intensive etc. is it? I like how they focus on a character quality each month & the weekly copywork passage.

My daughter was in 2nd grade last year. I waited until she could read fluently to start using it. Each book can be used for multiple grades. There are extension assignments for the upper end of the recommended grade range.

I spend very little time preparing. I've heard of many people whose children do it totally independently. I still sit with my daughter and do it with her. I'm going to work on more independence in all subjects this year.

Most days it takes about 20 minutes. At the end of the week when she has to write it takes longer. She has spent as long as an hour on the writing days.

We're using PreA and I suspect the other levels take longer, with more writing.

One of the most helpful activities has been the "Checklist Challenge" after every writing assignment. We go through her composition sentence by sentence, making corrections and revisions. For instance, one item on the checklist is always to check that every sentence begins with a capital and ends with a punctuation mark. Another item might be to circle all the verbs and then replace one of them with a stronger verb.

You can go to their website and download a free lesson from each level and use it before deciding. http://www.tfths.com/cqla.php

Kris

I am so excited to see this offered through a retailer. We have used Pre A and A. We took a break to do Shurley English and TOG writing, we loved it, but my older son wanted to do CQLA again, so we are doing B this year. The author has a section in the teacher manual, where she talks about how she liked different things about different curriculum. So she took the best of each one that she liked and made her own. It combines the best of LLATL, IEW, Editor in Cheif, and others (I can't remember them off the top of my head.) It also adequately supplies you with a list of extra resources to be used to teach character traits. They have a free month sample on their website if you want to give it a try.

http://www.tfths.com/samples.php

Dorothy

ETA: I am sorry I didn't see that the PP had already linked the samples. I will also agree with her that the Checklist Challenge is great!

Thank you ladies. I'm going to try some of the samples with my kiddos. I showed this to my dh and he liked it. Although I can't use it this year because I just finished buying all I needed days before I found this program :(

Maybe next year I will start Caleb & Brent than pull in the younger ones when they are ready. I love how everything is pulled together.

Blessings,