Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

My son just got back from his first overnight Scout camp. He had so much fun and is completely filthy. Apparently they had showers but none of the boys would use them. We got our first bit of rain in five months this week, so instead of the camp being dusty, it got muddy and then dusty again. The camp is out in the desert where it got to be about 103 most days. Thankfully Harry wore his hat and slathered himself in sunscreen. 

He earned five badges and two partials. He did orienteering, lifesaving, swimming, citizen of the world, and astronomy. The partials are wood carving and cinematography. 

It's nice to have him back. He needs to shower for a while and then nap. Apparently having fun with friends until 12:00 and then getting up for the day at 6:30 leaves you a little taxed in the pleasantness department when your mom picks you up. 

Just a quick update.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HE PASSED!!!!!!!!  My oldest passed his Eagle BofR tonight!     I have an EAGLE SCOUT!

I've been following this thread for a long time but haven't posted until now.   I wanted to brag a little that my son just became an Eagle Scout! Given his learning challenges and long history of me

Middle son passed his Eagle Board of Review tonight!!!!!!!!!   I now have TWO Eagle Scouts!

Posted Images

Geezle and 8 of his fellow patrol members finished the requirements for Tenderfoot at an overnight camp. It was so incredibly hot. We were the only campers in the park, which hosts several large groups in more temperate months. No one got dehydrated and all the boys met their goals. It was a really good campout.

• Like 3

My son just got back from his first overnight Scout camp. He had so much fun and is completely filthy. Apparently they had showers but none of the boys would use them. We got our first bit of rain in five months this week, so instead of the camp being dusty, it got muddy and then dusty again. The camp is out in the desert where it got to be about 103 most days. Thankfully Harry wore his hat and slathered himself in sunscreen. 

He earned five badges and two partials. He did orienteering, lifesaving, swimming, citizen of the world, and astronomy. The partials are wood carving and cinematography. 

It's nice to have him back. He needs to shower for a while and then nap. Apparently having fun with friends until 12:00 and then getting up for the day at 6:30 leaves you a little taxed in the pleasantness department when your mom picks you up. 

Just a quick update.

That is how my older son's first 2 years at camp went.  This year, it was different.  I guess he's older and needs less sleep, although he still napped pretty well when he got back.  The unpleasantness was nothing compared to in the past, however.  He was much more pleasant and communicative, although getting camp details out of him is always a struggle.

Oh, he still doesn't use the showers at camp.  Well, not much.  This year he proudly told me he took a shower. That's shower in the singular.  I guess that's one more than last year, however.  :cool:

• Like 1

Geezle and 8 of his fellow patrol members finished the requirements for Tenderfoot at an overnight camp. It was so incredibly hot. We were the only campers in the park, which hosts several large groups in more temperate months. No one got dehydrated and all the boys met their goals. It was a really good campout.

Glad they had a good time, despite the heat.  It's always fun to advance in rank.

That is how my older son's first 2 years at camp went.  This year, it was different.  I guess he's older and needs less sleep, although he still napped pretty well when he got back.  The unpleasantness was nothing compared to in the past, however.  He was much more pleasant and communicative, although getting camp details out of him is always a struggle.

Oh, he still doesn't use the showers at camp.  Well, not much.  This year he proudly told me he took a shower. That's shower in the singular.  I guess that's one more than last year, however.  :cool:

Just a quick update.

My oldest is now 16 - he has packed clean clothes for everyday and plans to shower everyday, maybe twice because it will be hot.

My youngest is 12 and has packed 3 changes of clothes and I'll be lucky if he even gets close to water.  However, he's starting to get a little acne and he's freaked out by it, so there's a chance of at least some face washing!

• Like 2

My oldest is now 16 - he has packed clean clothes for everyday and plans to shower everyday, maybe twice because it will be hot.  

Tee hee!  This is encouraging.

My youngest is 12 and has packed 3 changes of clothes and I'll be lucky if he even gets close to water.  However, he's starting to get a little acne and he's freaked out by it, so there's a chance of at least some face washing!  

I confess, but I still do most of my son's packing for camp.  Although I told him this was the last year.  It's hard to give it up when he requests that I pack him a complete outfit WITH underwear and socks in individual plastic bags, and then he actually wears a fresh set of clothes each day. If he had to root around in his bag, I know he wouldn't. 

Jamboree is different though -- no individual outfits in separate bags.. His troop provided 9 tee shirts and they are to wear one each day, after which they can trade it if they want.  And he is only bringing scout pants/shorts, other than sleep clothes, so he's on his own.  I hope this will be the transition I am hoping for.  Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up wearing the SAME exact shirt each day because they all look the same, anyhow.  Unless he trades it or remember to put it in a dirty laundry bag, it will probably always remain at the top...

• Like 1

Tee hee!  This is encouraging.

I confess, but I still do most of my son's packing for camp.  Although I told him this was the last year.  It's hard to give it up when he requests that I pack him a complete outfit WITH underwear and socks in individual plastic bags, and then he actually wears a fresh set of clothes each day. If he had to root around in his bag, I know he wouldn't. 

Jamboree is different though -- no individual outfits in separate bags.. His troop provided 9 tee shirts and they are to wear one each day, after which they can trade it if they want.  And he is only bringing scout pants/shorts, other than sleep clothes, so he's on his own.  I hope this will be the transition I am hoping for.  Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up wearing the SAME exact shirt each day because they all look the same, anyhow.  Unless he trades it or remember to put it in a dirty laundry bag, it will probably always remain at the top...

I didn't even think to put his clothes into individual bags. That's brilliant. I asked ds if he wore all of his clothes and he said no. When I pulled the clothes out of his bag though, they all seemed pretty dirty. But it's camp. Dust goes everywhere. And stays forever. 

• Like 1

I'm finally joining this conversation!  It sounds like everyone is having a fun and productive summer.

Ds is headed to summer camp today. He is signed up for swimming, orienteering, leather working, fishing, and archery.  The week is supposed to be hot and humid, so I'm really glad swimming is one of his merit badges :) .  They have a family dinner on Wednesday, so we'll get to see how he's doing and get the tour. Next month, his troop is going on a canoe trip.

Dd is working on her bronze this summer.  They are doing a pet supply drive for our local humane society, which nearly closed last month due to lack of funding. It's a good cause and I'm proud of her troop.  We also have an overnight at the zoo scheduled for next month.

• Like 3

I picked up both ds and dd at their scout camps yesterday. Everything is washed, dried and put away. Ground cloths are hung up and drying out. Sleeping bags are about to go into dryer (no heat) with a tennis ball. I almost fainted when ds brought almost everything back home! 

The only things missing are:

-- waterproof match box ($1.99) and matches. Someone else melted it in a fire.

-- mini screwdriver from screwdriver pen thingy (about $2) from local hardware store.

-- Totin' Chip card. Cannot be replaced, must be re-earned. Not my problem.

I am still in shock at how little went missing, compared to when ds first joined Boy Scouts. Even the flashlight and headlamp came back. Wow!

Dd is so organized. Her first year at camp and no losses at all!

• Like 2

I am still in shock at how little went missing, compared to when ds first joined Boy Scouts. Even the flashlight and headlamp came back. Wow!

Dd is so organized. Her first year at camp and no losses at all!

There's hope yet then. Geezle would lose his head if it weren't attached. It's slowly getting better, but he's got a long way to go. Trinqueta is like your dd. All of her stuff made it home from camp in good shape.

There's hope yet then. Geezle would lose his head if it weren't attached. It's slowly getting better, but he's got a long way to go. Trinqueta is like your dd. All of her stuff made it home from camp in good shape.

During ds's first year, I went up to camp during the week and found about 16 things missing -- including rain gear, beach towel, goggles, waterproof watch w/ alarm, expensive hiking boots, 3 MB handbooks, pocketknife, flashlight, ds's entire insect & shell collections for Nature MB, and more. It's now ds's third year, but the nightmare of year 1 is still vivid. If my ds could improve, there is hope for everyone, lol!

During ds's first year, I went up to camp during the week and found about 16 things missing -- including rain gear, beach towel, goggles, waterproof watch w/ alarm, expensive hiking boots, 3 MB handbooks, pocketknife, flashlight, ds's entire insect & shell collections for Nature MB, and more. It's now ds's third year, but the nightmare of year 1 is still vivid. If my ds could improve, there is hope for everyone, lol!

:svengo:

I was just responding in another thread about my absent minded ds and now I read this after dropping him off at camp 3 hours ago!?

Luckily, the only thing of real *value* that he has with him is his Scout book. I'd hate for him to misplace that!  I sent him with a freshly washed pack of white Hanes t-shirts. I don't care what happens to those.  His scoutmaster said that now would not be the time he'd buy his son new hiking boots or tennis shoes, but that that was up to us :) .

Welcome Sparrow!!

It's awesome to have another mom in both scouts here too. My DD is just beginning Juniors in the fall and I'm her troop leader so I've been researching the Bronze award quite a bit the past few weeks.

The requirements for the new Boy Scout merit badges were released today.

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

I bet there will be a lot of confusion and questions regarding some of the Sustainability requirements.

The water usage requirement would be hard for us.  We've recently moved, and everything in our house is now low-flow.  We *almost* got green certification, but didn't due to some inspection our general contractor didn't get taken care of.  I'm not sure how much lower we could go with our water usage.  Shorter showers, I guess.  LOL, don't want to tell a 13 year old boy to take fewer showers!

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

I bet there will be a lot of confusion and questions regarding some of the Sustainability requirements.

Stuff. Do A AND either B OR C.

A. Keep a log of the “stuff†your family purchases (excluding food items) for two weeks. In your log, categorize each purchase as an essential need (such as soap) or a desirable want (such as a DVD). Share what you learn with your counselor.

I could see myself sneaking "stuff" into the house, so ds does not record it... feminine hygiene products, underwear. 

ETA Ds got his blue card for Computers a few days ago, before Digital Technology is released. Ds does not have a cell phone,  blog/web page, or fb/twitter/etc account. I was concerned in case technology that we don't use is part of the new MB.

Stuff. Do A AND either B OR C.

A. Keep a log of the “stuff†your family purchases (excluding food items) for two weeks. In your log, categorize each purchase as an essential need (such as soap) or a desirable want (such as a DVD). Share what you learn with your counselor.

I could see myself sneaking "stuff" into the house, so ds does not record it... feminine hygiene products, underwear. 

ETA Ds got his blue card for Computers a few days ago, before Digital Technology is released. Ds does not have a cell phone,  blog/web page, or fb/twitter/etc account. I was concerned in case technology that we don't use is part of the new MB.

I'm not sure I see the value in some of this stuff. Managing the house is MY job. Yes, everyone needs to learn to do it but honestly... the time I spend grocery shopping and meal planning and furniture shopping or whatever is GROWN UP time in my house. The idea of dragging my DS into it all is a little repulsive to me. I'd be more tempted to buy 1000 condoms and sanitary pads just to skew the results. By all means, have the kids keep a log. But it's really no one else's business what I, as the adult, purchase on Amazon. I don't want to tell DS' counselor that I just bought a purple Le Creuset Dutch oven and organic white vinegar and on and on and on. Underwear... I'd buy a LOT of underwear during this time. :lol

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

My younger son has signed up to do Sustainability at the end of August, but I think he'll change his mind after reading the requirements.  He already has Environmental Science, so he doesn't need Sust.; he just thought it would be cool to be one of the first people to get it.   And it would be, but I think he needs to concentrate on his open MBs.

I'll suggest that he finish up Family Life and Personal Management instead of opening Sust.   If he's set on going, I'll take him, of course - it's his choice, but with him a First Class Scout and wanting to get Star, he needs to finish up his Eagle-required badges.

According to Weather Underground, it's above 90 and feels like 106 at camp today - poor kid.  Thankfully he's in the pool part of the day!  I wouldn't be surprised if the boys slept outside tonight instead of in their Adirondack shelter. 

I'm not sure I see the value in some of this stuff. Managing the house is MY job. Yes, everyone needs to learn to do it but honestly... the time I spend grocery shopping and meal planning and furniture shopping or whatever is GROWN UP time in my house. The idea of dragging my DS into it all is a little repulsive to me. I'd be more tempted to buy 1000 condoms and sanitary pads just to skew the results. By all means, have the kids keep a log. But it's really no one else's business what I, as the adult, purchase on Amazon. I don't want to tell DS' counselor that I just bought a purple Le Creuset Dutch oven and organic white vinegar and on and on and on. Underwear... I'd buy a LOT of underwear during this time. :lol

I think I'd probably just list the things that actually affected my son, rather than everything that came into the house. Except for the three different random purchases I'd make at Victoria's Secret. Those would be prominent on the list. But that's just me.

Actually I'd probably steer him to one of the other requirements. But I'd want to list the VS purchases (the first in many years).

• Like 1

I had to let all the Scout mamas and dads know that we went and had dinner with ds at summer camp tonight. Is it possible for a kid to grow up in 3 days?  He seems more mature!  He's having such a great time and proudly gave us the grand tour. I actually think he's going to be a little sad when Saturday rolls around.

I just had to share with some folks that will understand :) .

• Like 5

I'm finally seeing progress from my boys, anyway.  Older ds's two best scouting buddies had their Eagle boards this month!  This has inspired ds to finish 2 required merit badges (just 1 left -- no progress on that one ... blue card has been open about a year), and he has finally picked his project and is working on getting a first draft of the first set to the Eagle Coordinator before we leave for our family reunion.  He's also gathering materials for some pre-fundraising while we're with relatives who will likely be willing to give once the time for collecting money comes.  (He's re-doing the warehouse space for our church's food truck to the poor/food bank program, and adding a handwashing sink and replacing and relocating the industrial ice machine.)   

Little guy has had his Star scoutmaster conference, but the boards of review got caught up on discussion of a scout whose board decided that he needed to work on some things for a second time before getting Life.  (To make it worse, he's a child of divorce, and one parent is supportive of the board's decision, and the other is unhappy with the committee over it.)  The committee guy who sets up the boards of review offered ds one outside of the meeting, but our vacation put a wrench into that plan, so likely the week we get back (no big rush, he's barely 12 1/2, and his desired leadership position for Life is Den Chief, which won't start until the Cubs start meeting in September, anyway).  He does have his non-required badges for Life, and has 3 required ones open/started/in various stages of completion, though none are signed off yet, but should have no problem getting there by March.  The more difficult thing for him will be demonstrating the scout skills -- he might have to have a scoutmaster come watch him with the cubs, since our troop has NO sixth graders for the coming year ... politics -- the cubmaster took the last Web II den to another troop with him ... new Cubmaster now, and the Den leader of the new Web II den has a boy in our troop and they have had one of our new Eagles as Den Chief since they were Tigers ... they're a big group, and will probably be two patrols worth, come February.

• Like 1

Is it possible for a kid to grow up in 3 days?  He seems more mature!  He's having such a great time and proudly gave us the grand tour. I actually think he's going to be a little sad when Saturday rolls around.

I just had to share with some folks that will understand :) .

I think so.  DS always seems a bit more mature after having been away from home for awhile.

I am so glad he is having a good time.

Our council approved DS's NOA - Camping segment.  :D   I was happy they told me since DS is at Jambo.  I don't know why I was thinking they would wait to tell us  but it was in the back of my mind.  They told me that they are backing DS 100% because, if he completes it, he will be the first in our council to earn the medal.

He has many requirements to go but I honestly think he can do it if he stays focused. I hope he stays focused...being 16 and a junior in high school will have its distractions. :auto:

• Like 3

I just got a call from camp. My sons backpack was found and the EPI pens are still there! Best part is they have people fom our council there and they will bring tha pack to the district office for us so I don't ave to drive 6 hours round trip to get it!

• Like 5

Will the epi pens be okay or wil they have gotten too hot or cold?

I think they should be OK. Temps in Seattle in last two weeks have ranged in the low 70's to upper 80's but the camp is at least 10 degrees cooler.

• Like 1

Younger ds came home with 6 completed MB - swimming, space exploration, oceanography, basketry, fingerprinting and textiles.  He also earned First Class while there.  He is so excited.  He is planning on being Star by the end of the year.

Older ds didn't do so well.  They changed the schedule and he couldn't fit in a 2 of the 4 required MBs he had planned to do.  He got partials on the other 2 - not too bad, but not what he expected.  He felt like the week was a waste of time.  He is the ASPL and he was very frustrated with the adult leaders lack of help when the little boys wouldn't listen.  He'll be having a discussion with the SM and ASM at the next meeting.  He'll do the talking, but I'll be there for support.  I know his attitude is part of the problem - he and the SM have very different and opposing personalities - but there has to be a way to improve things. 

Younger ds came home with 6 completed MB - swimming, space exploration, oceanography, basketry, fingerprinting and textiles.  He also earned First Class while there.  He is so excited.  He is planning on being Star by the end of the year.

Older ds didn't do so well.  They changed the schedule and he couldn't fit in a 2 of the 4 required MBs he had planned to do.  He got partials on the other 2 - not too bad, but not what he expected.  He felt like the week was a waste of time.  He is the ASPL and he was very frustrated with the adult leaders lack of help when the little boys wouldn't listen.  He'll be having a discussion with the SM and ASM at the next meeting.  He'll do the talking, but I'll be there for support.  I know his attitude is part of the problem - he and the SM have very different and opposing personalities - but there has to be a way to improve things. 

Our troop has an active Committee Chair who has often stepped in as an extra person in difficult discussions. Would this work with you? Sorry your older ds had a difficult time.

Ds has completed the requirements/worksheets for Chess and Computers mbs. So now he has to COMMUNICATE that he has done this. That will be the hard part for him.

For computers, ds tried programs that were new to him, rather than the word processing/spreadsheet options. We got SketchBook Express (free), Google SketchUp (free), and FileMaker Pro 12 (30 day free trial, but I LOVE this program and am SO tempted to buy it). Just for fun, ds wants to try WordPress for blogging and Sandvox for web design. He wasn't much interested in using those as part of the requirements, as he had little interest in making Scout-oriented blogs/webpages.

Next up is working on Citizenship in the Nation.

Our troop has an active Committee Chair who has often stepped in as an extra person in difficult discussions. Would this work with you? Sorry your older ds had a difficult time.

Unfortunately, our CC has the same personality as our SM.   However, a couple of the ASMs will be able to help older ds with the discussions.  One of them will step up.

• Like 1

DS submitted his application for Eagle yesterday.  It was quite the process.  He is the first one in his troop to use the new application and follow the new procedure.

No one in the area knew what should be on the Life Ambition and Purpose statement or how long it should be.  DS wrote about a page (single spaced).

He took his completed application to the District Advancement Chair who told him he needed to photocopy all of the blue cards for the merit badges he was using for Eagle, include before and after pictures of the project and take it to the Council Service Center an hour away.  No one knew about these requirements since our District hasn't had any Eagles this year (2013).

We photocopied everything DS had and he slipped it all into a report cover.  We drove the hour to Council where the woman looked at the application to verify it was complete and then told DS she would call the District Advancement Chair and tell him it was ready to be picked up and that the DAC would call DS to schedule the EBOR.

The silliness of it all astounds me.  We live 10 mins from the DAC.  We had to drive an hour to submit an application for a 5 minute review and now have to wait who knows how long before the DAC can get the application.  He already told DS it would be awhile since he wasn't planning a trip to the Council.  I sure hope someone brings it to him or that they mail it.

• Like 2

DS submitted his application for Eagle yesterday.  It was quite the process.  He is the first one in his troop to use the new application and follow the new procedure.

No one in the area knew what should be on the Life Ambition and Purpose statement or how long it should be.  DS wrote about a page (single spaced).

He took his completed application to the District Advancement Chair who told him he needed to photocopy all of the blue cards for the merit badges he was using for Eagle, include before and after pictures of the project and take it to the Council Service Center an hour away.  No one knew about these requirements since our District hasn't had any Eagles this year (2013).

We photocopied everything DS had and he slipped it all into a report cover.  We drove the hour to Council where the woman looked at the application to verify it was complete and then told DS she would call the District Advancement Chair and tell him it was ready to be picked up and that the DAC would call DS to schedule the EBOR.

The silliness of it all astounds me.  We live 10 mins from the DAC.  We had to drive an hour to submit an application for a 5 minute review and now have to wait who knows how long before the DAC can get the application.  He already told DS it would be awhile since he wasn't planning a trip to the Council.  I sure hope someone brings it to him or that they mail it.

Council does not seem helpful, friendly, courteous or kind, do they? 

But congrats on the Eagle so far!

ETA Sorry about this comment! Reading further on, I see that I am even more clueless about Eagle procedures than I had realized. Ds, after all, is only 1st Class at this point -- he's still thinking about the service hours for the Star award -- no comparison!

My son is the first one in the troop to go thru with the new app too. He e-mailed as well as hardcopied. It was apparent at the project approval stage that members had used the e-mail copy.

I'd suggest, if your council has a yahoo group, to put up a request that anyone going the way of the DAC bring it over to him, or meet him at a council event.

Did your ds scan all of the blue cards?  Did he attach the pics to the emails?  No one even mentioned to us that emailing was an option.  I guess that's what happens with a bunch of older adult scouters. Many of these guys still don't have email accounts and a few do not have cell phones.

Can you explain the bolded part to me?  What members? 

I'm the DAC for our district and I'd need to see the hard copy of the blue cards in their books. When we sit for EBoR, I don't want to make a hard copy for the members--it needs to be there already. Same with life purpose.

Of course we need before and after pictures of the Eagle project--our district takes over 8 hours to drive from one end to the other--I can't be driving around looking at them all! And it would be ridiculous to expect my entire board to do so. Besides, doesn't the boy want to put in a nice article in the paper, showing hard-working boys with the final project? That's the fun part!

The new book is SO streamlined compared to the old--it's really simple.

I have several folks in outlying areas to do a last book check before it goes to Council. Unless I can meet the boy at OA or something, I'm not going to drive 4 hours to look at a book! It's easier to find and correct mistakes BEFORE it goes to Council. If the boy doesn't have anyone nearby, we sit on the phone, going over page by page. Had one just yesterday, at his check--he was missing his inspection sheet. I can go over each page, reminding them--did you do this? Do you have this? Is this line filled out (it gets missed a lot). We have pretty good books turned in from our district and it's due to a lot of hard work! I'll have one arriving on Monday and then two EBoRs to schedule!

• Like 1

My boys left this morning along with 8 other troop members for West Virginia where they will work on the white water merit badge. Dss 2 & 3 went along as junior assistant scoutmasters. They are all looking forward to a week of fun on the water.

• Like 2

My daughter finally got everything submitted for her Gold Award Proposal.  She's excited that it will actually tie in with the work she did for her Silver Award, but with a bigger actual impact.  Now, I'm just hoping she can actually get it all done while also keeping up with her difficult courseload this year!

• Like 4

I'm the DAC for our district and I'd need to see the hard copy of the blue cards in their books. When we sit for EBoR, I don't want to make a hard copy for the members--it needs to be there already. Same with life purpose.

Of course we need before and after pictures of the Eagle project--our district takes over 8 hours to drive from one end to the other--I can't be driving around looking at them all! And it would be ridiculous to expect my entire board to do so. Besides, doesn't the boy want to put in a nice article in the paper, showing hard-working boys with the final project? That's the fun part!

I wasn't implying that they should drive around looking at projects.  If my statement reads that way, I apologize.

The new book is SO streamlined compared to the old--it's really simple.

The Eagle project book?  It is my understanding that only pages 19-20 are to be turned in with the application.  Does your council require the entire book to be submitted?

I have several folks in outlying areas to do a last book check before it goes to Council. Unless I can meet the boy at OA or something, I'm not going to drive 4 hours to look at a book! It's easier to find and correct mistakes BEFORE it goes to Council. If the boy doesn't have anyone nearby, we sit on the phone, going over page by page. Had one just yesterday, at his check--he was missing his inspection sheet. I can go over each page, reminding them--did you do this? Do you have this? Is this line filled out (it gets missed a lot). We have pretty good books turned in from our district and it's due to a lot of hard work! I'll have one arriving on Monday and then two EBoRs to schedule!

What book are you talking about?  DS was initially told to print the online application (2 pages; 3 if you include the Life Statement) and submit tpages 19-20 from the Project workbook.  That's it.  It was only after the DAC said to photocopy the blue cards.  No where else did it say these were requirements for the application.

What is an inspection sheet?  Where can I find it?

My daughter finally got everything submitted for her Gold Award Proposal.  She's excited that it will actually tie in with the work she did for her Silver Award, but with a bigger actual impact.  Now, I'm just hoping she can actually get it all done while also keeping up with her difficult courseload this year!

Alright. Spill it, Mama! What is she doing?

DD is working on her bronze this year. This is her first year being a Junior. Our troop's going to be working with our local animal shelter. I dropped the paperwork off this week for the people to look at and prioritize what they need. The shelter wanted towels and food and DD laughed and said, "Dream bigger! We'll do that too but we want a REAL project!!"

I started DD early on her first journey because I wanted one kid under my belt so she can help everyone else.

Ds just got back today from his first full week at Cub Scout camp. When asked if he was at all homesick his reply was “no, but now I’m campsick.†I guess that’s a success. :) 

• Like 4

Alright. Spill it, Mama! What is she doing?

DD is working on her bronze this year. This is her first year being a Junior. Our troop's going to be working with our local animal shelter. I dropped the paperwork off this week for the people to look at and prioritize what they need. The shelter wanted towels and food and DD laughed and said, "Dream bigger! We'll do that too but we want a REAL project!!"

I started DD early on her first journey because I wanted one kid under my belt so she can help everyone else.

For her Silver Award, she got involved with environmental impacts of fracking and learned about the really poor air quality in our area, so she's working on a project to improve air quality using plants and working with Master Gardeners to develop a "pass it on" approach to propagating and distributing these.  It's a nice mix of her Bronze and Silver.  For her Bronze, her troop worked together to start a community garden and then built wheelchair accessible raised beds for a local nursing home. 

We've certainly had trouble finding the sustainable type projects that aren't a one-time deal.  Good luck to your daughter and troop!

• Like 1

Somewhere in the process, the Eagle Candidate is generally expected to have a uniform inspection. The form is online. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf It's possible that your Council will not require it.

Our Eagle list is here:  http://www.wccbsa.org/program/eaglesnest/advancmentforms

Very nice.  Thanks for the link.  I can see your boys are well prepared for the EBOR.

Just popping into this thread to say that next week we will have our Eagle CoH for our family's third and fourth Eagle Scouts! We got FOUR Eagles in less than a year - not an easy feat, lemmetellya!

And my 15yo is a full time counselor at camp this summer, teaching metalworking.

But alas, it seems our time in BSA is coming to a close as our troop is dissolving as a result of the national membership change. When we come back from our foray around the country, I'm not sure if we will seek out another troop, go along with whatever our old troop is changing over to, or quit altogether. Still praying for guidance on that decision.

• Like 3

Just popping into this thread to say that next week we will have our Eagle CoH for our family's third and fourth Eagle Scouts! We got FOUR Eagles in less than a year - not an easy feat, lemmetellya!

This is wonderful!  Congratulations to all of your boys!

And my 15yo is a full time counselor at camp this summer, teaching metalworking.

Yay!  DS was a CIT for a tad.  He loved it.  I hope your DS is having a memorable experience.

But alas, it seems our time in BSA is coming to a close as our troop is dissolving as a result of the national membership change. When we come back from our foray around the country, I'm not sure if we will seek out another troop, go along with whatever our old troop is changing over to, or quit altogether. Still praying for guidance on that decision.

:(  ((hugs))I am sure you will make the decision that is best for your family.

My DH and son, along with 12 other boys and 3 other adults, left for Camp Baldwin (Eastern Oregon) this a.m.  The entire troop will be working on Horsemanship while there in addition to several other badges of choice.  My son plans to finish up Swimming, First Aid, and Environmental Science as well as see what else interested him during his time there.